“Not the place it once was...unacceptably inadequate service”

Monk Fryston Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monk Fryston
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The decision to rate this place average is not one I have taken lightly. This has always been a special place for us, having spent countless special occasions and family meals here a couple of times a year for a long time. Unfortunately, having returned for our birthday meal on Friday (my mother-in-law and I share the same birthday and my husband's is a couple of days before) we were very disappointed. We understand the hotel has been under new ownership for the last couple of years and it is clear that, for whatever reason, standards have slipped. Before I go on, perhaps I ought to add that this is not a place you go to for a regular-priced meal and so at £250 for the 5 of us (plus tip and a couple of rounds of drinks at around £30 a time), it is not as easy to overlook inadequacies and to just accept them as the accoutrements of modern society. You learn to accept that on more occasions than not, you get substandard service, attitude problems in staff who don't seem to want to be there, mediocre food etc. which is why when you make the choice to go somewhere like this, you expect a little more. Even silver service. As near to perfection as you're probably going to get short of dining at The Ritz. Monk Fryston Hall used to deliver on this. Unfortunately, things have changed somewhat. Some of these points when isolated may seem a little fastidious and petty, however add them all together and as a hotel charging these kind of prices for dinner, you have a problem, especially when there is so much competition where one could get so much higher standards of service. Firstly, I ordered Pimms for my pre-dinner drink. It came with none of the garnish necessary to complete the drink. If you're not going to offer the cucumber, mint, strawberry etc then don't offer the product. Secondly, the place was almost completely empty except for a table of two and a couple of young waiters hanging around thus there was an absence of any kind of atmosphere. I have to say that the Hall could be like this is the past on occasion but the dining experience from beginning to end felt so luxurious that I never minded this. Perhaps if the menu wasn't so expensive or if the Hall offered deals or even a table d'hote menu as it used to, this might draw a few more people in? The wine list certainly is a bit top end for what are middle of the road wines. I made the mistake of ordering the scallops for my starter. Perhaps this was just me or perhaps it was the concoction - raw 'pickled' cauliflower, radish, some strange and seemingly tasteless mousse pressed into discs all coated in an unpleasant basil dressing - that was somebody else's mistake. Also, the brown bread roll tasted of ginger which didn't help matters. I just couldn't help feeling throughout that somebody was trying too hard (in some areas, and not enough in others) and that the result was an overcomplicated mish-mash with no real focus. For my main course, I chose the beef medallions, as did my father-in-law and we both agreed that they - along with the celeriac mash - were a little tasteless. The plate was also very bland as it came with no other veg. In the past, the waiting staff would come with tureens of potatoes done various ways and vegetables and serve them to you. I think when you are paying £20ish for a main course, any necessary accompaniments should be included within this price and it is a little cheeky to list them as extra in order to stick on a few quid. My husband ordered the steak and had to ask for a steak knife. The wine was brought to the table already open and stuck on the table for us to pour ourselves as and when. Nobody brought it to show us to check if it was the right one, asked us to taste it or offered to pour. Basically, there was no service at all let alone the attention to detail that Monk Fryston used to be known for. The old fashioned touches, silver tableware and quaint teasets seemed to have been updated for more modern run-of-the-mill kitchenware. The chocolates served with the coffee were of the Elizabeth Shaw variety; nice enough, but where are the individual and handmade little petit-fours and different coloured truffles? It was at this time that somebody came over to us and said, "I hope you don't mind but here is your bill as the receptionist is wanting to get off now." In fact, had we not purposely slowed down the whole evening, we would have been in and out within the hour and £300+ lighter. What should have been a long-lingering celebratory family meal was, well, a bit of a damp squib really. With a 3 year-old child, nights out are hard to come by, certainly ones of this nature and so next time I get the opportunity, I'm afraid it won't be at Monk Fryston Hall.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Bibba2013

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had a single night stay here last month and were very pleased with our choice. Booked direct taking up a "racing day" offer which included dinner, bed and breakfast. Arrived to find a beautiful old hall with lots of character. We were given a lovely huge room with a four poster bed with views of the gardens (room 8 if you can get it). They have a terrace for evening drinks before dinner, or you can wander round the gardens or down to the pond with resident ducks. Very peaceful and perfect for unwinding. The food was excellent at both dinner and breakfast, as was the service from all the staff throughout our short stay. A great find, a bargain for the price and would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: ask for room 8 in the main hall.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scar_Glamour
Reviewed July 26, 2013

With oodles of history this atmospheric stopping point is well worth a visit. The rooms are quirky and each different from the next, exactly what you'd expect from this sort of establishment. The grounds are worth exploring and are filled with age old trees, some very fine specimens. Service is very good as is the food and drink. The most surprising thing is the cost which is very good. The cost of the meals is a tad on the high side however, I don't begrudge that because the quality and service makes it worth while.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing or the west side are likely to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Was really pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It is quirky but that adds to the experience rather than detracting from it. The building is full of character and I had a huge room with views of the gardens. The grounds are stunning with beautiful walks and vistas. I stayed on a sultry July and was sat outside at 10pm in the lovely patio area. Bliss.

The staff are really friendly and eager to assist. The village is very pretty and interesting. The local pub is very close and serves a goodcask ale .

I will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dean G
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We used the hotel recently for a 2 day meeting with overnight accommodation and could not have been better looked after. We have used many of the big hotel chains in the past, but Monk Fryston Hall has won my business for the future,thanks to their great value, good food and staff who were more than accommodating of our needs. Rooms were comfy, our evening meal was excellent and the home made cakes and biscuits at break times were a nice touch.
It is well placed for all our team travelling from the North East, York and Humberside areas with great access from the A1 / A63
We will be back again in September!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stay at the Monkfryston on business on a fairly regular basis as of recently. The rooms are comfortable, food has always been good, although the beer offered could be improved. Overall, a comfortable place to stay & the staff have always been more than helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed here many times and agree with the comments made regarding the decline in the last 3 years. The staff are lovely, the rooms comfortable, but the food is not as good as it used to be. Salmon and macaroni cheese, does not work, rib eye steak so thinly cut it may as well be braising steak and smothered in sauce. Please change the menu it is letting you down!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
South Milford Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Milford
Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Monk Fryston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!