“Very good value for money”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Originally a busy coaching inn dating back to the 1600s, The Crown Inn is a warm and welcoming pub restaurant in the picturesque village of Monk Fryston. The Crown is under new management and our kitchen has recently undergone a complete refurbishment, allowing us to create a brand new menu of traditional pub classics and modern English dishes, freshly prepared using only the best locally sourced ingredients, with something for all tastes, and of course all served with great Yorkshire hospitality. Our menus change regularly taking advantage of seasonal produce, and, of course, our friendly service comes at no extra charge. At the bar you'll find a selection of regularly changing hand-pulled ales and the wine list offers something for everyone's taste! Whether you're here to enjoy a three course meal, a light bite for lunch or just an evening drink with friends, visiting us is always a great experience. "We look forward to welcoming you to The Crown Inn." Andrew Melhuish, Chef Proprietor.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good service
Good food
Good atmosphere
Good value for money,
Would definitely go back.There was a very busy function on upstairs,but the food and service was very good,top marks to the crown inn.

There are newer reviews for The Crown Inn

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've been in a couple of times since the refurb and it's a very nice atmosphere with good quality food. Beer is a little pricey though.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

For a number of reasons far too long and complicated to bore you with here, we decided after a great deal of thought to eat out on Christmas Day ... for the first time.... Big decision for a very important meal on a very important day.

Appreciate that all families have their own traditions and way of cooking and serving their food .. so it is a hard one to be able to please everyone.

Overall our meal was okay, in some parts good but we left feeling disappointed. We live in Monk Fryston so we drink and eat there - probably about once or twice a month. It's a really good local with good food and great service.

I am reveiwing this to give constructive feedback, as I think with more thought and work - if they do Christmas dinner next year it could be spectacular which is much better than okay.

We were in the upstairs restaurant, the room was cool and needed more heating, we had a mixed age party and we all felt a 'bit chilly'. Our champers welcome drink was nice and starters tasty. All of us bar one had turkey for our main, the non turky eater had beef medly which was delicious, (we all had a nibble test), the meat was good quality and it was beautifully cooked. It did not come with any veggies other than a pot of potatoes in a creamy sauce tho' and we ended up giving some of our roast potatoes for the beef dish! Our turkey tasted cheap like a bulk buy frozen one, there was plenty of it but it was not the best one I have had. The veggies were delicious but not plentiful and the gravy had been poured over the dinner and was not in a gravy boat, which might be a personal thing on my part but for me, there should be lots of really good gravy, but I get to choose where it goes on my food. :) There was ONE yes just one piddly pig in a blanket and a little slab of stuffing. The Christmas pudding was a small coin shaped thing with hardly any fruit in with bland custard. The alterntive puddings were sampled and pronounced okay but nothing special. Crackers were cheap and we could not even get them all to 'crack'. There were no warm personal touches... it felt like it was a mass commercial money making event for them, (yeh okay all businesses are there to make money but for the good places there is so much more to it than that - especially on Christmas Day - would you not agree), so overall it was not a good memorable time for us.

We were not offered the cheese board or coffee, which we realised afterward we all got home that it was part of the meal and we would have had it had we been offered it. The meal was definitely not worth the premium price that is charged for Christmas Day.

Apart from not being offered the final course, the service was great, quick and smiley, but it was more a feeling of get em in and get em out .. phew.. rather than welcome, Merry Christmas, thanks so much for choosing us to share and cook your special Christmas Day dinner.... :(

All that said having a disappointing Christmas Day dinner there would definitely not stop us going back and eating and drinking there as overall it is a really good pub, they work really hard to offer a variety of food and entertainement and good beer... but we would not go back and again and eat our Christmas Day family meal - it is too important and special and they did not hit the right spot for us. I appreciate that it was 'different' for us as we have never eaten out on Christmas Day before, but regardless - the quality, portion size, atmosphere - the whole thing was just okay.. that is not a word that you should ever use to describe your Christmas Day dinner whether you eat it at home or in a restaurant.

If The Crown are going to do Christmas Dinner next year, then they need to seriously step up to the plate and review and improve for next year.

1  Thank amandamango
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Where do I start??! I have been going to the Crown for years but since its recent management change, it is now even better! The food is fabulous (whitebait starter is the best I have ever had), and really good value. My family of 4 ate there last week and the bill was £25 including drinks and kids ice cream, amazing!! Sunday lunch is really good too although its worth calling before you arrive to see how busy it is. The atmosphere is great,, lots of different people from families to older couples and groups of lads playing pool and having a couple of beers (and I have noticed the lads are always well behaved and respectful - not rowdy, loud or swearing as you often find!). And the owners (I think theyre from the very popular Hungry Fox in Goole??) are just lovely, so welcoming and friendly. The rest of the team are great too, efficient, polite and professional. It certainly won't be long before my next visit!

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Ive not managed to visit in a month but me and my boyfriend used to visit almost every week on a sun/mon for dinner or at least a few drinks. Always have really good food, nice menu. The bar prices are good, you can sit and relax on the sofa's before and after your dinner and play some pool. Visited last night as a flying visit, i arrived later to meet the girls and didnt eat but they loved the meal, all had steak and said it was a great price!