“Beautiful location and buildings”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
Leeds
“Beautiful location and buildings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We’ve wanted to visit the Star Inn for years, but life just got in the way! Eventually we booked in for the first weekend in Jan and our only regret was that we didn’t do it years ago.

The Cross House Lodge (accommodation just over the road from the pub/restaurant is just beautiful. Exactly how I would want my country home to look (if I am ever lucky enough to get one!). The lounge area is filled with comfy sofas and armchairs, quiet corners and a warming fire. The beams and little nooks and crannies give it so much character. Upstairs from the lounge are the rooms. Ours was room 2, which someone has previously described on here as ‘small’. They must have a palatial bedroom at home, because this isn’t a small room. OK, it’s not enormous, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as small, or ‘cosy’. Plenty big enough, with old wooden furniture and all the little touches you hope for but often don’t get; tea and coffee, fizzy pop, chocolate, homemade biscuits, Molton Brown miniatures, fluffy towels, bathrobes, stereo, dvd player, comfy bed…the list goes on. We were particularly pleased with the spa bath, perfect for a relaxing soak before dinner. Arriving at 5.30pm we just made it in time to polish off the complementary cakes in the kitchen. And we were glad we did, the scone was the lightest scone I have ever sampled.

After pampering ourselves in the lovely slate tiled bathroom (huge by the way, but only has a handheld shower) we ventured over the road to the Star Inn for a drink in the pub before dinner. A good mix of locals and diners gave the bar a friendly, cosy, discreet kind of atmosphere. Lots of lovely little corners to sit in. The pub is enchanting. Incredibly pretty and just like old country pubs used to before interior designers brought in bright fabrics and wooden boarding everywhere!

On the evening we were there (a Friday) the hotel was fully booked and the restaurant seemed pretty full too. We were able to choose from the market menu (a pre selected starter, main and pudding for a great value £25 (I think)) or the a la carte. We chose a la carte to take full advantage of the large menu. For starters I chose the smoked salmon and my husband had the carpaccio. It must have been good as he didn’t pass any over for me to taste. The salmon was delicious, served with blinis and shredded cucumber. A pretty large portion, even for me. 2 types of homemade bread were served in a flat cap, cute, complete with very soft butter on a slate platter, perfect.

For mains I selected the Ox Cheek and husband went for the Piglet. The Ox Cheek was melt in the mouth delicious, served with mash, carrots and gravy. The piglet was equally yummy. Both came with extra vegetables which we hadn’t realised upon ordering. A tasty mix of green veg and 2 potato boats. The boats were too well done to be honest, I do like a crunchy jacket skin but this was quite difficult to get your knife through.

We were already quite full, but really wanted to try pudding, so went for the apple crumble. Served in a mini copper pan it looked and tasted amazing, but was a bit tricky to eat without spilling it everywhere.

We opted to take coffee upstairs to the loft, which is a warren of small rooms/areas complete with comfy seating and low beams. Very atmospheric, quiet and romantic. It is directly above the pub area so you do hear the odd roar of laughter, which for us only added to the feeling of privacy. Coffee comes served with a piece of fudge, chocolate log and biscotti.

Throughout the service was prompt, efficient and not intrusive.

After coffee we wandered back over the road to the lodge and enjoyed a drink from the honesty bar seated in the lounge. It was quite late by this time and was deserted and quite dark.

Breakfast seated around the large round table was wonderful. You can choose from self service cereals, pastries, meats, juices and order a hot breakfast cooked to order. It was delicious but we soon realised we were still pretty full from our meal the evening before.

We’ve visited a couple of Michelin star restaurant/hotels previously and whilst I would suggest the food at the Star Inn is possibly the best pub food you will ever find, it is not quite as ‘fancy’ (miniature portions and very unusual combos) as that we have experienced elsewhere. That said we would prefer to come back here above the others as we found the whole atmosphere warm and friendly, not stuffy or pompous at all and we just loved the setting and the buildings. Overall the experience suits us better; more relaxed, but still luxurious.

I am certain we will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Pocklington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Have eaten here many times and the food and service has always been excellent quality and deserves its Michelin status. It just a shame due to its popularity you have to book well in advance to secure a table in the restaurant as dining in the bar area is a little too claustrophobic for me personally. I would thoroughly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
For a restaurant, being busy is a good problem to have!!! Actually, it's only Saturdays when we are full normally; you can always try in case we get cancellations too? Very many thanks AP
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Had a romantic break at the Star Inn and we weren't disappointed. Unique Hotel, Inn and Restaurant in beautiful thatched village in Yorkshire. Each room individually designed and a marvellous breakfast room. Gorgeous vistas. Excellent food. Family run by very welcoming. Discreet service with everything one could wish for. Had a marvellous time.

Room Tip: Each room is individual so you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lesley3088
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

When you return to somewhere that you have previously had a great stay, you run the risk that the magic may have lost some of its sparkle. The Star Inn was still just as good and so was the food in the pub and the warm welcome. It is every bit as goo as all the reports say it is. So congratulations to all the team.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Fortunately with work,as a wee treat, I get an experience, each quarter, to treat myself to. And this time round, I chose The Star. I brought with me my girlfriend (saturday 28th december). We had lunch, stayed overnight (room 9) and also had dinner.

I myself work within the industry, I am a Food & Beverage Manager for a large UK hotel brand and since graduating at University, the whole foodie scene has hit my heart.

I have to say it, I found The Star absoluetely enchanting. A truly magnificent experience. The bar (the pub side of the dining experience) is like a film set. It is as if you had to design the perfect country pub! Good ales are on offer (the only thing that really interests me!) and my girlfriend went down the wine list. Slowly but surely.

The restaurant was truly wonderful. We both had six courses over the two meals - got to say, my favourite was the ox cheek, whilst my girlfriend loved the goose starter - she had it twice. All is fantastically well priced. The staff were attentitive, yet stand off ish. Just how I like it. Nothing potentious. We drank the night away (my girlfriend goes for the wine, but it was very well priced, cheaper than my hotel!), had a few in the bar, and then finished up at the honesty bar back in the accommodation quarters (this was so quaint, absolutely wonderful idea).

The accommodation was brilliant. The room was massive, which justified its nightly rate, and was cosy and beautifully designed (it also had a sofa bed, next time I am bringing mates!). Whilst the chill out sofa areas are brilliant (we were in a drunken snooze on the sofas by this point!)

Overall, a truly fantastic experience. I'll be back. I have one more quarter to treat myself from work and well, why not go back to where I had a terrific time. Only downside was forgetting to buy the chefs book, but i'm sure I can pick that up online..

I understand the importance of TripAdvisor from working in hotels, hence why I felt it of such great importance to pass on my experience. Readers, it is as simple as this - book into The Star!

Joseph.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph H
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Wow, cheers for that - it seems you've got what we are all about! Many thanks, we"ll have to change the wine list again if your girlfriend has tried them all!! (Joke!) It's a great place to eat drink and be merry; see you next quarter! AP
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We arrived and stayed in a beautiful room the night before the wedding my kids loved the jacuzzi bath! We were looked after brilliantly by the staff and had a wonderful meal for 40. Beautiful place beautiful setting for a wedding

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank m0phie
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Perfect and thank you! And a very good excuse to get the kids to have a bath (although quite expensive to bring them here every time they need a wash!) Regards AP
Notts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Booked as a treat for a Saturday night - it's not cheap!!. Location lovely, pub is across the road from accommodation. Room was beautiful, spa bath (but no shower), huge comfy bed, piano if you fancy a tinkle!!. Nice touches like proper milk for tea and coffee, home made biscuits, bottled water. Staff come in and turn down your bed whilst you're at dinner - when we came back we found someone else's clothes in the bathroom - bit strange!!! We reported it when we booked out but they didn't seem overly concerned which was a bit disappointing. The comfy seating area was very relaxing, real fire, honesty bar and cheese, crackers, grapes, little pastries to help yourselves too - and the most delicious rhubarb liquor.

The food was very good - the pub was rammed!! Would have been nice if they could have a few more handpulled real ales on. Great selection of wine for dinner. I think this pub had a Michelin star but not sure if it still has - certainly expert chefs tho and not too formal.

Breakfast was on the accommodation side - everyone who stays gets served around a large round table which could be a bit intimate for some. Took a while to get the food and it was ok, but not the best cooked breakfast I've had (sausages were under-done) and for the price I expected it to be perfect.

The place is clearly very popular and I can see why. The atmosphere was lovely - not at all pretentious but high class stuff!! It's a shame I can't give it the full 5 stars but I really didn't want to find someone else's underwear in my bathroom!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulesNotts
Sorry about the underwear; not sure why someone had tried to hide it but we should have found it first. Glad you enjoyed everything else! Regards AP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
The Black Swan Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 4 in Helmsley
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!