“Good honest food!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hunmanby B&B and Inns
Gtr Manchester
“Good honest food!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal here. We were a party of 4 adults and a baby and were greeted with an extremely warm welcome and found all of the staff to be friendly. The portions are massive as are the home made onion rings.... definitely for sharing! (they were tasty and I didn't find them watery as per a previous review!). Also, to clarify a previous review around steak sauce etc.., the menu does clearly state there would be a charge and if you were charged for extra portions, surely you should bring this to the attention of the pub at the time in order for them to have a chance to respond before writing a review on here! If you're expecting michelin starred food and surroundings then avoid this pub but for good, honest food at a resonable price then I would definitely recommend and will be returning on my next visit to the coast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Steve M, General Manager at The Royal Oak Near Filey, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks for posting a great review, your comments really hit home and we really appreciate your understanding. In fact you say the things we would love to say but can't.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I Stayed here on the off chance not a planned night when i was travelling recently, and popped in to see if they had a room available which they did.
As i entered i was welcomed by one of the owners Terry a Fantastic Charecter who posses all the charm of someone who should be front of house. The whole place gave me a strong feeling of nostalgia as outside on the decking i smelt the freshness of the air due to the surroundings being plenty of beutiful Greenerry and the North Sea absolutely Phenominal area so qualint. There i was introduced to Andy the other owner another Fantastic person very welcoming and a good laugh aprt from being a hull city fan lol. ?????
But together they posses all the attributes to turn any establishment into a great place with Top quality Food full of flavour and freshness and the rooms very clean tidy and well more than expected for how reasonablly priced the place was.

So all in all i highlky recomend here to eat or stay and if on hjolliday at primrose valley your are about a mile away a 20 minute walk so i highly recomend making it a point of call for some freshly cooked food.

Not many places you go you ask for a packet of crisps at 11pm and instead the Chef/Owner sticks on the griddle and makes you the best baking butty i have ever had lol. Cheers lads.

Room Tip: I was in room 5 perfect little room overlooking the Fields and Farms and Sea but all look Good to me
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for posting a great review, we certainly aim to please and are so glad you found us and decided to stay. Hurry back soon for another midnight feast!!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was the first time we visited The Royal Oak and stayed to eat. When we entered the pub we received a warm welcoming from friendly staff. It was around 7pm and the pub was pretty empty, which we didn’t really mind as we knew we would find a table and be served. We chose a table by the window, which looked out onto the garden. We were in the front dining area which in my opinion looked like it needed a bit of TLC and a makeover but was still an ok room and it was relatively clean. There was music playing which wasn’t too loud so we could hear each other talk but it wasn’t so quiet that you couldn’t hear which was good.
My main concern was the table. Our table was very sticky! Our napkins were stuck to the table so much so that when we lifted them up they ripped and parts of the napkin were still stuck to the table. Also anything placed on the table stuck like our plates and side dishes.

I liked the idea of having a dog friendly room and a room where dogs aren’t allowed as you could chose which you would prefer to sit in. We have a dog and would of liked to of brought her into the pub but on this particular day she wasn’t with us so it was nice to have the choice of a room where we could sit were there were no dogs and there would be no dog hairs ect.

The waiter was polite, friendly, chatty and up for banter but after so long became a little 'ott' in my opinion and a little bit 'pushy'

The menu was okay there was a decent choice of food plus a specials board. We had to wait a while for our food but we understood that it was being freshly made so we didn’t mind the wait.

We ordered sirloin steak x2 and a sweet and sour chicken. The Sirloin steak came with chips, onion rings, salad, mushrooms, a grilled tomato and a choice of sauce.
We asked for one of the steaks without tomato and without mushrooms as my dad is allergic. So the waiter asked if we would like to replace the tomato and mushrooms with onion rings, which we agreed to unknown to us that there would be a charge for these at the end of £2.50. Also the choice of sauce, there was 3 types to choose from, my dad didn’t have any but I chose the pepper sauce which again unknown to us there was a charge of £2.50 at the end. No were on the menu did it state there would be a charge for the sauce. It clearly stated that if you ordered the steak it came with sauce. I know this seems petty but when you pay extra for this and extra for that it adds up at the end. When our steaks came out my dad’s plate had the mushrooms and tomatoes on but this was quickly resolved as he scraped them off. However the waiter never asked if we would like the plate to be taken back and sorted. But as I said we resolved the problem quickly enough.

The sweet and sour chicken came with chips, rice and salad. This dish wasn’t what my mum was expecting but she did think it was beautiful. The chicken came battered with a sauce in a dish on the side rather than the chicken mixed in with the sauce but my mum really enjoyed it and stated that it wasn’t greasy.

The steak was beautifully cooked and wasn’t chewy. We both asked for it well done and that’s exactly how it came. The onion rings looked amazing but unfortunately they were really tasteless and watery which was a shame. The chips were nice but didn’t appear to be homemade they looked as if they were purchased from a chippy but they still tasted good.

The potions of food were massive!!! There was plenty left over but I wished the potions were smaller so that we would have had room for pudding. Which as we were so full we didn’t order any.

In the end we paid £50 for 3 people to have a main course and 1 drink each which in my opinion is a tad expensive. As we have had better quality food elsewhere, with no problems, which worked out a lot cheaper.

Overall this wasn’t the worst experience but I don’t think I would go back again.

Room Tip: watch out for the extra costs!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Steve M, General Manager at The Royal Oak Near Filey, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, or in this case a mini novel.

I would like to reply to your concerns and put our views across.

1. Let's get this sticky table stuff out of the way first, you are indeed correct, but this was nothing to do with cleanliness and all to do with our anti-bac cleaning materials. We believe the cleaning solution had started to erode the varnish on the tables. The very next day we removed all the varnish from the restaurant tables and have taken them back to wood.

2. We are pleased you have a dog, we also have a dog.

3. There is a charge for sauces on the menu, it clearly states £2.50. It does not clearly state it comes with a sauce, you are incorrect. I will email you a copy or you can go back to the pub and verify this, if you think I'm been sneaky and have just added it to the spreadsheet!!

4. Help me understand your Sweet n Sour expectations. You say your mother ordered Sweet n Sour Chicken, but when it came it wasn't what she was expecting, we are confused as to what this means, may be if we delivered a bacon sandwich then this wasn't what your mother was expecting??

5. We don't order in our chips, we don't have frozen chips, oven chips or any other type of mass produced chip rubbish. We use potatoes, peel them using a Rumbler, slice them in a Chipper and deep fry them in vegetable oil.

6. You can come and watch chef at anytime preparing the potatoes and how we turn them into chips, please ring and we'll gladly show you.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Having heard from friends just how wonderful the food and hospitality were we just had to try it for ourselves. I have to say, we were not disappointed. The quality of the food and service makes the Royal Oak well worth a visit. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and to be honest it makes a refreshing change to be eating good quality food. Portions are a little large for me but if you have a hearty appetite you will be fine. If not, they do some of the meals on a smaller scale. We will definately be going back for more. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We visited the Royal Oak on a Saturday evening, myself, my partner and our two teenage sons. We had booked in advance for 7:30pm but the pub was fairly quiet so I don't think that booking would always be necessary.

The food was generally good, two sirloin steaks were very nice as was the salmon. I had fish and chips and found the fish a but tasteless and the chips a bit dry. The puddings were all very nice. The two pints of beer I tried were variable, the first one was pulled a bit flat for my taste but the second (guest beer) was much better. Overall the bill came to £86 which I thought was good value.

The Irish landlord is a real character although his permanent banter may not be to everyone's taste.

So overall some mixed feelings but generally very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Filey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am part of the group that has visited with bigron! He's such a tease!

But as he says were trying this keep fit m'larky, by going swimming....

Afterwards since I'd not had tea the first week, we decided we'd try the food at the'Oak', that's after being put off at the pub in the bay complex!

My advice is starve yourself, these meals are not small, being home cooked sometimes the preperation takesawhile, but it is worth the wait!

I especially recommend the sweet & sour chicken!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
bigbum0204
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here on numerous occasions and had excellent food .
We ate here on Saturday night,we hadn't booked a table and was accommodated with a smile and staff that found us a table quickly .

The ale was perfect .we were given a taster of their wine by attentive staff.
Food .we wanted fillet but it was sold out so we chose sirloin .it was cooked to perfection. Big portions and served with politeness.

We was not disappointed with anything .service was quick and efficient. Price was reasonable for the portion size.

We will definitely be returning.

As for the negative comments you cannot please all the people all of the time But we have never been let down with anything at this lovely family pub
Keep up the good work
We will be back soon.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bigbum0204
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunmanby
White Lodge Hotel
#8 of 13 in Filey
Dale Farm
Dale Farm
#1 of 4 in Hunmanby

Been to The Royal Oak Near Filey? Share your experiences!