The Mitre Inn
Ranked #6 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We just came back from a short visit to the Mitre. It's a great spot. It is very close to the train line but it is not a problem. The breakfast is fabulous. The bar has a great selection of beers and spirits. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Received a really warm welcome from all of the staff who went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating, cleaning my room well before check-in time as I arrived early and needed somewhere to get ready for a wedding. Room was clean, modern and spacious. Great location, literally opposite the train station but did not disturb us noise-wise in the slightest. Breakfast was made to order and amazing, again very accommodating when we turned up an hour passed breakfast and they didn't hesitate to feed us!

Thank you very much for a lovely experience! We would definitely recommend and return ourselves if we are ever again in the area!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent 3 nights in the Mitre Inn while down in Knaresborough for a wedding. First thing to note (and this applies to Knaresborough in general) there is no parking anywhere near the hotel and the closest parking is pay and display for no more than 2 hours. The hotel itself is siuated at the bottom of a dead end road with very little space for turning. Once we arrived at the hotel check in was simple, you have to pay up front though, we were taken to out room, which was finished to a high standard and looked good. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was massive and clean, pretty much all I care about. It also came with a large tv, tea/coffee (well stocked), etc. My only complaint about the room would be the temperature, even with the radiators off and the window open it was very warm (and it was pretty cold outside). Having the window open at night was not ideal, being a pub it was very noisy downstairs and outside until about 30 mins after closing time, not a problem if you're drinking too but if you're trying to get an early night you're out of luck. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were great too, very prompt and polite, good selection of hot and cold food and drinks, perfect start to the day.

I should probably say that the train station is about 5 meters from the front door, perfect if you're using public transport.

Back to the parking and I'm sorry to say this is the main reason for my rating, when we arrived I asked the staff behind the bar where I could park my car, I explained that I needed somewhere to leave it for more than a couple of hours (possibly a full day) unattended. I was led outside to a space occupied by a van from the neighboring garage and told I could ask the workers to move it and park there... perfect. Unfortunately when I tried to park there later that night, someone else was in the space, so I went back and asked again if there was anywhere else I could go... blank faces, something mumbled about parking discs for locals, blah blah blah. Useless, why they couldn't simply tell me about the massive car park at the other end of the main street, where you can park all day for £1.60, I do not know. Very disappointed with the level of service and local knowledge from these members of staff, they couldn't even explain to me how the parking at the train station works (free if using the trains). Surely I can't be the first person to ask about parking.

Overall I would say that if you are not driving and do not have early starts during your stay, this place would fit the bill perfectly. As I said, I feel bad giving only three stars but I feel the performance of the staff in the evening was very poor and caused us some unnecessary hassle.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our room at the Mitre was modern, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was exceptional with plenty of space for our own toiletries along the wide shelf plus hot water galore! Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and the dinner menu very classy, included Goan fish stew and a spring onion and herb souffle, along with traditional offerings of meat / fish / pies etc. and all made in house. The Real Ales on offer were a real bonus for we Camra members (our reason for booking here!). Staff throughout very helpful and friendly, even sent on left behind shorts with no charge. Manager Adam Gray was efficient and helpful.
Must mention the hotel is next to the station, superb for days out to York and Harrogate, but trains start at 6.45am, so you might be disturbed a bit early for your taste. Being a light sleeper I was apprehensive, but very quiet through the whole night and were just stirring as we heard the 1st train. Knaresborough is far, far better and more picturesque than its more well known neighbour Harrogate and very convenient for the A1. We will go again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great pub and superb beer. Sat outside on Sunday afternoon with 3 friends and saw a sign saying Sunday Lunch served till 4.00 PM. I tried to order food before 3.30 PM and my order was refused as allegedly a party had just arrived! So if you are hungry watch out for information that is subject to a time-shift. Otherwise you will like me have to seek out an alternative Sunday lunch, we found one within 5 minutes.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Went for fathers day lunch as the Beer is spot on loads of real ales.

The food was good, but when ordering pate and deep fried camembert you dont expect to wait 50 minutes, especially when you are with kids, they werent even busy at this point as we went at around 3pm well after any rush would have been expected. The Mains were nice sunday roast, lasagne and a burger - not big portion sizes but fine.

If it wasnt for nice weather, great beer and some friends happening to be there dont think I would have been as impressed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We lunched here on market day, 23rd May. It was very hot and we sat outside and ordered lunch and drinks. One other table was occupied near us and the inside bar was all but empty. Our lunch, eventually, was delicious but we were disappointed that two plates of sandwiches took 30 minutes to arrive. We will, however, return as the food was lovely but hope the service improves.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank dollyhouse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knaresborough
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
Goldsborough Hall
Goldsborough Hall
#1 of 15 in Knaresborough
Innkeeper's Lodge Harrogate East, Knaresborough

Been to The Mitre Inn? Share your experiences!