“lovely relaxing massage in spa”

Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Knaresborough
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We did not stay in the hotel but visited the spa which was very enjoyable and relaxing. We had lunch in the spa which was excellent. We had booked for the fire and ice experience so were a little disappointed to discover that there was no ice :(. Another minor complaint is that I don't think it is professional to see therapists chewing gum, other than that I can say we had a very enjoyable experience and all of the staff made us feel very welcome and well cared for. I would have rated 5 if it wasn't for the fact that there was no ice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KenHardy, General Manager at Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear CoDurhamAnn

Thank you for visiting Imagine Spa at the Dower House recently and for taking the time to write a review.

We are delighted to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful and you enjoyed your Spa treatments, are very lucky to have a great team here at the Dower House Hotel & Spa positive feedback gives us all a real buzz. I am sorry the Ice feature was out of order, we are waiting for a part and this will be back up & running on Monday.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was an overnight stop en route from Edinburgh to south of London, so we weren't looking for miracles. The room we were given initially had an aroma (which was not the odour of sanctity), and when Reception telephoned to check whether we were happy there, they responded immediately to our concern by shifting us to another room without demur. I'm not accustomed to a phone call from Reception to check that we're comfortable - they get a quarter of a point (nobody ever gets more); to be re-homed so quickly and without demur is another positive (another quarter of a point). The restaurant was fine - the food good, plenty of it, and served by attentive and unobtrusive staff (that's a third quarter of a point!). If there's anything to cavil about it's the uneven floor in the room to which we moved - had we looked upon the wine while it was red we might have felt uncomfortable. We didn't, and we didn't. For some, though, having to ascend from bed to bathroom, and balance on a floor whose slope was inconsistent, might be challenging. However you slice and dice the experience, it was better than enduring the aroma of the first room - and I'd be confident that it wouldn't persist for any future occupants.

Room Tip: Room 31 is in the older part of the building with an uneven floor - and more comfortable accoutremen...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BPinOz

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback, we genuinely appreciate it.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

we checked in friday night with 2 kids and a dog. We we put in room 32, a first floor flat type room. The room could do with a bit of TLC, new carpet and redecorate. The bathroom looked very new and was good aprt from the shower, need an electric or power shower. No mini bar or fridge. Adequate for our 2 night stay. It was red hot in the room ( I shouldnt moan about the weather) but due to no double glazing and a hot night, we had to sleep with the windows wide open. The Hotel is situated on the main Harrogate to york road, so we didnt get much sleep on the Friday.
Aprt from that, the facilities, pool , spa, bar and restaurant and bar food were excellent, and staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay again but would insist on a rear aspect room.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the rear or take ear plugs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear thewoodsinOz

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your stay with us.

I am delighted that over all you enjoyed your stay,and would return to us in the future.

I would like to assure you the points you have highlighted have been addressed.

We very much look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Many thanks and kind regards

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was our 2nd year at the Dower House, the first day coincided with the Annual Knaresborough Bed Race. The staff were worried we wouldnt get to the hotel before the race started as it went right past the door so the manager phoned us a few days before to make sure we were aware. When we arrived at about 11.45 am, the front car park was buzzing with a barbecue, bar and seating, and a great atmosphere. Although officially we werent going to be booked in until later they told us our rooms were ready if we wanted to get in early.
The hotel is really friendly and extremely clean. Not being able to exercise much due to various reasons, it was wonderful to have a leisurely swim in the reasonable size pool or a Jacuzzi. My husband loved the sauna as my sister-in-law and her husband.
The breakfasts are good with a great choice, the restaurant staff are very personable.

We would definitely go back. If there was one minor disappointment it was that the menu didnt change much during the week. Good bar menu though if you didnt want to eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shirley W

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your stay with us, it was a pleasure to welcome you back.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, I have passed your comments on to all the team, positive feedback gives us all a real buzz.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Bought through Travelzoo, this girl's spa day was a real treat. The treatments on offer were indeed just that, a real treat. Each of us got to choose what we personally wanted from a good selection on offer. Facial, massage, manicure etc. We also had access to the pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and mini foot spa for the full time of our visit.
A meal wasn't included in the offer so we paid extra for lunch [soup and sandwich etc] which was delicious,
All-in-all we felt truly pampered. A great day to spend with a group of friends, or your Mum.

To help to increase the luxury aspect of the experience a bit of stitching would be useful to tidy up the pockets, ties etc. on the towelling robes. They were a bit tatty around the edges.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Harricobean

We are delighted you enjoyed your experience, positive feedback gives us all a real buzz.

With kind regards

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I visited here with my best friend as a girly treat before she emigrated. We booked the spa and champagne package. The room had been refurbished and was very pleasant - I wouldnt rave about it as there are a few things which i felt the company had scrimped on ( average refreshment tray, poor selection of toiletries, simply dreadful shower, not a power shower so I felt like it was 1987!) but it was clean, smelt nice and had a good supply of lovely quality towels to match the high quality bed linen ( VERY important).
The spa was great - loved all of the facilities and our spa treatments were truly lovely. I felt relaxed and pampered. The spa area was clean and well maintained and not too busy. The treatment rooms had been done to a very high standard.
Our 3 course evening meal ( included in the package) was very good. There were 5 starters , mains and puddings which provides a great selection but isnt so big that the food isnt fresh. everything had obviously been cooked to order, was served nice and hot and presented very well. The chef obviously puts some love into his food and has a passion for what he does which in my experience is sometimes all to often missing from hotel restaurants. I enjoyed every mouthful. Breakfast was good too but a few critical pointers - the sausage was a little low quality for my liking although I know this style of sausage is often served at breakfast. The cheese selection was more what I would expect to find on a cheese board on an evening - some sliced cheeses would be more appropriate in my opinion.
What made this place special though was the staff - apart from the general manager who is in his late 30s the staff were all young and they were all, without exception, friendly, smiling, and helpful. They could not have been nicer or more accommodating. They were attentive without being OTT and they are such a credit to the hotel. Staff make or break a place and if I was the manager here I would be hanging onto this team for dear life - from the housekeepers, bar staff, waiters, spa staff, receptionist they were without fault which is something I find most unusual as I am hyper critical and always expect the best wherever I go!
As ever, the question is " would I stay here again?" and I have to say, YES absolutley. In fact I have already booked my next stay, coming with my husband for my birthday. And I just cant wait!
So, to sum up IMO highly recommended - and make sure you check the special offer packages as they have some excellent ones.

Room Tip: I followed previous comments advice and asked for a refurbished room which i have asked for on my ne...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear yummymummyYork

Thank you so much for taking time to write about your stay with us.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us, your comments have been passed onto the whole team, positive feedback gives us all a real buzz.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you in August.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the second time that I've stayed in the hotel and the decoration is looking a little tired, but is more than made up for by the friendly and helpful staff at the hotel.
Breakfast is fairly typical but was well cooked and a peaceful way to start the day in the conservatory overlooking the garden.
Room was amazingly hot even though the radiator was switched off.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sue G

Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed on to the team.

It is always a pleasure to welcome guests back to the hotel, We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Ken Hardy

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Crowne Plaza Harrogate
Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
The Crown Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#14 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!