“Millgate House "Simply the Best"”
Review of Millgate House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Millgate House
Ranked #1 of 51 Richmond B&B and Inns
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Millgate House "Simply the Best"”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from our much anticipated and much delayed second visit to the wonderful Millgate House in Richmond.The property delights with it's beautifully chosen decor, magnficent (no other word is appropriate) garden, and wonderfully appointed rooms.
This weekend we stayed in the self-contained apartment that opens out onto the garden, this provided an idyliic setting both at the start & end of the day as the garden must be appreciated, it's a miniature Eden!, full of vitality, colour, blossom. Sunshine in the morning, a stroll around the garden coffee in hand, then an evening sitting amongst the roses, wine at hand! Pefect! ...Breakfast ...the best you could wish for - loganberries, figs, strawberries, raspberries, ....the luxury muesli alone was worth the trip! Superb ....GO THERE NOW!

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually styled and offer something different - their website is a very good g...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Millgate house was our third night during our walk from Kirkby Stephen to Robin Hood's Bay. We enjoyed meeting our hosts Tim and Austin, and much appreciated their local advice and the care that they had put into enriching their house with antiques and objets d'art. A very enjoyable evening after a day's walk in beautiful Swaledale, followed by the best breakfast of our seven day walk!

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the garden and river valley below. We recommend it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
nashville, tennessee
Reviewed June 25, 2013

You don't get selected by The Good Hotel Guide as B&B of the Year without doing something right. And year after year Millgate House keeps getting it right - a beautiful house filled with beautiful things, generously-sized bedrooms with amazingly comfortable beds, an incredible breakfast (the likes of which we've never before encountered), an award winning garden, and owners who are genuinely interested in their guests and determined to make them feel at home. Moreover, the staff is superb so that, even if the owners are away, the place continues to be run quietly, efficiently, and with the same attention to detail.

You can't go wrong in choosing a room. If you're looking for a view of the Swale, or the garden from above, go for Rooms 1 or 2 with their spacious en-suite bathrooms. If you'd like a cozy, luxurious room go for the charming room overlooking Richmond's market square. It has a large, private bath just across the hall. For a romantic get-away you might choose the totally private garden apartment with its own sitting room with its private access to the garden. Other rooms offer their own particular charms.

If you are a dog lover, you will delight in the three elegant, well-trained whippets; if not, you will find their presence quietly unobtrusive. If you happen to be interested in antiques - furniture, clocks, porcelain, silver - staying at Millgate House is like staying in your own private museum. Whatever your taste you'll find something delightful.

Room Tip: See room descriptions above
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were fortunate to stay overnight at Millgate House recently with my parents in rooms 1 and 2. On arrival, we were warmly greeted by Tim, Austin and the whippets and we were immediately struck by the beautiful interior. The house is full of gorgeous antiques and beautiful objects in every room - a real feast for the eyes. Not only were the rooms sumptuous, they were incredibly comfortable and we all had a terrific night's sleep. Breakfast was delicious and served in perfect grandeur in the stunning dining room. Leaving the luxury of the house, we took a turn around the garden, which is quite simply exquisite and a short rest on any of the perfectly placed seats really is a salve for the soul. Mother has now been inspired to redesign her garden and is using Tim and Austin's useful booklet to help! This is a wonderful place to stay and it really doesn't feel like a guesthouse/hotel - Tim and Austin make their guests feel as though they are staying at the home of good friends. I am busily recommending Millgate House to everyone I know and I would urge everyone to make a special trip to Richmond simply to stay here!

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms 1 and 2, which overlook the garden and also have a great view to the river a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A superb home and garden, both beautiful giving a great feeling of peace and relaxation. High standard in every aspect. Very well received and looked after. My belongings were forwarded to me very quickly and efficiently. My sister left after our short stay feeling refreshed

Room Tip: Room 2 - twin bedded a beautiful comfortable room overlooking the garden and river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I recently completed my seventh stay at Millgate House, and the experience was as good as ever. The exceptional on-line reviews continue to ring true. Austin and Tim are charming, yet efficient hosts who make their guests feel like old friends returning for a visit. The house is lovely, each room decorated uniquely, and private, so that even voices from a dinner party for eighteen or twenty given in the downstairs dining room cannot be heard in the bedrooms above. Breakfast, as detailed in the many reviews, is delicious and varied, according to what is available at the local markets.

Animal lovers will enjoy catching glimpses of the three whippets who make their home at Millgate House. The dogs, well-behaved and silent, can usually be found sleeping in a sunny spot in the large reception room or with Tim and Austin. All three seem to know their place and only approach guests for a quick "pet" if they are encouraged to do so.

No stay at Millgate House would be complete without a visit to the prize-winning garden, especially lovely in spring and summer. I cannot sing the praises of Millgate House too loudly. No sooner have I completed my stay and looked at my photos than I begin thinking of my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This really is the nicest guesthouse I have ever visited; and was so from the moment I set foot in the door. Arriving later than I had promised, a dinner party was already underway in the house. However, I wasn’t just made welcome, but was offered a glass of champagne from a bottle the owners had opened. I declined and was later rewarded with a complimentary whiskey waiting in my room.

As I stepped inside and the hall opened out I got my first glimpse of the wonderful restoration of Millgate House. The decor is grand and in keeping with the status of the house, yet is surprisingly warm and cosy. Quirky artwork and mementos adorn the walls and some intriguing antiques decorate the surfaces.

After a comfortable night’s sleep I woke to the distant sound of the waterfall at the river and the smell of a freshly lit wood fire. At breakfast the attention to detail and loveliness was maintained, from the chamber music in the background, the snowdrops in my own personal vase, the tiny individual pieces of silverware and arguably the best freshly ground coffee in England (shipped weekly from Monmouth Coffee Company in London). The cooked breakfast was sublime and the enormous selection of fruit, yoghurt, seeds and nuts would certainly delight the health-conscious visitor.

As the house was quiet on my last day, Austin allowed me to explore, and I was just short of speechless at the ground floor flat. After ten days at Millgate I left thinking that there isn’t a thing I would decorate, run or cook differently.

If you are looking for a slice of luxury, a unique glimpse into Georgian living or just a friendly house to explore Richmond from there couldn’t be a better place.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking the garden and valley at the back
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
#7 of 51 in Richmond
Rosedale Guest House
Rosedale Guest House
#8 of 51 in Richmond

Been to Millgate House? Share your experiences!