“Magical.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Magical.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Fortunately with work,as a wee treat, I get an experience, each quarter, to treat myself to. And this time round, I chose The Star. I brought with me my girlfriend (saturday 28th december). We had lunch, stayed overnight (room 9) and also had dinner.

I myself work within the industry, I am a Food & Beverage Manager for a large UK hotel brand and since graduating at University, the whole foodie scene has hit my heart.

I have to say it, I found The Star absoluetely enchanting. A truly magnificent experience. The bar (the pub side of the dining experience) is like a film set. It is as if you had to design the perfect country pub! Good ales are on offer (the only thing that really interests me!) and my girlfriend went down the wine list. Slowly but surely.

The restaurant was truly wonderful. We both had six courses over the two meals - got to say, my favourite was the ox cheek, whilst my girlfriend loved the goose starter - she had it twice. All is fantastically well priced. The staff were attentitive, yet stand off ish. Just how I like it. Nothing potentious. We drank the night away (my girlfriend goes for the wine, but it was very well priced, cheaper than my hotel!), had a few in the bar, and then finished up at the honesty bar back in the accommodation quarters (this was so quaint, absolutely wonderful idea).

The accommodation was brilliant. The room was massive, which justified its nightly rate, and was cosy and beautifully designed (it also had a sofa bed, next time I am bringing mates!). Whilst the chill out sofa areas are brilliant (we were in a drunken snooze on the sofas by this point!)

Overall, a truly fantastic experience. I'll be back. I have one more quarter to treat myself from work and well, why not go back to where I had a terrific time. Only downside was forgetting to buy the chefs book, but i'm sure I can pick that up online..

I understand the importance of TripAdvisor from working in hotels, hence why I felt it of such great importance to pass on my experience. Readers, it is as simple as this - book into The Star!

Joseph.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph H
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Wow, cheers for that - it seems you've got what we are all about! Many thanks, we"ll have to change the wine list again if your girlfriend has tried them all!! (Joke!) It's a great place to eat drink and be merry; see you next quarter! AP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We arrived and stayed in a beautiful room the night before the wedding my kids loved the jacuzzi bath! We were looked after brilliantly by the staff and had a wonderful meal for 40. Beautiful place beautiful setting for a wedding

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank m0phie
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Perfect and thank you! And a very good excuse to get the kids to have a bath (although quite expensive to bring them here every time they need a wash!) Regards AP
Notts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Booked as a treat for a Saturday night - it's not cheap!!. Location lovely, pub is across the road from accommodation. Room was beautiful, spa bath (but no shower), huge comfy bed, piano if you fancy a tinkle!!. Nice touches like proper milk for tea and coffee, home made biscuits, bottled water. Staff come in and turn down your bed whilst you're at dinner - when we came back we found someone else's clothes in the bathroom - bit strange!!! We reported it when we booked out but they didn't seem overly concerned which was a bit disappointing. The comfy seating area was very relaxing, real fire, honesty bar and cheese, crackers, grapes, little pastries to help yourselves too - and the most delicious rhubarb liquor.

The food was very good - the pub was rammed!! Would have been nice if they could have a few more handpulled real ales on. Great selection of wine for dinner. I think this pub had a Michelin star but not sure if it still has - certainly expert chefs tho and not too formal.

Breakfast was on the accommodation side - everyone who stays gets served around a large round table which could be a bit intimate for some. Took a while to get the food and it was ok, but not the best cooked breakfast I've had (sausages were under-done) and for the price I expected it to be perfect.

The place is clearly very popular and I can see why. The atmosphere was lovely - not at all pretentious but high class stuff!! It's a shame I can't give it the full 5 stars but I really didn't want to find someone else's underwear in my bathroom!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulesNotts
Sorry about the underwear; not sure why someone had tried to hide it but we should have found it first. Glad you enjoyed everything else! Regards AP
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here this weekend and had an absolutely lovely stay - friendly and welcoming staff, afternoon nibbles to help ourselves to, a roaring fire to warm up by and a wonderful bedroom (room 1). The bath at the end of the bed was absolute bliss! The bed was a little harder than I'd like, but that's just personal taste. Loved flicking through the books on the bedside table. Breakfast was absolutely delicious, and served in the most beautiful setting. One and only criticism would be that I would have expected a slightly "fancier" shower in this kind of place - not that the one there didn't do the job!!!! Very pleasant to have the lounge (complete with honesty bar) to go and relax in after our delicious evening meal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Layla047
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Excellent, thanks. A good place to relax before and after your 'feast' reviewed separately. Cheers AP
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

This place is so magical. It appears to be a thatched pub in the middle of Harome near Helmsley but is much more than that. When first entering you are met with low beams, a crackling log fire and a lovelly cosy little bar. We were warmly welcomed and asked if we wanted a drink in the pub before going through for dinner. Having ordered our choices we were taken through to the 'old' restaurant where we were seated next to another crackling fire. The atmosphere was all we had hoped for with wooden tables, low beams, wooden floor boards covered by a large rug and an eclectic mix of artwork on the walls. Our meal was beautifully cooked although the food is extremely rich and we failed to finish our main courses for this reason. Upstairs is a very cosy private dining room set in the thatch along with an even cosier lounge where you can have coffee after dinner. The back garden was beautifully designed for summer barbecues. They also have rooms in a neighbouring property which are all highly unique ie a billiard table in one room.
All in all a wonderfully romantic evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrbowls
A real gem, indeed, especially at this time of year with all the fires lit to add to the warmth of the hospitality. Thank you for your comments and hope you'll stay for a game of billiards next time! Cheers AP.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Been our fourth visit and stay at the Star, you could say we are a big fan of the place!
Rooms are so comfortable and well appointed, very homely.
The food and service are amazing, heaps of local ingredients superbly cooked and presented with some very well thought out dishes.
The staff are very attentive and so polite, if anybody wants to see how it's done properly then these guys are the ones to watch!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Excellent - keep watching!!! Very kind,thank you and I'm glad was all to your liking. Hope to see you on the 5th visit? All the best AP
Coleford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We vist the star every 2-3 Months as we live in Gloucester and been going there since 2005, really can't understand why this places has not got the Michelin back, we got two pubs local to us both awarded michelin star and the STAR Harome cooking and execution of dishes outshine both .

Service was so good again, Thank u: We have two young boys and always the staff are so good, The food amazing as normal , belly of lamb and sole , Would love to see the miniatures desserts back, aslo a couple years back they done a assiette of chocolate £10.00, one of the best desserts ever.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Brill, thank you. Why not write to Michelin and tell them of your thoughts? Baffles us too! (I'll do you a taste/ chocolate indulgence!) Cheers AP.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
The Black Swan Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,900 reviews
The Worsley Arms Hotel
The Worsley Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hovingham

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!