“Each visit as good as the first”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Frenchgate Guest House
Ranked #22 of 51 Richmond B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Another lovely stay at Frenchgate, calm relaxed clean and friendly, it' just like visiting old friends when you stay with Sheila and Ralph.
The warm cosy surroundings dont encourage you to leave but the location is so central you must make an effort to visit the surrounding area.
Looking forward to our next visit when time permits !

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NorthEastSunny
There are newer reviews for Frenchgate Guest House

Reviewed June 19, 2010

The standard of the room was excellent, it was very spacious and the decor contemporary; the on suite bathroom was beautiful and everywhere exceptionally clean. Ralph and Sheila made our stay very welcome and appreciate their hospitality. Breakfast was amazing with views from the conservatory breath taking. Richmond is a wonderful location full of attractions and plenty to see will defiantly visit again. Thank you for an exceptional stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mwa_08
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Frenchgate with my parents, who happened to be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and I can honestly say I could not have been more impressed. The rooms were absolutely beautilful, in particular my parents room, who had views that the photographs on the website do not serve justice, absolutely breathtaking. The breakfast was perfect (would definitely recommend the salmon & scrambled eggs) and our stay was extremely enjoyable. The breakfast room was stunning, with unbelievable views across Richmond. Ralph and Sheila were perfect hosts, really friendly and helpful, and the rooms were immaculate. We would definitely recommend this guesthouse. An added bonus was the pub nearby, The Ship, whose landlord and staff made you feel so welcome you felt like it was your local. Fabulous venue for a long, relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Having read the previous review I'm wondering if they stayed in the same place as us. A lovely place to stay, our room had a huge bed and a stunning view over Richmond. I'd mentioned that it was my birthday when I booked, and we had a small bottle of wine and some chocolates in the room on our arrival, a very nice touch. Breakfast was served at communal tables again with a picture window overlooking Richmond. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We came to Richmond (4 Senior citizens) having found the place on the web, we come to see the pantomime at the Georgian Theatre, we are coming this year but have booked elsewhereThe rooms had great views and all the facilities but were so cramped it was difficult to use them (fridge in wardrobe, therefore limited hanging space), sink so small could not get kettle under or even have a good wash,no space to use tea and coffee making facilities safely., certainly over priced.
Breakfast was really not up to standard, bowl of grapefruit appeared to have been there for days and the marmarlade remained in the dish when turned upside down ,old muffins, barely done toast etc we could see Ralph and Sheila watching from the curtained office. In the evening we used the residents lounge (as advertised) when we returned from a meal out at 8-45,pm at about 9-30pm Ralph appeared from below stairs in his dressing gown and informed us that the lounge could not be used after 9pm and produced a notice from under some books to that effect, in addition no alcohol was to be consumed ( we were having a post dinner glass of our own wine). The explanation was we might disturb the walkers ,we are walkers and were the only people booked in, so we were packed off to bed.
There were notices everywhere one in our rooms said cash only despite other methods being advertised and on questioning this we were told the machines were brokeb n and no a cheque would not dowe would have to go to a cash machine,I for one do not like carrying over £200 in cash at anytime.On booking out I had to ask for a dated receipt which was given to me on a scrap of paper and not duplicated .
Circumstances have prevented me writing before but I was reminded when looking for accomadation for this years panto , as for parking it is not as easy as described and woe betide you if you inadvertanty use the space that the grumpy neighbour feels is his '
.We n made our own fun despite everything.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paulineandpeter
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Excellent B & B with very good well decorated and clean rooms. Comfy beds and had a good night sleep which you don't often have in the chain type hotels. Breakfast first class with muffin and scrambled eggs with salmon. And those views from the dining room are amazing.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My partner and I had the pleasure to stay here for our first visit to Richmond and were immediately bowled over by the hospitality from Sheila and Ralph. The rooms were just as inviting and the views were incredible. All in all a very enjoyable experience which we would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple