“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I have eaten at this restaurant too many times to remember, and on only one occasion have I been disappointed.  The food is definitely worthy of its Michelin rating although recently I have found the menu to be less varied than I have become accustomed to, perhaps owing to the refurbishment and smaller kitchen??   The staff are always welcoming and efficient and nothing is too much trouble.  All my requests (I add here that I am not fussy!) have always been catered for.  I honestly cannot find fault with The Star, and my disappointment?  That my lamb was served slightly beyond pink.  Something one can live with I feel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimonRN1
There are newer reviews for The Star Inn

Reviewed November 11, 2008

We booked the Star in April after not getting booked in last year ,so we were really looking forward to our visit this month.

We arrived around 5pm to be taken to a beautifull cottage the fires were lite music playing .
It was so romantic and tastfully decorated with a superb hamper and a fridge full of food.eggs smoked salmon bacon choclates.....

We arrived at the Star about 8.15pm for pre- drinks very cosy warm bar .....pity the head guy behind the bar was not as warm and welcoming he was very matter of fact to the point of being rude !!! When we eventually had out order taken we were then
rushed off to a table .

We didnt really get to taste the wine it was just quickly poured before rushing off no smile or greeting .
I had the foie gras and black pudding there was enough black pudding to servce the other tables surley this should of been deliactley placed with the foie gras which didnt taste the best .The waiter took the plate away but no mention of why the food was not touched
And it got worse the main couse had so much liver and bacon just thrown on the plate it was hard to decide what it was i searched throught he mass of food for bubble and squeek but decided it definatly was not there !!!!
Both meals and the veg were stone cold so we sent the back with a very unhappy waiter and ordred extra mash as there was no bubble and squeek to be found !!!!
We delined desert as we just wanted to go back to our nice cosy cottage ..we had a nice grunt from Elliot behind the bar as we left !!!
At 6 am i woke to be violently sick ,and we were both ill the following day .
Not sure how it is so popular and certainly should not have a mitcheln star !!!!

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank yvon-8
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed in the Garden Shed for 1 night on the 7th February for my husbands birthday. It is a drive away from the main building and restaurant, you could walk but it is very dark and earie. The Garden Shed is lovely, it has a kitchen dining area, a bathroom with corner bath and a nice bedroom, very luxurious! It was £130 for B & B but you have to make your own breakfast as I said before because it is away from the main buldings however this suited us better as we could have it at our leisure. They leave you sausage, bacon, eggs, black pud, cereal, milk, juices.....you name it and it is all fresh local produce. There is also a hamper which included cakes for afternoon teas and also chocolate bars. I couldn't fault anything about the accommodation at all but I would choose to stay in a different part of the Inn just to get a different experience. The only down side is it is a struggele to get a weekend date and to get a mid week date you have to book well in advance as it is so popular.

We ate at the Michelin Star restaurant, it was 'ok' but we have eaten at better places which aren't accredited with any Michelin Starts, perhaps we made wrong menu choices.....

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Had to book 6 months in advance to get our anniversary date. Chose Black Eagle Cottage. Due mainly to having the privacy we wanted and not sharing the sitting room as with Croft house, which, as stated in other reviews, can cause problems if there is a party of friends who want to carry on their party in the communal sitting room.

Having said that, Black Eagle Cottage was delightful. The provisions for breakfast were more than adequate. Nice touch with a lovely biscuit saying "Night,Night" on it left on our pillow as we ate in the superb restaurant.

The food was amazing. My husband actually lost the power of speech on the fish course and only muttered the occasional "This is so good"

Hope to return soon, if not for an overnight stay, for lunch at least.

Anne & Richard
North Yorkshire

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2008

me&my husband stayed in room 4 it is the smallest of the rooms but very nice&stylish what a gorgeous hotel attention to detail is fantastic candles everywhere all the time including at breakfast a very romantic special unique place BUT our room overlooked the lounge &at midnight a group of people came back been very loud we went down to ask them to be quiet but nothing changed we didnt get to sleep until 4 am so that spoiled our stay we tried to phone reception which just rang downstairs as there was no one downstairs then tried to phone the owners home no which was given if there was an emergency but no joy something needs to be in place in case of situations like this as it could of got very nasty as my husband wanted to go mental at them and we ate in the restaurant which was lovely but very suprised it has a mitchalin star and it does need major updating so overall was a little disapointed with the restaurant the hotel gorgeous would go back but in a quieter room probably 7 0r 8

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank mozmoore
Reviewed July 26, 2008

we have stayed at the star inn around 7-8 times - in cross house lodge and black eagle cottage - up to now we have always been delighted with our stay. this time was different and we noticed lots of subtle changes.

we missed in particular, the patrolling presence of mrs pern and her attention to detail: as if the empire, having been built, is now in the hands of less enthusiastic others.

we enjoyed a drink in the bar and specifically told the waitress we wanted to spend at least half an hour before moving to our table. she called us through 5 minutes later and our starter and main course had both been served within half an hour! our evening was over, it seemed,before it had even begun.

the food was ok but very average and the main course was positively bland and boring - not worth the money. in particular we noticed our room was shabby and in need of refurbishment: scuffed wall paper, tatty carpet, shower doors not moving easily / coming off hinges to reveal less than clean grooves! bathroom corners definitely needed attention to detail - wouldn't have passed mrs pern's inspection! not worth the money.

breakfast in the wheelhouse ok but again, attention to detail. nice waitress but bit dizzy: i asked for coffee with my breakfast-it came straight away and went cold. we have always been automatically served a basket of toast in the past but this was not forthcoming this time. by the time we realised we had to ask for it, our breakfasts had arrived and we were left waiting ages (how long does it take to produce a basket of toast?). chipped crockery too.

all in all a disappointment from start to finish and not worth the £300 bill at the end - time to look for pastures new. as my husband said: the perns have built their empire and are clearly taking a back seat.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My boyfriend manged to book a room thankkfully due to a last minute cancelation, as I have recommend this to friends since and they've been full up for weeks in advance.

We stayed in the room which had the mini pool table in it. The room was jaw droppingly beautiful, I've never seen so much attention to detail, they had thought of everything! The bathroom was immaculate and very spacious - couldnt fault any part of the weekend.

The pictures on the website dont do it justice. We ate in the bar on Saturday evening, making sure we arrived as the pub opened as we had been warned it got very busy later on which it did! The weekend was perfect and will definitely be remembered as one of the most romantic getaways we have been on
We especially liked the idea of the honesty bar back over in the barn, the lounge was a perfect place to come back to when the pub got too busy and a game of pool in the room was a great way to end the evening ( however some of the pockets had holes in them, so apologies to the room below!)

Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
The Black Swan Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby
The Talbot Hotel Malton
The Grand Hotel & Spa

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!