“would definitely recommend.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 17 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“would definitely recommend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at Newton House for ! night, on arrival we were met by Denise who was very helpful and friendly, our room was very spacious and well decorated to a high standard, the bed was really comfortable, our bedroom from on the front of the hotel and we didn't have a problem with noise from the traffic lights. Our breakfast the next morning was excellent, everything was cooked to order and was delicious, the homemade rhurbarb and ginger jam and marmalade was an extra special treat! Would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Wymondham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at Newton House last weekend. Our room was nicely decorated and the furnishings were very tasteful. There were tea and coffee making facilities and supplies were updated daily. Towels were changed daily without asking. There was an honesty bar which we did not use but I thought it was very trusting of the proprietors. The breakfasts were probably the best I have had away from home. The downside is that the hotel is yards away from traffic lights at a fairly busy town junction and we were kept awake most of the night. It was on the ground floor so probably higher rooms or those at the back would be better. We were offered ear plugs when we arrived but we didnt take them, probably should have

Room Tip: Do not have room 9
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Surbiton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have stayed at a few Gueshhouses over the years, but very few have the charm and charisma + friendlyness of this place. I have stayed once before with my partner, but my 2nd stay recently was even more impressive. Denise makes all the rooms very comfortable and has everything from a great hotel room, but with all the charm of staying at close friend's place. The rooms were packed with drinks, teas.coffees, games, books and plenty of space. The breakfast is truly 2nd to none and Denise cooked my favourite Eggs Royale 2 days in a row, and had the most lovely De-Caffinated Coffee i have tasted. The Guesthouse is really close to town and all that Knaresborough has to offer

1 Thank Jonathan M
jarrow, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just spent two nights at Newton House and could not fault a thing. The breakfast selection was far superior to anything we have experienced in the UK. Our room was very comfortable with beautiful decor - nothing shabby here! The en-suite bathroom was ultra modern and I would have no hesitation in recommending Newton House to anyone visiting North Yorkshire.

1 Thank chucksy
Knebworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our second stay at NH and at least as impressed as last time. We had a spacious and extremely comfortable room with attention to every detail and an open invitation to ask if anything was not available as wanted. Nothing can match the breakfast on offer, for variety, imagination, presentation and overall quality. No wonder it wins awards! The only problem is restraint! Lovely relaxed friendly atmosphere with a very warm welcome from Denise and all her staff and efficiency at all times. A superb place to stay in a delightful town. We will certainly return for more of the same!

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Been here a few times in the last 17 years. Always a very high standard of accommodation food etc and this visit was no exception.
However the new owner needs to try a little harder on the charm front - not the warmest of welcomes- a shame as this sets the tone for people's perceptions of the hotel. Knaresborough not the most exciting of venues but central for visits to Harrogate and York.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MissMarple41
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This was or third visit to Newton House which has now changed ownership in the last year. I wouldn't say there were too many noticeable changes which is a positive reflection! I do enjoy staying at the NH as I find it a homely, clean and quality B&B. We stayed in one of the quiet rooms to the rear which I would always request as I have read reviews stating the front can be noisy due to the road outside. The room was spotless and furnished as always with quality furniture and bedding.

I am a light sleeper so I am easily disturbed however I found myself enjoying a peaceful sleep throughout the night. The breakfast is delicious, as always, and promptly served. I love the baked nectarines with cinnamon and the cooked, grease free, English breakfast. I also enjoyed the attentive and friendly service at breakfast.

Just a couple of things would have improved the experience. After a shower on the first night we hung our towels ready for the next days turn down service. On our return the room had been turned down however the towels were still soaking wet. The problem was that that the radiator did not come on (I did turn it up to max but the thermostat didn't kick in - day temp was 19 and night was approx 10) so it didn't dry them. I would suggest if the heating doesn't come on then fresh towels are provided as our second shower was a little unpleasant. I would also ask that there is more control over room temp as we were cold during the night. It was summer admittedly however it was jumper weather at nighttime. There is an electric heater in the room but this doesnt do the trick like a radiator. I know we all feel the cold differently however I did have to jump under the duvet when I got in at night to warm up. I know times are tough however I feel the prices justify allowance for additional gas costs.

All in all, it's a great b and b, just hope that the small (possibly cost saving?) elements are remedied...

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room to the rear.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goldbyron
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I am pleased that these guests enjoyed their stay at Newton House and would like to thank them for their kind comments. However, they did stay in the middle of August (Summer!) and this is the only month this year that we have not had the central heating on. We do provide supplementary heating in all our rooms throughout the year which is normally more than adequate.

We do leave clear instructions in our bathrooms for dealing with used towels. And although I’m sorry these guests had a problem with wet towels, they were given details of how to contact me. They only had to ask and their towels would have been replaced. We provide telephones in our bedrooms for internal use on occasions such as this.

Newton House is in the middle of town which does have a number of advantages but I appreciate that being on the main road will not be to everyone’s taste. However, the rooms at the front of the building do have either original 18thC wooden shutters (which provide effective sound-proofing), or secondary glazing. And if any guest should have a serious problem with traffic noise we can provide them with ear-plugs.

I’m sorry these guests think we are cutting costs – I can assure them this is not the case at all. In fact, a number of ‘added value’ extras have been introduced since being here (nearly 2 years now) and we are constantly looking for additional ways to make our guests’ stay with us more comfortable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 17 in Knaresborough
Kirkgate House
Kirkgate House
#3 of 17 in Knaresborough

Been to Newton House? Share your experiences!