“Best Mexican Food we've ever had!”
Review of Hallies - CLOSED

Hallies
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hallies Bar and Grill benefits from a unique location in the glass covered atrium of Knaresborough's Castle Courtyard shopping centre. The restaurant is located on the first floor and consists of three dining areas that are decorated with soft colours, complemented by splashes of bright colour, giving a relaxed and cheerful mediterranean ambience The main dining area, with accommodation for up to thirty diners, has windows overlooking the atrium.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Me and my boyfriend drove to Knaresborough from Harrogate with the intention of going to another restaurant, but when that was filled with rowdy locals, we searched in the cold for somewhere else and came across Hallieva Mexicana- and I am so glad we did!
I was sceptical when we first entered the dining room as there was no member of staff or any other customers, but as soon as one of the owners came out to greet us, I knew we had nothing to worry about. She was so welcoming and explained the menu to us in great and knowledgeable detail.
We had an individual portion of chilli nachos to share (absolutely delicious- the chilli is like nothing I've ever tasted!) and also ordered a tapas dish of goats cheese empanadas. Unfortunately these were left off our order to begin with, but as the owner was so apologetic and lovely we could hardly be upset, especially when she offered to give us them for free! We both enjoyed a chicken burrito with our empanadas (all fabulous), followed by a light dessert which was recommended when we said we were both stuffed!- a delicious coconut roll which was well presented and a sweet but light end to the meal.
The bill was served in a little trinket box which contained chocolates, hand wipes and toothpicks, lovingly put together by the owner herself who presented it with pride. Altogether an absolutely fantastic experience with the best, most authentic Mexican food we have ever tasted- sorry Chiquitos but you've been outmatched! Will definitely be returning regularly.

2  Thank Emma B
CarolinaB887, Owner at Hallies, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi Emma B,

Thank you for taking time to write a review, we are so glad you found us. It was a pleasure to meet you both and you were a pleasure to serve. We are really happy that you enjoyed your meal and look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards

Carolina

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The reviews had us really excited about this newish restaurant, but I really can't see what the fuss is about, unless we went on a bad night? Whilst the service was friendly the food was very very average, especially for the price and not good enough to make me want to go back in a town/area with so many good restaurants these days.

1  Thank sagalout99
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stumbled across this restaurant whilst trawling the Internet for somewhere for me an my boyfriend to have Sunday lunch on Easter Sunday! When we saw they were offering a Mexican twist on Sunday lunch we decided we had to give it a try! We were not disappointed!
I had the prawns and nacho chips in lobster sauce-by far the tastiest starter I've ever had! My boyfriend had the duck taco,also very tasty! We both had the roast dinner-I had lamb and my parter the beef! Carolina was extremely helpful when it came to choosing what chilli 'gravy' to have with our meals! Both meals were absolutely outstanding!
We were both stuffed after two courses but I aren't one to turn down a pudding and I was so glad we didn't! We had the brownie with nuttella ice cream and the brioche pudding with tequila macerated fruit! Again both puddings were fantastic!
Thank you to Carolina and Colin on an unforgettable Easter Sunday lunch!
We are already planning our next trip!

1  Thank Poppit1311
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have visited Hellieva Mexicana several times since its opening and have never been disappointed. The food is superb, the owners are so welcoming, the staff are always so helpful and the ambience is perfect. We make a point of treating ourselves about once a month and always come away happy, extremely full (!) and looking forward to our next meal there. I am a vegetarian, my husband is not, but there are several starters we could share, though we invariably go for the nachos to start/share and then go our separate ways on main courses. I have had the mixed bean and vegetable chilli many times and it is simply delicious, one of the best I have ever had. My husband has tried various main courses and has always found these first class. It was surprising to read negative reviews of this restaurant and we can only surmise that those visitors were looking for heat/spice/fast food rather than a melange of flavours and freshness of ingredients. The owners, who are absolutely delightful both in their service and attitude, will explain that the chef chooses and cooks with what seasonal and appropriate produce is available which gives the menu a variety of quality rather than a quantity of variety which in our opinion is by far the best way.

We highly recommend this restaurant and sincerely hope it succeeds. The warmth of hospitality along with the lovely ambience, music perfectly accompanying the intimate surroundings affords a memorable meal and a truly super evening out.

2  Thank Jacqueline G
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Been twice now - both mid week, after a few beers at Blind Jacks with 2 other "lads". The first night we were welcomed by "him" and the second by "her". Both were first class, made us very welcome and looked after us throughout the night. Both the starters and main courses were enjoyable - and, I have to admit, I am not a great fan of Mexican food. But this was not fast food or a franchise outlet. Looked to us as if they owners were trying ever so hard to create something different but with its own quality - and they are achieving that. If you want Knaresborough to prosper and to have a variety of good food outlets, then do give this a try. The wine list is more than acceptable and there is a surprise in that there is a good range of whisky!

2  Thank DaleNorthYorkshire