“Pricey”

Mainsgill Farm Tea Room
Ranked #13 of 129 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This location is shown as an attraction, but it is also an important eating place on this highway. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186343-d1535309-Reviews-Mainsgill_Farm-North_Yorkshire_England.html
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Average food and drink at an over the top price..meat and produce was average and expensive considering it was produced in house.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have visited this tearoom on several occasions and I am hoping that on one occasion one member of staff may be pleasant or even crack a smile. Good manners cost nothing. Staff should be making the customer feel welcome. Instead it is service with a grimace.

It is quite a stressful environment too, as it is very crowded and the huge number of staff are constantly milling about in a rush. They also need to come up with a better queue system. You queue to order (and people push in) then you queue to pay (and people push in). Not pleasant.

The only reason I gave 2 stars instead of 1 was because the food is pleasant. After a lengthy queue, I ordered a cream scone. I received a wonky scone with a tiny amount of jam and just enough cream to cover each side of the scone. Hardly generous. My cup of tea was satisfactory. My daughter had a caramel shortbread. It was an end piece so all shortbread and little topping. I can't believe they charged me for a glass of tap water that I needed to take some medication with.

This could be a really lovely tearoom with a bit more cheer and good spirit. Having a captive audience on the A66 does not mean that you can't be pleasant. I would like to return in the hope that one day a member of staff may surprise me!

We did enjoy looking at the animals on the farm and there are lovely things to buy in the shop.

4  Thank Bushbaby66
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I called at the Mainsgill Farm Tea Room on the May Day Bank Holiday Monday (6 May 2013) on the way back to Doncaster from The Lake District with some friends, and I am very sorry to say I had some tomato soup which was stone-cold. I was very disappointed as it was quite expensive. What my friends had didn't look very warm either and not very good quality.

Also, I had some chocolate cake which was alright, but didn't have that freshness about it. There were also no prices for the sweets/desserts displayed. Considering, the cafe itself did look clean.

I would not really consider going again.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We've been here before, and every time it's getting busier and busier. We stopped for a bacon sandwich and a sausage and egg sandwich.

Bacon sandwich was fine. Susage sandwich tasted (and kooked) like a cheap hot dog sausage... Appalling given they have a butchers on site.

Today the tea room was stifling, but doors locked shut, mad eally, and when we were ordering it was chaos.

We used to like this place but will probably not be back now....

1  Thank Bleakers
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We visited on the way from the A1 to the Lake District on Friday 19th April and again on the return on the 22nd, and found that the hot water tap in both the men's and women's toilets ran stone cold water, admittedly not a major disaster, however the hand dryer in the gents toilet blew cold air, meaning you take twice as long to dry your hands.

The one in the women's toilet did not work at all.

Part of the chrome press button on the top of the cistern in the gent's cubicle was missing and I feel sure it was also missing in November when we last visited!

The other toilet (for men) off the overflow seating area was OK with a Dyson 'Airblade' type dryer which was fine.

For a place which is always and increasingly busy and therefore taking a lot of money, this should not be the case, and WE EXPECT BETTER.

2  Thank gordon b