“An unbelievable meal and atmosphere”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were warned that the restaurant is usually booked out so we got there early to eat in the bar - what great fun - for we Aussies the ancient inn with beams and stone floor was just fantastic - we were so welcomed by a lovely lady behind the bar. Then the meal - it was unbelievable - Rob had the roast beef with Yorkshire pud and I had the venison which also included a tiny venison pie in a little copper pot. The sticky date pudding is EXACTLY that - the toffee is still warm from the tiny little cast iron pot it is served in and then turns to toffee on your spoon and in your mouth. I am still on a high ! Then at the suggestion of staff we took coffee in the "coffee lounge" - upstairs, mind your head and what atmosphere - we loved it !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Excellent, thank you! (I was the guy outside who suggested going up to the coffee loft, from Captain Cook's country... Whitby!) I'm glad everything was memorable and hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! All the best AP.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have been to the star at harome many times and every time is equally as special . Last night the food was superb , ambience great and even their own beer went down a treat . Every time we go to the star we are made to feel very welcome . Andrew and Suzanne thoroughly deserve the great reviews they get as it really takes a lot to balance the great food and atmosphere without it being pretentious

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

That's great to hear: repeat customers who like us a lot! Not sure who Suzanne is, but I'm still here 17 years down the line! Cheers AP

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the beautiful Star Inn, Harome last night as a group of 11 and had a really fabulous time. From the moment we arrived in Cross House Lodge we all felt thoroughly pampered, it is a very special place to celebrate with friends in amazing surroundings. The food is out of this world and the rooms are absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to return again in a few weeks!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Brilliant and thank you very much! The Lodge is indeed a great place to celebrate. Thank you again for your wonderful comments and see you soon! AP

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband booked a night here, the only time he ever booked anything and kept it a secret from me. We needed to relax and we did relax completely. The Lodge was superb, room two was very comfortable and although not a large room was an adequate size for us, very clean and the bed was perfect. We spent time relaxing in the lounge in front of the wood burner, reading and drinking schnapps, bliss. We are not 'foodies' we just know what we like and the food was amazing, venry much to our taste, my only regret is that I was so full I could only manage the starter and main courses! Next time I will up my game and will manage all three! Thank you to all the staff, all the staff we came into contact with we're attentive and polite, also a thank you to Andrew Pern for signing the book we purchased.

Room Tip: Read the website as all the rooms are different.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Belated Happy Anniversary and well done to your husband; he has exceptional taste! Perhaps you should let him book your hols more often! Enjoy the book, hopefully it won't be 25 more years before we see you again! Congratulations from all at The Star Inn - we'll raise a glass of rhubarb schnapps to you! Cheers AP

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We visited the Star Inn recently as a birthday treat for my boyfriend and it was absolutely fabulous! We stayed the night at the inn and everything was perfect. The rooms were beautiful, the service was excellent and the food in the restaurant was out of this world. Andrew Pern much deserves all of his accolades; it is definitely the best meal I have had for a long time and intend to visit again very soon!

Room Tip: Room six is gorgeous!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Just back from a fantastic 2 night break here at the Star. Its absolutely perfect, the room (number 8) was delightful, complete with outside seating area so we could sip our wine in the evening sunshine. We ate both nights in the pub/restaurant and were blown away by the quality of the menu and the cooking was just superb, the market menu was really good value too.
Just to mention, the restaurant service was wonderful and really helpful with explanations of the dishes on the various menus.
If you are considering staying here, do it, you wont regret it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Brilliant. I always like to hear that people have enjoyed the all round experience: food, service and accommodation - and thank you for bringing the sunshine with you... Hurry back! Cheers AP

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went to the Star on Bank Holiday Monday to celebrate me being offered a new job, (go me!)
When we arrived we got some drinks from the bar and went to sit in the lovely gardens to the rear of the restaurant, we arrived at 5 and the restaurant opened at 6 and there were already around 30 people in the gardens, some waiting for dinner and a couple still winding up after lunch!
We ordered in the garden and were given a little treat from the chefs in the form a couple of little cheese straws, a few minutes were invited to our table in the "old dining room" which I found to have a lovely ambience, not too formal with a nice little specials board featuring the weekends fresh seafood, lots of quirky photos and trinkets like champagne botttles and labels on the roof and a beautifully set table.
I opted for the Venison Minestrone, which arrived with a little tea pot of a delicious meaty stock, some of it was poured in by the waitress and the rest left for me to fill up very soon after, the content of the bowl was a finely diced root vegetable, fresh herbs, venison meatballs and finely sliced truffle, more than I've ever eaten in one sitting it was amazing!
My Fiancee decided on the Black Pudding and Foie Gras which was wonderful, a staple of the Star Inn, and perfectly executed (one of us had to have it!)
As the completely demolished starters were cleared our intermediate taster course of Parmesan and Truffle Risotto arrived (which was topped with what I think was a fried Pheasant egg) again - fresh truffle and a parmesan crisp, warming and delicious!
In perfect time our mains arrived, I ordered Lamb which was sliced thinly and pink with a vibrant root vegetable puree, a little lamb stew, braised celery and glazed shallots, it was perfect!
My Fiancee ordered the "Loose Birds Chicken" which was beautifully presented and came in many different forms! a little terrine, pate, braised leg and impeccably rolled breast cooked to perfection.
The mains arrived with a little bowl of steaming hot vegetables, duck fat roast potatoes crispy as they should be, broccoli, leeks and cauliflower smothered in a lovely hollandaise sauce!
My only criticisms of the meal are that it had to end and that the portions were representative of Yorkshire hospitality which made me unable to manage a dessert!
We ordered some speciality teas and we were guided up to the "loft" to relax after the meal, it was a lovely ambience and a great way to end the evening, clearly the chocolates were homemade, white chocolate fudge, dark chocolate mini truffle "sticks" and crisp macaroons.
Even the tea was great, it came in an infusion style cast iron tea pot and a little timer that tells you when its perfectly brewed.
I must add the waiting on staff were very knowledgeable and efficient, hats off to them!
In summary it was a fantastic meal and a great restaurant to go to celebrate a special occasion, a real treat!
I can't wait for my next opportunity to go and eat at the Star,only I'll be booking us a room next time!

Room Tip: Take your after dinner drinks in the loft :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Tres Bien! Excellent news that all was to your liking on such a momentous occasion! Indeed, we were very busy over the weekend - the sunshine brought out the visitors as well as the flowers.

All the dishes are from the old 'Harome Hall of Fame' and, if not, they soon will be! The staff are the 'face' of The Star, so it's great to hear you found them very knowledgeable and doing such a good job - and also to hear that all of the ancillary bits: veg, petit fours, etc are up to scratch. All good. Many thanks and don't forget we do weddings! Cheers AP

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
#1 of 2 in Goathland
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!