“Excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawes
The White Hart Country Inn
Ranked #7 of 23 Hawes B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My friend and I stayed here whilst walking the Pennine Way. The room we were given was exceptional. It was a twin room: a very good size, tasteful decor and spotlessly clean. We ate in both evenings; the food was well presented and tasty. My friend wanted to set off very early one morning- no problem. The staff happily set their alarms half an hour earlier to accommodate her. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The White Hart offers good value, wholesome food with an upmarket twist and friendly service. I was horrified to read a negative review from someone who didn't even purchase anything from this re-knowned establishment. I can't imagine anyone would have the gall to complain about the service they received when asking for 'free' water!!!. It is unfortunate that such reviews can negatively impact on an excellent service provider. I do hope that anyone researching hotels and restaurants in Wensleydale will not be deterred from enjoying the fine food and facilities the White Hart has to offer. From experience it is often fully booked... that speaks for itself! Keep up the good work

Room Tip: We didn't stay - held a business meeting with food
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alice I
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We treated ourselves to a meal here whilst on holiday. The food was so lovely we couldn' t hold back and had 3 courses! The food really was excellent- from the starters to desserts. It was tasty and great value- not a cheap night out but worth every penny. The service was friendly and quick. Definitely will revisit on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

After reading the comments a cyclist made i felt i would write a review.we stayed here for a number of days. The room we had was fab clean bright and comfortable.we ate here every night and found the food excellent staff were preoccupied with deal with other paying customers. But were polite and attentive in a very busy business which must provide employment for many in such a lovely rural area.we travelled here by train which was approx 200miles and when we were thirsty we had to purchase a drink or food not rely on donations.i would not avoid this place. On your bike!

• Stayed: August 2013
Pat K, Owner at The White Hart Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your positive review, it is greatly appreciated. We would just like add that the views expressed about cyclists are not the views of the management of the White Hart.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I did not spend any money here, so cannot vouch for the attitude of staff to customers with money to spend. But neither would I ever choose to. On a warm weekend in the Dales, I was looking for somewhere to refill a water bottle, having cycled 70 miles before reaching Hawes and with another 65 to go. Seeing cheerful people at the tables in front of the pub, I thought I'd go in and ask for some water. The member of staff at the till didn't notice me and seemed to be more interested in the till than running the bar, so I approached another member of staff who had passed but not acknowledged me. I asked for some water, to which his response was to ask me if I was buying anything as well? Grudgingly he filled my bottle after a little sniping comment, and passed it back without word or smile. I thanked him and left.
I accept that water is not free, and the 20 seconds of his time that I took were not free either, but I can't remember the last time I had such unfriendly service. I'd have far rather gone somewhere where the staff were welcoming, friendly or happy to help, as I found everywhere else on my day's trip. As a result, I really cannot recommend the White Hart, regardless of the food or accommodation, and it seems that others have not enjoyed the service either. You shouldn't be working in a service industry if you don't enjoy helping people - I regret not getting the staff's names but the experience left me with a bitter taste in my mouth that still lingers now. Hawes is a delightful and characterful town, and I'd recommend it to anyone, but there are far more deserving places for your money than here, and only the fact that I did get some water saves this from being a zero-star review. I'm sorry if I caught the worst of the staff on a bad day, and there are harder-working, friendlier staff who do not deserve criticism, but I would strongly recommend going elsewhere. Avoid.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank DanielHutton

We would like to offer you our unreserved apology for the treatment you felt you received. We always strive to give polite and professional service to everyone who comes into the White Hart. We have always had good relationships with cyclists as mentioned in a previous review.Our ability to provide lockable storage for bicycles is greatly appreciated by our B&B guests. We have always been more than happy to provide water for anyone who requests it.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights, and were given the choice of two rooms, very large and a medium room, both were fitted out to a modern high standard, and bathrooms exceptional. some have a shower or shower/bath, and would put some 5* hotels to shame.
Food was excellent, with a good choice. The staff could not do enough- a big thank you all round,will definitely be back.

Room Tip: 3 and 4 are by far the largest, all are on the middle floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here on Sunday 7th July, making it into the pub with 10 minutes to spare before the 9pm end of service. The service was fast and efficient, and although it was fairly quiet there were enough other customers to make a nice atmosphere in the bar area where we sat. We had the garlic mushroom with Wensleydale cheese to start, which were delicious, and whilst not a large dish, were perfectly priced at ££3.99. We were also given a bread basket with butter (to my boyfriend's delight!) - always a welcome touch. For main course we had the sausage and mash, and fish and chips; both were nice, with the fish particularly being very tasty. The seating areas had been tastefully renovated, though the bar seating area could have had a bit more character - however the ladies toilets were fantastic! A pleasant evening and would be happy to return again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple