“The best Richmond has to offer”

Frenchgate Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 126 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in quiet Frenchgate inside a former Georgian Gentlemans residence now the beautiful Frenchgate Hotel, is the stylish, 2 Rosette, Frenchgate Restaurant.Only eight candle lit tables, including Granny Todds family table, original artwork, designer tableware, crisp cotton napkins but "no stuffy white tablecloths" complete the stylish and relaxed ambience for a meal of outstanding quality.A team of talented chefs prepare fresh baked breads, home made ice creams together with ever changing menus from local, seasonal produce every day.Choose from a fixed price dinner, simple a la carte lunch or any special offer menus and you are assured of the finest dishes freshly prepared to order. Food is served in the restaurant, cocktail bar, lounge or private gardens all complimented by a "more interesting than unusual" and very reasonable wine list, including the famous Frenchgate Wine Flights and finished with something from the well stocked cocktail bar.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

After years of living in the Richmond area I finally booked a table for two some months ago and after being asked quite humourlessly why I hadn't been before and providing what I thought to be a good qualified answer,we looked forwards to our special evening. On the night of our visit, I found myself asking the same question, WHY ??? My wife and I always rate restaurants on service before quality , at The Frenchgate we were treated to the very best on both counts . the staff are so attentive, the food so delicious !!!! the flight of wine is a must , even my wife who hates the red stuff was swayed by the glass presented for her main course. we ended the evening back in the lounge with a brandy and a taxi home . A wonderful experience!!! one that we have revisited again some weeks ago and standards have only improved !!! David I hope by now you will have guessed who I am ??? we will be back very soon

1  Thank Swaledaleman
There are newer reviews for Frenchgate Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Difficult to find as we did not know Richmond but rang the hotel and they very kindly directed us into their car park. David our Host and staff were very friendly and the food was absolutely delicious

Reviewed May 14, 2014

As there were only 8 tables it created a nice atmosphere. The food was excellent - the wine waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Breakfast was superb,all good local produce all fresh and cooked to order.The service was very good and the staff could not do enough to help you.

1  Thank Joe F
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I visited this restaurant at lunch time midweek and it was completely empty but I don't know why because the food was fantastic; perhaps it was early in the tourist season and the owner did say evenings are the main service.

I visited with my mum who is disabled but everything was done to make her comfortable and welcome, including ramps at the entrance and a very smart disabled toilet.

The food was beautiful, we both had plaice perfectly cooked and the owner was so attentive.

The only downside was the waiter seemed a little disinterested in serving us, he was polite but it didn't feel very genuine and he disappeared for a while and stank of cigarettes on his return, not nice.

However, don't let that small blip put you off and go for dinner because the food is superb and the surroundings traditional and beautiful with a separate Drawing Room for pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee.

I would return if in the area again.