My husband and myself spent 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast last week over our anniversary. All was well, we knew the hotel from walking in the area and stopping in for a cup of tea. The hotel itself could not be better, the house has the feel of a country mansion, and the public areas and rooms reflect this. We had room 4 and were not disappointed. It was large with probably the most comfy bed we have ever stayed in. The views from the window are absolutely stunning. The furnishings throughout the hotel have been well thought out and make the guest feel very comfortable. The barman was a little bit abrupt but this wasn't a problem.
However, when we had dinner that night my husband found his steak quite tough but decided not to complain as the service and other parts of the meal were fine, although not quite the ' fine dining ' we were expecting for an expensive country hotel of this standard.
The next morning the breakfast was very tasty and there was plenty of choice. But, when we came down for dinner we ended up feeling very angry. We were first down and others followed after 10 minutes or so. The service and food for the starter and main went by without a hitch. We then ordered our dessert and waited and waited. We did not expect it to come immediately, however, we sat patiently for 25 minutes whilst watching other diners being served with starters, mains, wine etc. and by this time we started questioning what was going on, and had the feeling that the kitchen wanted to catch up service with everyone else before dealing with our order, and at that point we decided to enquire. The waitress apologised and said she would go and ask. No more than 2 minutes later she returned with both our desserts, and stated that the chef had apologised, saying that ' the delay was because the waffles had been freshly made ' When my husband put his fork into the dessert it was obvious that this was not the case. They were hard and cold and certainly not what any diner would expect from a 4* country house hotel. My husband left the restaurant straight away to find someone who would deal with this as the statement by the chef simply wasn't true. This totally spoilt our meal that night.
The waitress was very polite and offered to get the chef so we could speak to her, and she was very apologetic on the chef's behalf and dealt with it very well. My husband decided that he did not want to make any more fuss as it was our anniversary and we had not anticipated having any confrontations.
We have left details in our feedback at the hotel and hope this is dealt with appropriately by the management.
The hotel has a policy of adding a service charge to the final bill, and, under the circumstances we asked for it to be removed. The receptionist asked me the reason which I told her, as they need to address this sort of behaviour to really live up to the stunning building, location and overall comfort of this beautiful part of the world.
Finally I would like an answer to this review by the management so that they can give inform me by e-mail what the outcome has been
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simonstone Hall, once home to Lord and Lady Wharncliff is set at the foot of Stags Fell with breathtaking Views over Upper Wensleydale, the River Ure and the foothills of the Pennine range. This magnificent country house, is privately owned and has been carefully restored, whilst preserving the historic character of the beautiful building. Standing in it's own splendid grounds, the view from the front of the hotel is surely one of the most stunning in the country and can e enjoyed from serveral of the bedrooms also.Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat; it's atmosphere exudes comfort and finery in equal measures. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and indulged. A grand staircase leads to the second floor where a selection of elegant hotel bedrooms can be found.Relaxing lounges with log fires provide the perfect haven to relax and unwind. With spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Four Fells restaurant, it's the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed or intimate dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simonstone Hall Country Hotel
- Simonstone Hall Country Hawes
- Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel Hawes, Yorkshire