“Poor Breakfast”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirklevington
North East Scotland
“Poor Breakfast”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in the hotel several times and it is generally very good. The rooms are of a very good standard and are well furnished and maintained. The staff are in the main very helpful and customer focused and try hard to make your visit memorable. In this instance I felt disappointed by the breakfast which was quite poor and for this reason I have scored the hotel as average. The person running the breakfast service spent a long period of time fawning over a large table of American guests. Judging by the extended conversations that were ensuing they are probably regulars, however, they were not the only guests in the hotel and everybody else was being neglected. I understand that there is a balance in terms of keeping regular guests happy (that was certainly being done) but everybody in the hotel has paid for the privilege of good service? My breakfast was over cooked and I didn't finish it. To be fair, I don't think I was charged for it, but I will probably stay some where else in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Highlander1967
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Whilst it's nice to read the positives in this review it is saddening to learn that we didn't make this guest feel as valued as others who were having breakfast that day. As I've said before we take all feedback, both good and bad, very seriously. Not only does it help us to support the good things that we are doing but it also allows us to address the points that we could improve. I hope that we will see this guest again so that we can demonstrate to him that his feedback has helped us to improve our performance. Tim Howard GM 17/7/13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

June 29th 2013 our daughter had her wedding day at Judges Hotel we stayed two days and had a great weekend all the staff working throughout the weekend could not do enough for us, the wedding was arranged to the happy couple requests and Emma (wedding co-ordinater) made us feel like nothing was too much trouble. The bedrooms were lovely with lots of special touches and luxuries they also had lots of complimentary gifts (loved the chocolates and sherry) and we enjoyed the great choice of food at breakfast on both days.
The hotel is so peacefull and relaxing the gardens are glorious, we have visited many hotels but none have compared to this one.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens when you open the curtains its a lovely way wake up watching...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
What a great way to start the day, on behalf of all the team thank you for your very kind words. Please spread the word about us to your friends and we all look forward very much to being of service again in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 3/7/13
Gtr Manchester
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay at Judges Hotel for the wedding of a family member. The hotel is full of character and stands in exceptionally beautiful gardens. Each room appears to be decorated and furnished with individual touches. The reception was held at The Courtyard Suite where the facilities were every bit as appealing as the main hotel which all added to a wonderful day for the bride and groom and everyone who attended. Thanks to all at The Judges Hotel for making the wedding and stay at the hotel so special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Super, thank you! Please tell your friends about us and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Judges in the near future. Kind regards, Tim Howard GM 3/7/13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Oh hail Judges Country House Hotel, an escape from the norm in the glorious English countryside. I've never guite grasped the hotel star rating system, case in point, this is 5 star hotel through and through, and a Pride Of Britain Hotel which says it all really.

The hotel is a work of art in its own right, and inside there are oodles of artefacts and paintings that add to the charm of this property. My bedroom was fabulous, and overlooked the perfectly manicured garden, complete with a bridge that was like looking at a painting by Monet brought to life before my eyes.

The food was great, I ordered room service which is normally hit and miss, but not here, thankfully. I must make mention of the team that served breakfast, they are a magnificent bunch that entertain as well as they serve, great fun and they really do set you up for a great day in how they serve as well as the food they serve.

I recommend this hotel unreservedly and look forward to returning, such a great find.

• Stayed June 2013
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Gosh, I don't know what to say other than thank you on behalf of us all. Please do spread the word about us and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back to Judges in the near future. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 18/6/13
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have just returned from a 2-day stay at Judges. This was our second visit, we initially visited in March/April time on a "Bubbles Break" (not sure if still available)
I think the fact that we came back for seconds again so quickly says it all. I live relatively near (Newcastle) but my partner is from London, and rest assured, he would not make that journey again if it wasn't worth it!
We are lucky when we travel - we are able to stay in some of the best hotels around. That is, of course, a wonderful luxury, but it also means you develop very high standards and can be let down. Not in the case of Judges.
Last time we were in a posh room with 4-poster etc. It was lovely. This time we had a room that was the next level down, I think . If anything we loved it more. Incredibly spacious, wonderfully furnished, very pink!! It was fabulous. Look , if you want an ultra modern "boutique hotel" this is possibly not the place for you. If you want a "Country House" hotel - which is what Judges claims to be - then I cannot believe you could find fault with the bedrooms.
The Grounds are simply lovely. Part sculptured parkland, part shrubby wilderness with winding stream. Lots of side buildings which hint at a bigger Hotel in the past - we hope they can be regenerated. (Small Spa, maybe??)
Food. What can I say? I defy anyone who likes fine dining to pick fault with the food at Judges. It is wonderfully cooked, beautifully presented and served with panache. Lobster, lamb, scallops, rose veal...all wonderful. I am not a desert person, much preferring cheese when I can manage it, but their take on strawberry cheesecake just about converted me. I had it both nights, it was so good.
The staff are great. Friendly, efficient and interested. By that I mean that they take some time to make you feel you are not just another person on the conveyor belt.That enthusiasm must be hard to sustain and I salute Judge's Management for achieving it. Perhaps it has something to do with the staff believing in the "product" as well. Probably wrong to single out a member of staff, but we cannot praise your Bar Manager enough. Superb, a quiet charmer, hang onto him!
Is there a reservation? Well, perhaps a tiny one. I think the Goldfish in the room is a genius idea. But being an animal nut, I wonder are their bowls big enough, and do you remember to go in and feed each one even if the room is empty?..So far, in fishy terms, we have met John and Darla. Here's hoping we get to meet more very soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
What a super way to start the week, on behalf of us all, thank you. I particularly love the comment about my team. We try very hard to look after our guests at all times and we strongly dislike anyone who "processes" guests. Your words showed my team how they had made you feel and this has brought a big smile to their faces. Just to let you know, the outbuildings are part of the Hall itself and, who knows, when the economy improves we might even look at a small spa and yes, Alice, and her housekeepers, do look after the goldfish if a room is empty overnight; to not do this would be uncaring. We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to Judges in the very near future and in the meantime please don't forget to tell your friends about us. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 17/06/13
Durham
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Last Sunday Judges in Yarm played host to my wonderful mums wedding and what a fabulous wedding it was!

Firstly the rooms were absolutely phenomenal! The wedding party had booked three rooms; 12, 12A and 8. Each of these rooms have lovely little quirks and luxuries to make the stay extra special. Rooms 12Aa and 8 had jaccuzzi baths, TVs in the bathrooms and a pet goldfish to keep you company , Room 8 had a full four poster bed and a separate sitting areas along with a fancy luxury bathroom too. All of the rooms had a complimentary mini decanter of sherry and a little box containing luxury truffles for the guest to enjoy. The mini bar was very well stocked and contained a note telling you that the prices in the mini bar are exactly the same as those charged at the hotel bar, which was a pleasant surprise. Far too often I have been the victim of exorbitant mini bar fees because I'm too lazy to amble down to the bar!

The staff in the hotel were just as impressive as the rooms. All were very friendly, organised and couldn't do enough to make sure mum had a truly amazing day.

The wedding also lived up to the hotels high standards. The ceremony was held in the bar areas of the main building and was as quirky and intimate as you would expect. Rather than layouts stiff upright chairs for the ceremony the hotel had arranged comfy sofas which made for a really relaxed atmosphere. As the weather was on our side the french doors were flung open so that the ceremony was accompanied by the sound of birds tweeting!

The wedding breakfast was similarly relaxed and consisted of a BBQ served in the conservatory with plenty of wine. The food was amazing, although by this point I wouldn't have expected any less!

All in all I was hugely impressed by this fabulous hotel. The rooms and food were amazing and they know how to put on a good wedding. They really listened to my mum when she said that she wanted a small, relaxed, intimate wedding and absolutely delivered on what she asked for giving her a fabulous day to be remembered.

Room Tip: If you can ask for room 8 or 12A!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Laura M
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
What a great way to start the day! On behalf of us all, thank you. Please do tell your friends about us and we hope to see you all again very soon. Kindest regards, Tim Howard, GM 4/6/13
Leeds, UK
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here for our anniversary with a special DBB offer. Got a lovely upgraded room (they called it a feature room -- might often be called a Junior Suite). Bottle of Cava chilled waiting for us as part of the DBB package. Also a sherry decanter there, tea/coffee facilities, nice biscuits, chocolates.... Very comfortable sitting area and beautifully decorated. The DBB included their special seasonal menu which had restricted choice but we were happy with our choices from it. Beautifully presented and a great wine list. Comfortable night and then cooked to order breakfast in the morning. Service excellent and all very friendly and welcoming. The conservatory area overlooking the garden was full when we first went in for breakfast but it was no trouble to move us when a table freed up (I think we arrived at the optimally bad moment). Our only, very minor, complaint for the whole stay was that a poached egg at breakfast was a tad overcooked. Nice walk around the gardens after breakfast. We will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Our room was at the front overlooking drive; those at back would overlook garden. But still a pleasa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Super! Thank you for taking the time to write this review, please do spread the word about us! Thank you also for the helpful comment on the poached egg; I love detail like this and I have already asked my Exec Head Chef to address this. We look forward to welcoming you both back to Judges in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard, GM 4/6/13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirklevington
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
#6 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees West Hotel
Premier Inn Stockton-On-Tees Wes...
#4 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees

Been to Judges Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!