“Grandma and Grandad loved it!”

Mother Shipton's Cave and The Petrifying Well
More attraction details
Owner description: Mother Shipton’s Cave is England’s oldest visitor attraction, having been open since 1630. Millions of visitors from all over the world have been enchanted by the park's natural beauty, mesmerised by the Petrifying Well and enthralled by Mother Shipton's birthplace and her amazing story. The park has several scenic picnic areas, an adventure playground and museum and gift shop. Themed events run during school holidays. The park is open every day until 4th November, 10 am to 4.30pm (last admission 3.30pm). There is parking on site (£2 all day in addition to admission).
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We used to visit the cave and petrifying well often in the Seventies when our two sons, now aged 42 and 39, were young. We took a trip down memory lane yesterday with our grandchildren, aged 8 and 5 and enjoyed the day. I think the attraction is worth the money and the extra cost of parking for the day with the freedom to come and go on production of a valid ticket. The park is a joy and there is a lot of information readily available. The kids no doubt would rather have a day out at some tacky theme park but such is life and that would certainly have cost a lost more! We will be returning shortly for a relaxed visit to this lovely, peaceful place. God bless Mother Shipton and long may she grant us our wishes.

2  Thank Helen H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)
All reviews
"treasure hunt"
in 15 reviews
"car parking"
in 27 reviews
"interesting place to visit"
in 18 reviews
in 32 reviews
"sunny day"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Well I have wanted to visit here for a long time and finally got around to doing it!
I expected just the cave with the petrifying well, I never knew the grounds were so scenic with beautiful forest parkland children’s play area and a picknick area on the riverside with gorgeous views of the town castle and boating. Also lots of photo areas with wood carvings etc. (see some of my pics)
The well itself was interesting but as an attraction on its own would only take approx. 15 mins but like I say there is a great big site perfect for a sunny afternoon.
We are hoping to go back to spend the day with a great big family picknick day out next week
£6.00 entry Adults £2.00 Car Parking

2  Thank IL0veH0tels
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I think it's too much for an entrance fee £20 for a family of four,(including £2 on top for parking !) if you're not staying for the whole day and just want to see the petrified things hanging under the limestone rock.The cave is not really like those caves that I have already seen,more like it's been dug out . It might be worth it if you stay for picnic and boating and spend the rest of the day by the river. They should have a separate price for long and short stay visit.

1  Thank rowana210
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a beautiful day at Mother Shipton's Cave. There were 2 adventure playgrounds for the kids to play on, a nice cafe, and you can leave your car there & visit Knaresborough (which is lovely). The actual cave bit only takes 5 minutes and the museum must be the smallest in the world (but it is interesting). The riverside & forest walk would not be good for visitors with mobility problems but my kids loved it. I would have given this a 5 star rating but it is very expensive for what it is. If it was a little cheaper we would probably go several times a year, so I think they are missing out on regular visitors.