“Sadly, this place is going downhill.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of SO! Bar and Eats

SO! Bar and Eats
Ranked #28 of 74 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: SO! bar and eats is knaresboroughs award winning busiest bar and kitchen. Offering a relaxed and informal diniing and drinking experience. Its perfect for the general foodie looking for something new to try, to groups of friends out for some nibbles and wine.We offer an inventive, eclectic and more importantly delicious and extensive menu to suit all tastes and occasions not to mention being known as the best place to drink in town
Leeds
“Sadly, this place is going downhill.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I ate here last night (a Sunday of the Spring bank holiday) and have to say we both left feeling pretty disappointed.
We had a taste card and before going we double checked the website which told us it wasn't valid Fridays, Saturdays and in December so therefore fine for us to use on a bank holiday. I also told the guy on the phone we had one and he said that was fine. We have used it here before on a bank holiday and staff always have to double check but in the end it is accepted. Tonight, however, we had to pay full price.
I have been to So bar quite a few times and always liked it. It seems popular and I've always thought the food was really good even if the place could do with a bit more of a clean up. I would definitely recommend booking a table beforehand and getting table service.
Last night both our waitresses seemed friendly to start with. When I mentioned to one that we had a taste card she said that was fine but later came back and told us it wasn't valid on bank holidays. I pointed out that the website doesn't say this and we have used it before. She said she would get back to us. However, she didn't get back to us and carried on serving the tables around us and totally avoided us so we felt unsure of what was going on! When the other waitress took our order we assumed (wrongly) that since we'd not been told otherwise that our taste card would be fine! We ate our food and the first waitress continued to ignore us for a while until she asked if we wanted our bill. I asked politely if she had found out about the taste card and she just said it wasn't valid so therefore we had to pay full amount. We both felt totally robbed because we went out for this meal thinking it would have cost us half the price and annoyed because the waitress failed to tell us and just ignored us!
The food was nice enough but far too overpriced. Nearly £12 for nachos! My boyfriend had a burger which he usually raves about but said it was too dry and overpriced. The drinks prices are also very high - £4.55 for a small glass of wine.
Having dined here many times we left feeling disappointed and ripped off and I can't honestly say if we will return as I feel the place is going downhill. We went on to try the new Wetherspoons which was so much cheaper (£1.75 for small glass of wine!) and the food looked ok there for a fraction of the price!!

• Visited May 2014

Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Very good service, good food, good beer, let down by the 'chips'.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Had a late luch here after our disaster in Great Ouseburn. Egg and chips, reasonably priced and an excellent pint of a Wharfe Bank Brewery Ale. After my wife mentioned to the bar staff that it was my birthday, the staff were keen to wish me a happy one. We both had the egg and chips. The eggs appeared to be free range, but oh, the chips. It can't be expensive to do proper chips, rather than those Mcrubbish style 'fries' and would make the meal so much better.

Visited May 2014
Nicosia
“Excellent food and atsmosphere”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The presentation and quality of the food. Excellent selection. Tried different dishes each ones was fantastic.

Visited April 2014
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Better than mixed reviews would suggest. ”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Called in after visiting Harrogate food show. Nothing much open at 16.30 in Knaresborough but So was recommended by the proprietor of a cafe that was closing so gave it a try. Had rump steak + chips and sausages and mash from Earlies menu ( 2 for £13) and shared a starter from specials board (£3.50). All beautifully cooked and amazing value. Service was friendly. The table and surroundings were clean and the toilets were exceptionally clean. Two mistakes with the bill (failed to charge for two drinks and then overcharged when mistake pointed out) and the fact that the rump steak was about 25% fat prevented a higher marking.

Will call in again when in the area.

Liverpool
“Eating out”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

So! What can I say about the So Bar? Seemed very popular and had to book an early table to eat there, was Good Friday though,
Wife had the steak and I had chicken, wife said her steak was ok, cooked well but nothing special, when my chicken came I was very disappointed to see the chicken was a baby one about the size of a quail? Very messy to eat and not much meat on it.

Visited April 2014