“What a mixture of contrasts. Really clean with good service, let down by poor cooking and rooms that have some problems”

Allerton Court Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northallerton
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I have used this hotel over a number of years for eating in (bar and restaurant), but have never stayed there. People I work with have stayd there. Because if their comments and how the food used to be good I said there.

The room (room 3) was extremely clean (as were all the other rooms I got to see). Room 3 was large and had recently been decorated. Unfortunately there were a number of things wrong. Who ever painted the rooms needs to be sacked. They are incompetent. Who ever plumbed the bathroom needs to be sacked. The water pressure was useless. I had to run around under the shower for half an hour to catch the three drips that came out (exaggeration, but you get the idea). To use the toilet you must only have one leg, a left one at that. So no two legged persons or people with just a right leg can use the toilet sitting down. Room 9 hasn't been renovated as yet; or at least I don't think so. Water pressure was much better. Unfortunately the shower head wouldn't say up in the rail/ stand so you had to hold it.

The rooms might have double glazing, but you would not know it. It is really poor. You can forget having room doors. Certainly no use as sound proofing. I could hear everything in the corridors and was woken up each night by noisy people in the corridoor. Mind you, I find this a common problem in many, many hotels I get to stay in.

Now, to redeem all that, the staff are very good and try very, very hard to do their best. It may be difficult to get hold of a member of staff sometimes, but when you do they really are Good, and deserve much praise.

Quality of food is variable. I do know the main chef who worked there is no longer there. That is a shame as void quality was very good. Quality of food is extremely variable now. For what was paid (breakfasts, lunches, dinner) I didn't expect much. Even then I was let down, as were the others I was with.

The burgers are apparently specially produced for the hotel. Avoid them like the plague. Think of pig slurry. That is how the smell. The texture is even worse. I would recommend that Allerton Court get their burgers, bacon and cheese elsewhere. I have never, ever had such an apalingly bad burger in my life. This was not just once either. The steaks were fine, as were prawn cocktails, vegetables, onion rings an much more. Some one really does need to teach chef how to cook chips. Though Double cooking chips is a great idea, unless you mess it up every single time so you have cold, slimy, greasy, burnt, black chips. The desserts are somewhat hit and miss (lemon posset a massive failure, ice cream okay - if you like sweet, sickly UK style ice-cream). I suggest that chef stick with pub grub until they learn more. They are good at that.

Yet again, service in the bar and restaurant are extremely good. A bit difficult to get hold of staff, but extremely amenable and willing.

Breakfasts are okay, if variable. Having said that, they do toast very well and brilliant poached eggs. Coffee is horrible.

Would I say here again? Yes, but eat elsewhere, take ear plugs and don't stay in room 3. The price is okay generally for what is on offer.

• Stayed: January 2011
AllertonCourt, General Manager at Allerton Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Allerton Court Hotel. We value all guest comments and endeavour to use these to improve the quality of product we offer and level of service we provide to our customers.

I am very sorry to read that your room and experience at the hotel with regards our facilities and food did not meet your expectation but thank you for your feedback, this is very important to us.

Havening personally dealt with you during your stay I am thrilled to read that you would return to the hotel for another visit and have experienced good service and some brilliant food (albeit it toast and poached eggs for breakfast).

Being a family owned and run hotel we take onboard all comments/complaints and aim to turn them into constructive criticism which can be used to improve the hotel.

The hotel is undergoing a continual refurbishment and development programme to improve our facilities. During this redevelopment we welcome customer input as, after all, the hotel is for our customers to enjoy and your needs are our priority.

Upon checkout the issue of the toilet being located too close to the wall was briefly mentioned. This particular toilet was installed over 3 years ago and with its location never mentioned before on either our customer comment forms or to a member of staff had never been brought to our attention. Following your departure I was intrigued and investigated. It was found that the toilet was perhaps located too close to the wall and as such has been repositioned to now allow all people to use the toilet comfortably.

Our staff do an excellent job (as you have noted) and aim to provide a professional and helpful service whilst creating a warm and friendly environment, and the praise you say they deserve has been passed to them. During our developments our housekeeping department also endeavour to maintain the highest levels of cleanliness and this is again reflected in your kind comments.

I am however personally upset about the quality of the food experienced whilst with us at the hotel. Again having dealt with you personally during your stay I was aware of the issues you had with the food which were both raised on Friday evening (when you ordered a burger and were unhappy with it) and then upon check out. As we do not wish people to be unhappy with food they receive an alternative was offered and the burgers were removed from the bill. I am pleased that you were happy with the steaks, prawn cocktails, vegetables, onion rings and much more. The feedback you have provided has also been used to improve the quality of the food we are offering. We have changed our suppliers including our butcher which means our meat is now sourced from a local butcher. We have also made some changes to our kitchen personnel and have now new chefs onboard.

We hope that you will visit the hotel again soon and should you ever have any further problems direct any feedback to either my Duty Manager or myself to ensure it can be dealt with imminently.

Kind regards
John

There are newer reviews for Allerton Court Hotel

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stopped here for one night.
Welcome was excellent, the room was great, bathroom a little dated but did not pay for an upgrade on the room - it surpassed our expectations.
The restraunt was very good pub style food - but my recommendation would be not to have a starter - main course was enough on its own - had hunters chicken and would recommend.
The next time we are up North Yorkshire we will stop here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeDoncaster
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Family owned hotel. Very friendly staff, nothing is too much trouble. I was upgraded to an executive room which has recently been refurbished. (other rooms are in the process of refurbishment). Bright modern room, flat screen TV, coffee/tea making, iron, and free wifi with excellent in room signal. The food on offer is very good and excellent value. Breakfast (which was included in the room rate) was cooked to order with massive portions, well cooked and presented. I will stay here again when in the area.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Mudgedog
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Check In – When entering the building I was immediately greeted and welcomed to the hotel by a very friendly receptionist. As I was new to the hotel and travelling for a business meeting I was provided with some information about the area and advised walking times to the office and given taxi contact details this was a nice touch and proved helpful.

The Accommodation – I had been booked into a standard double room (number 23)
the décor was light and fresh the room had a large desk perfect for business travellers –free wireless internet is also provided. The bed proved to be very comfortable and was difficult to leave in the morning.

Meals – Making the most of a rare warm sunny evening I decided to eat on a patio area overlooking the hotels large garden, with a staggering amount of wildlife (thankfully rabbit is not on the menu) The menu was reasonably priced and seemed to offer something for most tastes. I ordered a Mediterranean vegetable and goats cheese starter, then a cold ham salad with chips.
Breakfast was also very good with a range of yoghurts, preserves and fruits etc although I opted for a cooked breakfast.

Service – All the staff were friendly and really went the extra mile to ensure all my needs were met.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank 1976Danby
Reviewed May 22, 2010

The Allerton Court Hotel has all the accommodations of home. I have been staying at the hotel for the past 3 months and from the first day the staff has been great along with meals that they sever. The hotel is also located close to town and the train station which I can easily walk to or if I am running late they have a taxi service that is available upon making a call. Being so far from home in the US, I could not ask for better accommodations and hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelNorthallerton
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night. The room decorations seemed a bit out of date and the architecture and garden lacked character but it was all very clean and tidy. The staff were charming and helpful. Lunch was plentiful and the cooked breakfast was excellent. It was very good value indeed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WiltshireDreadnought
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I stayed at Allerton Court Hotel on a Friday night on business. The hotel is just to the north of the town centre surrounded by commercial premises: this means that there are no noisy goings on at night. The place has been refurbished recently and is in good decorative order. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was standard fare. For a business trip, I want a warm, comfortable and quiet room. Allerton Court Hotel provided exactly what I required and I therefore give it 5/5.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Doctor_nose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northallerton
Solberge Hall Hotel
The Cleveland Tontine
The Cleveland Tontine
#1 of 1 in Staddlebridge
Chapters Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Allerton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!