We stayed at this picturesque hotel on Bank holiday Whitsun week and expected it to be quite busy but were surprised that it seemed quite quiet although I think it was used by business travellers quite frequently. Anyway we were greeted at reception with a very warm and friendly hello and check in was very painless and pleasant and was offered the usual help with bags and cases.
Our family room was clean, well appointed with kettle and tea making and a large flat screen TV with the usual free views channels, décor wise it was slightly dated and could probably do with a makeover, bed was large and comfortable although our daughter's bed was somewhat basic and not very comfortable which dipped down in the middle and she is very thin! Bathroom looked like it had a recent refit with a lovely Mira power shower which was excellent and much better than some showers we have experienced.
The swimming pool and Jacuzzi were excellent and clean with good facilities including steam room, sauna and foot spa's as well, changing rooms were also very clean and had lovely showers including a "Monsoon" option!
Food in the restaurant was very good, well cooked and very tasty although on our 4 nights of eating the menu was maybe a bit repetitive with some meals being repeated more than twice, a more varied menu would be better, staff were very attentive and well mannered although we seemed to have a different waiter / waitress on more than one occasion.
Breakfast was very good and lots of options available.
Our main moan about this hotel was the Wi-Fi or lack of it! Not once during our stay could we access any connection in our room (no.28) maybe it was because it was in the corner of the hotel I don't know, but when our daughter brought her I pad downstairs in reception or lounge we could then get connected!
I think this problem is something the hotel is aware of and one evening we saw a member of staff trying to reset the terminals in the corridor ceilings alongside the rooms and when we and another guest complained to her about it she said "This Wi-Fi is the bane of my life!" or something very similar, also we noticed at meal times a lot of other guests had their laptops with them and maybe this is because the restaurant was downstairs and very near reception, who know's.....
It could be very frustrating for business guests.
Anyway a few issues to address but overall a nice hotel, well situated and friendly staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel is as full of character as it is convenience, when you're not enjoying a good nights sleep, you can relax in our recently refurbished Imagine Health & Spa with a swim, treatment or work out.You'll not only enjoy the sights and sounds of the traditional market town of Knaresborough, but also the opportunity to take in beautiful river walks and historical landmarks such as Mother Shiptons Cave and the Castle ruins ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Dower Hotel
- Best Western Knaresborough
- Knaresborough Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Dower House Hotel & Spa Knaresborough, Yorkshire