“How it should be done”

Judges Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirklevington
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have visited Judges several times previously and always enjoyed the location, ambience and food. This time we were treated to Sunday lunch on our way home from the North East Television awards in Gateshead. As our host later commented 'expensive restaurants rarely live up to expectations - unless someone else is paying then they are usually [expletive removed] great!' This is certainly not the case with Judges which delivers in every sense. Set in a beautiful historic building with attentive service and excellent food everything here is just so. This is a fine restaurant and we had another very enjoyable visit. You will like it too - even if you do have to pay for yourselves.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

I don't know what to say to this other than thank you. So, for once, I'll leave it at that and shut up! Hope to see you again very soon. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 19/3/13

There are newer reviews for Judges Country House Hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a long day at work, I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening.
Judges provided me with all this and more, starting with a gentle stroll through their delightful woodland and gardens.
My room was very comfy, and the perfect example of what a country house hotel should provide.
I ate in the bar, and the canapes and burger were delicious.
I spent the whole evening sat in front of the open fire with my book, and some excellent red wine.
I normally leave hotels early, but decided to stay for breakfast and indulge myself. Again I wasn't disappointed.
The service from all the staff was delightful, and I can happily recommmend Judges to all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

I loved reading this, thank you. I dislike with a passion hotels that are full of their own self-importance but who fail to provide an environment where guests can simply just chill out, relax and be looked after; so this brought a big smile to my face, thank you. Please do spread the about us to your friends and we hope to see you again very soon. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 12/3/13

Reviewed March 11, 2013

10 of us had afternoon tea at Judges to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday and we all agreed it couldn't have been better. We had a good choice of sandwiches (all made with differing breads; and plenty of them); these were followed by scones, jam and cream (they even made plain scones as requested by my daughter as she doesn't like fruit scones) and finally the most delicious cakes and individual trifles imaginable. Tea and coffee were plentiful and replenished on request at no extra cost. There was a welcoming blazing fire and extremely comfortable easy chairs and sofas - we were so snug we struggled not to doze off! The staff were excellent and nothing was a bother to them. If you're considering visiting Judges go for it - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in a room as our visit was for tea only.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

This is super to read, thank you. It breaks my heart when I peer through a certain teashop's window in Harrogate and see what they offer and how much they charge. I trained in London and my wife used to work at Brown's Hotel so together my team and I work very hard to make sure that our afternoon teas are done properly. I know that I'm biased here but I reckon our afternoon teas are more than a match for the highly priced ones in central London. Please do tell your friends about us and see you again soon! Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 12/3/13

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have previously been guests at Judges so we had no qualms about holding our civil partnership there due to its location and the service previously received. It is now even better and they excelled in every way.
Our day was held in 3 stages - the ceremony (small and low-key), champagne afternoon tea (for a larger party) and an evening of hot buffet food and music for additional guests. Every stage was perfect.
On arrival we were greeted by Emma who was an example of true professionalism from start to end. Everything was done and in place according to our wishes.
Our room was spotlessly clean and the champagne helped alleviate any pre-ceremony nerves.
Neil, our 'master of ceremonies' worked tirelessly all day to ensure that music was played at the right time and in the right places, furniture was arranged and re-arranged, good food was served, drinks were available and everybody was happy.
Thank you to all the staff at Judges who made our time there so special.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fjhs
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Having just come back to work after a few days away reading this was an absolutely fabulous way to start the week. On behalf of all the team thank you very much for your kind words, they really do mean a lot to us. Every happiness in your future together and we all look forward to being of service in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 4/3/13

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I spent several days at the Judges Country House Hotel this past fall. We have travelled around much of Europe and always prefer to stay in a country house rather than a large hotel or inn. After deciding on the area we wished to visit, we were thrilled to find the Judges and looked forward to our upcoming holiday with great anticipation. And alas, we were not disappointed in the least!! From the moment we pulled up to the beautiful circle drive in the front of the hotel, until the very last morning that we departed with our luggage being placed in our car by the Innkeeper himself, it was pure perfection. We love the old world decor of the Country House - it was warm and welcoming and everything we had hoped for. We thoroughly enjoyed dining there having fabulous meals overlooking the lush landscape. Our room was extremely spacious and wonderfully decorated. I especially enjoyed the touch of having our very own pet goldfish named Finn to care for. The service was excellent, the food delicious, and the atmosphere everything and more that a fine English country home should portray. I hope that we will be able to return to England again before long --- and will most certainly include a visit to the Judges Country House Hotel on our itinerary. Pure excellence - and we thank you for that.

Room Tip: We were located on the side of the second floor of the building overlooking the garden gazebo.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Fabulous! Thank you, it makes it all worthwhile! Please do tell your friends about us and that's there's more to the UK than just the routine tourist traps. We all look forward to welcoming you both back to Judges on your next trip. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 26/2/13

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We (that is my new wife and I) have just returned from our Wedding (18th Feb 2013) at Judges and what an absolute amazing experience, from the moment of booking this hotel to saying goodbye on Tuesday the whole experience has been fantastic. Emma who looks after us grooms and brides was brilliant, experienced, friendly and totally professional but with a huge personal touch, Suzanne who look after us on our big day was fantastic nothing was too much trouble she was brilliant at keeping everyone informed, sending in the children at the right time everything was amazing. The restaurant staff, well the service they provided was beyond second to none it was impeccable, friendly, seamless, un-hurried and made all the guests feel Important and relaxed. food well it is a 3 rosette standard so absolutely no complaints in that department. The room (Bridal suite No6) well outstanding, romantic, elegant and cosy are just a few of the words needed to describe it. What more can I say but Thank you to all the staff at Judges for making our wedding the most amazing day and the memories that we take will last forever..............!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Richard B
TimHowardJudges, General Manager at Judges Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Fabulous, thank you on behalf of all the team. Every happiness to you both in your future together and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Judges in the years to come. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 21/2/13

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just held the firms annual staff function at Judges Hotel Yarm. This was the first time we've held it a Judges but having had a few meals there in the past we thought it would be ideal. We were not disappointed. The room was wood panelled and cosy, the food was excellent and the service second to none. Dominique ran the whole affair for us with military precision and Angelo ensured we didn't go thirsty! You feel as though you are guests in a friends country mansion. Some of the party stayed overnight and were offered a reduced price. All were full of praise for the venue. We can recommend this hotel for functions, a meal out or a cosy weekend away.

Room Tip: After booking ask if a free upgrade is available.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

A super way to start the day, thank you on behalf of all the team. We hope to see you all again very soon. Kindest regards, Tim Howard GM 20/2/13

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirklevington
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
Best Western Parkmore Hotel
#6 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees

Been to Judges Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!