“Great food and wine”

Ranked #38 of 127 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: French, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in quiet Frenchgate inside a former Georgian Gentlemans residence now the beautiful Frenchgate Hotel, is the stylish, 2 Rosette, Frenchgate Restaurant.Only eight candle lit tables, including Granny Todds family table, original artwork, designer tableware, crisp cotton napkins but "no stuffy white tablecloths" complete the stylish and relaxed ambience for a meal of outstanding quality.A team of talented chefs prepare fresh baked breads, home made ice creams together with ever changing menus from local, seasonal produce every day.Choose from a fixed price dinner, simple a la carte lunch or any special offer menus and you are assured of the finest dishes freshly prepared to order. Food is served in the restaurant, cocktail bar, lounge or private gardens all complimented by a "more interesting than unusual" and very reasonable wine list, including the famous Frenchgate Wine Flights and finished with something from the well stocked cocktail bar.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We visited the Frenchgate on a weekend away without children. We enjoyed a brilliant evening with excellent food and the wine with each course "flight". I thought for 3 courses of such quality £34 was reasonable. I did think some of the wines were expensive, not many bottles under £27, however choosing the pairing was a good as it was educational, giving us a few surprises such a a Syrah with scallops (which were perfectly cooked) and a lovely pudding/sherry with the creme brulee, which David descibed as Christmas in a bottle.It certainly ranks amongst the best meals that I have ever had and I found the patter quite amusing which made it a really fun night out.It was obvious amongst the other diners that many were returning customers. We will certainly eat here again if we return to Richmond and may even make a specific trip.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had been warned by a number of people in the town. Drinks would be expensive and there would be excessive pressure from the proprietor to order more than we wanted. In the end we were spared the salemanship, probably because the couple next to us were receiving the full onslaught, pushed into buying much more wine than they could cope with. Our kirs were £11 each .... However no-one had really prepared us for the main problem, the food. A couple of the puddings excepted, it ranged from the bland to the barely edible. I cannot believe the chef, if that is his proper title, can have tasted any of it and we found ourselves doubting the accuracy of the pretentious menu. Was this really 'wild' rabbit, 'Swaledale lamb', 'Gloucester Old Spot' pork? Luckily our son is a starving student so we were able tio finish our plates without giving too much away. From the arrival of a cheapo tinned olive onwards the service was condescending; there was an assumption made at the outset that 'fine dining' was a rare experience for us, even informing me which fork I should use for the starter. What is true is the experience of eating at the Frenchgate will remain rare. It will never be repeated.

4  Thank David A
Goodenoughtoeat, Owner at Frenchgate Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We are very sorry to hear in this way that you felt so "ripped off" on your recent visit to the restaurant. Following an investigation into your comments we note that a mistake was made on your bill. Of the 3 drinks your party of 4 had the two Kirs were charged as Kir Royals, £11.00 instead of £7.95. Your third drink, a glass of Minervois red wine was correctly charged at £6.95, which was for a 250 ml serve or 1/3 of a bottle, like the Kirs, served together with our own blend of roasted exotic nuts, dried fruits and olives stuffed with a little anchovy. You are correct in that the olives, now not "in season" here in North Yorkshire, were not harvested that day by Chef and were in fact picked and stuffed in Spain before being flown to us (at some cost) in of all things - a tin!
We are sorry that the local wild rabbit, Swaledale lamb and rare breed Gloucestershire Old Spot pork were so inedible that your starving son had to eat the "evidence", and that you felt unable to say anything to us at the time, thus allowing Chef to maybe prepare something more to your liking. Your generous tip, comments and clean plates left staff thinking that you had enjoyed your meal.
Please do not concern yourselves too much about the poor couple next to you, like so many returning guests over the last 7 years, they were "suffering" a Champagne dinner bought as a gift by grateful guests of there recent wedding here at The Frenchgate. Having managed to get baby sitters they were enjoying another well earned "grown up", romantic dinner with us, even though they may well have enjoyed one or more drink than actually needed.
As the only "first time" guests on the evening of your visit we are saddened that you left with such feelings, and that staff failed to notice that you were not happy with our service on this occasion.
Now we know your feelings, as any good restaurant would do, we are happy to have you return and enjoy the restaurant fully, as so many returning guests and fellow reviewers have and continue to do. But should you prefer not then please call us and we will reimburse the £6.10 you were overcharged for your two Kirs.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I wanted to take my family out for dinner somewhere special prior to my son's, and son-in-law's, deployment to Afghanistan. We could not have chosen anywhere more special. We were all extremely impressed by the exceptional food so beautifully prepared and served. The service could not have been more attentive, and the ambiance and decor added considerable charm. A most memorable evening.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We came to have dinner here while on vacation and were very impressed with the food, wine, service, and atmoshphere at the Frenchgate Hotel Restaurant. We were a party of four, my husband, mother-in-law and her boyfriend, David. ! I only remember what my husband and I ate and we chose to have the wine pairing with our dinner which was very educational since each of us had different wines with our appetizer, dinner and dessert. It was nice to hear about each wine and be able to taste each other's choices we were given. David was very well educated to explain the wines he chose for us for each course and where they came from. I had the French onion soup and my husband had the crab appetizer and we were served a white, crisp wine with these. I should have taken notes to the exact wines we had, but I was distracted because I was enjoying my food too much! For the main, I had the lamb which was delicous and my husband had the ribeye. David served us a red wine with our dinner and again, it was a perfect match. For dessert, we had a nice sweet wine with our chocolate and custard dessert choices. We had a wonderful dinner and will return on our next trip to Yorkshire in 2013! Thank you David, Chef and staff for a wonderful and memorable dining experience!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We ate here to celebrate my birthday, we are local residents who have tried lots of quality restaurants in Richmond and surrounding area, but cannot find fault with the food at the Frenchgate. As mentioned the owner David is very passionate about his hotel and restaurant, but he has good reason to be. He will tell you that all food is sourced locally and suggest a wine to accompany your choice. Some may find this intrusive but I think it adds to the dinning experience. The set menu offers a choice of at least five options per course. Last night the mains included partridge, lamb, wild boar, rabbit, cod and a vegetarian risotto. I selected the boar and my wife the lamb both of which were outstanding. The menu price was £34, which for the quality of food and service is competitive. If you are looking for a plate full of sausage and mash this is not the place for you. However if you want fine dinning, quality food you cannot go wrong. We have eaten here on several occasions and even attended a wedding. There are other good restaurants in the surrounding area but none, in my opinion, which can match the Frenchgates quality. We will be back again sooner rather than later