“Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star Inn

Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Harome
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We went for lunch today, was utterly amazing food. Fabulous service as well. Would highly recommend this beautiful old restaurant and we will certainly be back again soon

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Reviewer75467
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Brilliant, thank you very much! It's always nice to hear nice comments - for all the hard-working team. Most kind! Cheers AP.

“Excellent high quality food in perfect surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our party of four chose to eat here as a special birthday occasion and what a treat. The service, the food, the setting and furnishings were delightfull. The staff had a great sense of service with the minimum of fuss leaving you to enjoy your meal. The food most importantly was of a high quality and priced suitably. We will make no hesitation to visit again and sooner the better.

StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words! They are much appreciated by the whole team. Cheers AP.
derbys
“Star it is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We eat here one night whilst staying at The Pheasant.
Our Dinner was very good and so carefully prepared in general.
Two minor gripes.
Firstly if a virtue is made of seasonal and local ingredients then the pice does not so reflect as this is cheap.
Secondly we were served a further helping of greens without needing to ask. As this was broccoli and kale we were pleased and like to have what is from a local garden. However, kitchen please note, the second portion, if welcome was heavily over salted whilst the first was perfect. Sorry

• 4 of 5 bubbles
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. Regards AP
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Good but not quite star quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked for lunch on my 50th birthday, several months in advance. It was a long time since I'd been to such a high-class restaurant and I was really looking forward to it. On the whole it didn't disappoint.

My parents were treating me, so we took our drinks outside, sat in the autumn sunshine and admired the kitchen garden. The leather bar stools ranged against the wall of the Inn were a little scuffed and there was a full ashtray on the ledge behind us - not something you'd expect. However, it was still quite magical. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff, and, although we had a 1.30pm booking and were the last lunch diners that day, there was no pressure to hurry.

We ordered smoked salmon Caesar salad, deep fried Brie and Whitby crab for starters. Each dish was fine, but not quite as good as expected given the Star's gastronomic reputation. My smoked salmon salad was tasty, but, dare it say it, something I could've rustled up at home. My mother's Whitby crab was beautifully presented and my father's Brie looked good. But neither of them raved about the taste or flavour.

I ordered roast grouse as a main course as I'd seen someone eating a healthy portion in the bar. When it arrived, I wondered if some meat was missing; there was a tiny amount of breast, a wing and small leg, and lots of white space on the plate. At £26 for a main course, and as a Yorkshire woman, I expected to go home feeling well satisfied. The fruit and nut pancake and baked apple that accompanied it tasted exquisite, but were also small. I felt the vegetables, meat and gravy could have benefited from more seasoning. One delightful touch was home made bread served in a flat cap.

My father ordered a 10oz steak and my mother had an omlette for mains. The steak was fine, but on the small side and, although not tough, apparently not as tender as it could've been. The omlette, again, was perfectly OK, but we were hoping for ‘wow’ even if it was a simple egg dish.

We ordered coffees and took them in the Monks room. Served in a cafetiere, the coffee was thin and nowhere as good as espresso machine coffee. It still cost £3.75 each, although the price included chocolate and fudge. I also agree with the reviewer who felt that the piped music was intrusive.

I would go back to The Star although I'd be more inclined to book for dinner. We were told that Andrew Pern was in his restaurant in York that day. Perhaps that had something to do with our experience?

StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. Relieved to get a 4/5 rating, when much wasn't to your liking apart from the "bread basket!" That's how we've done it for the last 17 1/2 yrs and that's how it'll stay, I'm afraid. Apologies AP
Barnsley, United Kingdom
1,136 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,796 helpful votes
“Why no star for The Star, Mr.Michelin??”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary & ate in the restaurant both nights. I must say the whole experience was worth of a Michelin star.
Beautiful dining room, top drawer service from all the staff & wow, the food. We had 4 starters, 4 mains & 1 sweet in total & they were all beautifully presented & delicious. Very good & interesting wine list makes the perfect dining experience.

2 Thank Leedsaway67
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Indeed, let's see if Mr Michelin keeps up with the reviews and with 17 and a half years under our belts, I think we should be getting the hang of it! Many thanks AP