“Couldn't resist”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stay at the Star fairly frequently, but on this occasion had resisted and decided to try somewhere new in Helmsley.
The second and final night our resistance broke, and we hightailed to the Star.
We were warmly welcomed and it wasn't long before Eve had us comfortably stationed at a lovely table in the bar.
Usual brilliant standard, usual friendly welcome.
A word of advice, don't resist just book, it is a truly superb place.
Good look to Steve doing what he's doing in Robin Hoods Bay

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MilesHinch
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hightail it back as soon as you like. There's only one Star Inn - I give in to it daily! Cheers AP

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stated for one night and dined too. We have friends who stay and dine at The Star regularly and as this was a special occasion we thought we would give it a try. We were not disappointed in the slightest. The accommodation (room 6) was lovely. The only thing that could have made it better for me personally would have been the option to have some fresh air (it has two French doors and no small opening lights) I am certain that if I had had the forethought to ask then they would have suggested a different room. The staff were welcoming, polite and well presented. There is an honesty bar in the afternoon and some canapés. Both welcome on a relaxing afternoon. Dinner was superb and one comment I noticed previously was that some o the food was salty. I do not salt food when cooking or dining and I am quite sensitive to salt in food, but I can say with complete honesty that my food was not over seasoned. The guinea fowl was tender and flavoursome. Desert was a rhubarb eaton mess and that was a delight. Breakfast was another great experience. All in all I cannot fault The Star and I would certainly stay and dine there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PamelaBray
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Great to hear that you enjoyed spending your 'special occasion' with us and for all your kind comments. We like to think that all visits to The Star are a special occasion, so hope you can think of an excuse to come again soon. See you next time! AP

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We dined in the restaurant on a warm, sunny Saturday evening anticipating a special meal after reading the enthusiastic reviews and were not disappointed.

The attention to detail with both the food and service were first class as were the menu choices. As we were touring the area in our campervan we did not experience the accommodation but everything we tried ticked all the right boxes- well done!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trafalgarman

Thank you very much - can we take credit for the weather too? When the sun shines on The Star, it's an extra treat - and it's certainly making our kitchen garden produce grow! Many thanks. AP

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the star for our wedding anniv and it was perfect. The room was lovely the only downside was the noisy people in the room above who kept us awake a lot! I would recommend asking for a first floor room as its an old creaky building
Breakfast was lovely it was all perfect :))))

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank anniepankles
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thanks very much! AP

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having read a lot about this restaurant I was hugely disappointed when I dined here. The food was not that good - If your going to shout about how good you are, deliver the goods please. Very very over rated - sorry!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bee T

Having read one of your other 3 reviews written on the same day (2 for London restaurants), we feel we got off lightly! Regards AP

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Myself, my partner and our 15 month old daughter visited the star on Saturday for lunch. We were camping in nearby husthwaite and decided to treat ourselves.
We have previously visited the star and stayed over just as a couple and thoroughly enjoyed it then too.
I am always a little nervous at taking our daughter to such nice places in case we disturb other diners etc. however, we love good food and we want her to also appreciate this so we do tend to bring her along where possible.
The star has a great children's menu - no chicken nuggets in sight! She enjoyed a 3 course lunch of Wensleydale wedges & crudités, pea & ham rissotto and ice cream. The staff were lovely with her and didn't rush us at all.
We also had amazing food. I had sardines to start with, halibut with a truffle rissotto for main and one of the nicest desserts I have ever tasted, the apple rice pudding with a cinnamon doughnut! Yummy!
My partner had the mussels and then the beer fed dexter beef shin, fillet and tongue. He said that the beef dish was one of the best main courses he has ever tasted. I think he was in food heaven.
We ate our desserts in the garden so that the little one could roam for a while and it was nice to see the kitchen staff in and out of the fruit/vegetable garden picking the homegrown produce to serve.
Another thing I must not forget to mention was the chorizo and cheddar bread. Absolutely fantastically tasty!
We had an outstanding meal and found the place very family friendly.
Hopefully we will return soon for our 3rd visit!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lolly101
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Wow - how about that! All those dishes are superb, although I am slightly biased! I'm pleased you enjoyed your visit with the new member of the family; maybe it'll be a table of 4 next time!!!Many thanks AP

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed the experience. Clean, comfortable rooms, cooperative staff, beautiful little town... pretty inn with thatched roofed bar and restaurant. The biggest disappointment was the meal, which had so much salt on it that one could only taste the salt... in fact it was so terrible and we had to leave it after only two bites (though we were still charged for it). Since they also own the Pheasant (the other place to eat in Harome), we ate the rest of the meals in the town of Helmsley. Breakfasts are wonderful around the huge round table. This place has a reputation for food, so either the Brits like tons of salt, or someone had dropped the whole container on our one meal.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Surely if the meal was too salty you could have said something during your meal when our front of house staff checked that everything was satisfactory? The Inn has indeed a good reputation for the grub and we take pride in maintaining high standards. Hopefully, your experience was a one-off, although not to be taken with a pinch of salt I think....Regards AP.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
#1 of 1 in Ravenscar
The Parisi Hotel
The Parisi Hotel
#1 of 47 in York

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!