“A Michelin Star in the waiting”

Frenchgate Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 129 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in quiet Frenchgate inside a former Georgian Gentlemans residence now the beautiful Frenchgate Hotel, is the stylish, 2 Rosette, Frenchgate Restaurant.Only eight candle lit tables, including Granny Todds family table, original artwork, designer tableware, crisp cotton napkins but "no stuffy white tablecloths" complete the stylish and relaxed ambience for a meal of outstanding quality. A team of talented chefs prepare fresh baked breads, home made ice creams together with ever changing menus from local, seasonal produce every day.Choose from a fixed price dinner, simple a la carte lunch or any special offer menus and you are assured of the finest dishes freshly prepared to order. Food is served in the restaurant, cocktail bar, lounge or private gardens all complimented by a "more interesting than unusual" and very reasonable wine list, including the famous Frenchgate Wine Flights and finished with something from the well stocked cocktail bar.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Having visited The Frenchgate Restaurant a number of times now I felt something had to be said. Simply put it is a Michelin Star in the waiting. Situated in the upmarket Georgian street of Richmond, the restaurant is an absolute gem. This part of North Yorkshire has a number of outstanding restaurants and the area is already renowned for being a bit of a foodie destination, however the Frenchgate is a step above even this serious competition.

For starters the service is absolutely first class. Personal and attentive without being overwhelming in an environment which makes you feel that the service you receive is bespoke, which of course it is. The menu is varied and without peer. Imaginative but drawing on significant local produce it is an absolute joy and changes with every visit. The wine list is extensive and any meal must be accompanied by the restaurants "Wine Flight." This is a Sommelier chosen wine menu selected to match your food. The Sommelier himself is utterly charming and extremely knowledgable. My wife and I both chose the same main course on one visit and he was able to select different accompanying wines for us based on our started; brilliant.

The Frenchgate Restaurant is without equal in the area and, I would venture, the county. Having visited Michelin Restaurants in France and Italy, amongst others, I do not make this recommendation lightly. If you have the chance you simply must go, no question.

3  Thank Richard H

Reviewed May 28, 2014

After years of living in the Richmond area I finally booked a table for two some months ago and after being asked quite humourlessly why I hadn't been before and providing what I thought to be a good qualified answer,we looked forwards to our special evening. On the night of our visit, I found myself asking the same question, WHY ??? My wife and I always rate restaurants on service before quality , at The Frenchgate we were treated to the very best on both counts . the staff are so attentive, the food so delicious !!!! the flight of wine is a must , even my wife who hates the red stuff was swayed by the glass presented for her main course. we ended the evening back in the lounge with a brandy and a taxi home . A wonderful experience!!! one that we have revisited again some weeks ago and standards have only improved !!! David I hope by now you will have guessed who I am ??? we will be back very soon

1  Thank Swaledaleman
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Difficult to find as we did not know Richmond but rang the hotel and they very kindly directed us into their car park. David our Host and staff were very friendly and the food was absolutely delicious

Reviewed May 14, 2014

As there were only 8 tables it created a nice atmosphere. The food was excellent - the wine waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Breakfast was superb,all good local produce all fresh and cooked to order.The service was very good and the staff could not do enough to help you.

1  Thank Joe F