“We Really Liked Everything about This Day!!”
Review of Herriot's Kitchen

Herriot's Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 25 Restaurants in Hawes
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Herriot’s Kitchen has become a firm favourite with Upper Wensleydale residents and visitors alike, priding ourselves on using freshly supplied, top quality local produce. Serving a selection of light lunches, refreshments and Yorkshire cream teas, complemented with home-baked cakes, Herriot’s Kitchen makes the ideal starting point for your visit to the area, and the perfect finishing venue to relax.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

It was good to see Hawes looking so much like Itself, after my being away for quite a while. Everything was buzzing and so much to reconnect with. The market and the bookshop were pretty much top of my list, having bought so many in the time we lived close by.
I never had the time to have a cup of tea, then, but have made up since!
Herriot's Kitchen was a good place to sit and slip into a stream of recollections. Good coffee, a pleasant ambience and friendly staff. And, even though I was in a rosy glow (what with one thing and another) I think it's going to stay that way!

There are newer reviews for Herriot's Kitchen

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The art on display is great to look at whilst enjoying a delicious cream tea. Yummy home made scones plus a selection of other niceties makes this place a great little cafe.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had tea and cake here after a few hours walking the fells. We thought the name was a bit corny but we were pleasantly surprised inside - lovely artwork on the walls together with delicious cake and welcoming service. A good choice for a light lunch, morning cake and coffee or afternoon tea.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Due to the Tour de France visiting Yorkshire for the first two stages next year my brother and I decided to try a variant based on the first stage from Leeds to Harrogate on 25th October. For our one hot food stop we decided upon Hawes. The first cafe we came across was Herriot's Kitchen. As we hadn't brought any bike locks, due to the extra weight over the approximately 120 mile route, we wondered if Herriot's would let us leave our bikes in the hallway. I had just lifted my bike up the stairs into the entrance and before I could turn around to ask the staff whether this would be ok, a very rude gentleman abruptly stated you cannot leave your bikes here. He went on to comment that the reason for this is the blockage of the fire exit route which I can appreciate is a very valid point, however the tone and abruptness of the comment was unnecessarily aggressive.

We left our bikes outside and popped in for some food. By this point the gentleman in charge was clearly backtracking, I think realising how abruptly he had come across, but then went on to rant about you people (i.e. cyclists) don't do yourselves any favours by leaving rubbish around and causing a nuisance. I can imagine that previously this gentleman had a problem with a group of cyclists, however I fail to see how you can treat every cyclist / cycling party as if they are trouble-makers almost akin to stereotyping people based on their nationality or gender.

He felt it important at this point to highlight the sticker in the window about Yorkshire Welcoming the Tour de France as some evidence he supported cycling. I am unsure how you obtain this sticker and would be interested to know if there are any minimum requirements needed with regards to being cycle friendly or was simply given to businesses along the Tour route.

He offered us some bath mats to sit on to avoid any damage to his chairs - we had been cycling about 4 hours by this point in a pretty wet Autumnal day and we didn't have the cleanest of clothes.

I have no complaints with regard to the food we had, I had a ciabatta with brie, cranberry and bacon, which was tasty and nicely presented and at the end the gentleman offered to fill our water bottles free of charge.

In summary, the food was good but the service was lacking in several aforementioned ways. I certainly believe the gentleman in question needs to be more welcoming to cycling parties especially as the Tour travels through here next year and will undoubtedly bring his business a substantial financial boost. Cycling parties may want to choose alternative arrangements for food.

1  Thank Philip G
cheffy5, Owner at Herriot's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

If there had been an ounce of common sense then any discussions wouldn't have been required. NOBODY can block a fire escape / entrance whoever they are.
Yes i had had several run ins with cyclists that morning - 1 group completely blocking the steps to our establishment, then leaving their energy-gel -packs littered across my steps. The other group decided that our toilet and hand-basin area would be a great place to have a complete wash, drenching the floor, using loads of toilet roll to dry themselves; both of these groups had no intention of becoming customers to our business.
Now as business owners in the hospitality industry we aim to be as welcoming as we possibly can to all our visitors / customers, there should be a level of common courtesy returned.
If these 2 guys had intended to ask where to put their bikes then 1 of them would have held them and the other popped in to ask, this didn't happen, 2 bikes were being abandoned in a very narrow entrance way /fire escape, this was all because they had decided not to bring locks with them. At least you became customers and enjoyed the fine food.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

10 of us stayed at Herriots and had a fabulous weekend.
Not only did we have great breakfasts, plenty of choice and of a high standard but Liz also prepared a lovely evening meal for the 10 of us. The food was of high restaurant standard and good value for money. Glenn and Liz went out of their way to ensure we all had a lovely weekend.

1  Thank catherine g