“Only in England”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have travelled the world. I have eaten in the Fat Duck and at the Cafe Sydney. I can safely say that a country pub like this cannot be beaten: gorgeous location, picturesque village, great beers, warm attention and good food. Delightful.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We booked this place as a surprise venue for a family Sunday lunch! The location of the place is miles from anywhere but at the same time set in a lovely country village in the North Yorkshire Moors. When we arrived at the place we were surprised by the size, from the outside this pub looks like a tiny village hostelry with barely enough room for a few people let alone groups of people looking to dine! On going inside we were met with a small quaint bar area; not a great deal of room, busy with locals enjoying a sunday lunchtime pint, however there are a few tables in the bar area but there are additional dining areas on each side of the bar. On being informed that our table/s were ready we occupied them in the Anvil Room. The Anvil Room is a very suitable dining room, there is also Restaurant dining area area on the other side of the bar! The place was busy so obviously a good recommendation. the menu's are more than adequate with an extensive selection of main dishes and 'specials'. From the group that I was with, orders were promptly taken, the food arrived shortly afterwards without a long wait. The various pies looked packed with tasty looking meat, fish which was very plentiful, there was a fine selection of veg and small 'buckets' of what looked like home made chips. We were asked if there was anything else we needed, extra gravy was requested which arrived quickly without any problems. My own choice was the chicken dinner, I am not a dining connoisseur but I would only deem this as a 7/10. Don't get me wrong everybody said how nice their meals were, I just felt that mine wasn't anything special! All in all the food selection was very good, the quality of the service and food was very good, the price was reasonable but I don't think I would travel 30+ miles again to have Sunday lunch here!

1  Thank Bramblerat
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I thought we worked hard to get rid of the class system in this country. I have been to this pub three times and have recieved the same response each time.

The last time was my last time. We were a group of walkers numbering 8 children and 8 adults. we were told they were busy, but we could have seats.

The landlord and land lady seemed to be giving "evils" to the children and I think the children were unwelcome.

We are a nice bunch of folk, all tax payers, etc. We were let go to our seats then had to go to the bar to order food.

The next few sets of people were led to the restaurant and allowed to choose tables. They were then presented with specials boards and allowed to mull over their orders and take their time. The landlady seemed to be appraising our behaviour at all times. Our children were excellently behaved.

The galling incident was that I moved my chair slightly to accomodate a child seat. The people in the table next to us did not even notice. With in three minutes the landlord was there and nearly pulling my chair, with me in it, so that we did not encroach on the other customers.

We were made to feel lower class, but certainly not when they took the, nearly, one hundred pounds for the bill. There was no third class fare then.

I will never return and those of you who have no children and "whose face fits" or if you dress in your best tweeds, then I an sure you will be made to feel welcome!. Enjoy it, the food is good the beer okay, but it does not go down well when you feel rushed, unwelcome and are treated like dirt.

The waitresses were lovely, the mangement terrible!

11  Thank pfjkelly
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were staying in Lastingham and visited the Pub on our first evening but found we couldn't get a table but impressed by Menu and friendliness of the Bar. We decided to book for following evening and our expectations were surpassed. Excellent food and choice (all traditional english fayre) great selection of vegetables presented with the meals and portion sizes very generous, all meals we had here gave very good value for money.
Wine selection fairly good and not overpriced.
Made 2 other visits in the following week and every time didn't fail to impress, don't be put off by the small bar area, restaurant area is spacious.
Booking a must even during the week as we found out. (Good local beer & guest ales)

4  Thank White-Wolf22
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Visited for lunch last week. The jumbo fish and chips was excellent and the lunch menu was wide, varied and catered for all tastes, we were stumped what to order and we wanted it all! Thwere was a nice childrens' menu and the food was top quality withiout being unduly expensive. Food was served in a nice room by helpful, friendly staff and we will definitely return soon.

1  Thank Jason_C445