“Good - could be better”

Pheasant Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Harome
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Good - could be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Pheasant for 3 nights at a rate which included dinner on two nights and breakfast on three.

The dining room is lovely, in muted shades of grey/green with an elaborate flower display in the centre. Sadly, realistic as it looks, it's artificial. This does not quite set the tone for an aspiring high-end restaurant. If I'm paying this much I want real food and real flowers. It's also got quite loud piped music; from memory mostly Swing, Jazz and Lounge. I find it odious and nothing to do with enjoying a meal. Do most diners like it?

Service was (mostly) enthusiastic from young staff, a mixture of local and Eastern European men and women. However, on one evening our waiter was more engaged by the only other couple in the restaurant and we were left to pour our own wine. It is acceptable in a bistro but at these prices it is not.

Several dishes were outstanding. The cannelloni of crab and cucumber was wonderfully fresh and tasty. The roast sirloin was excellent. The salmon was served with salmon skin crackling - an interesting invention. The lemon thyme pannacotta was delicious and, interestingly made without gelatine.

The wine list is interesting and arranged not by region or by grape variety but by price, with a page of whites and another of reds. This is followed by pages of more detailed description of each wine. There are some lovely wines here. Mark-ups are what you would expect from a fine-dining restaurant.

Tea, taken in the bar, was a big disappointment. Service was slow. One scone each. I was expecting plain scones but they were fruit scones and very overcooked - closer to rock cakes than scones. There were three tiny "cakes" each. One was a strawberry/lemon curd tart, pleasant but not a cake. The other two were very chocolatty but neither was a cake in consistency. A slice of Victoria sponge would have gone down well. For £16:99 a head there was a choice of filling of one sandwich each. One of us had smoked salmon and cream cheese, the other has Wensydale cheese and shallot chutney. The sandwiches were cut into quarters (crusts left on) and were on standard, shop-bought sliced bread. For some reason each had some sort of frisée leaves mixed in with the rest of the filling. The smoked salmon was nothing special but the addition of the leaves made it unpleasant. Some went back uneaten. I had been expecting a slice (or slices) of cheese with chutney on them. What I got was an unpleasant mixture of grated cheese, chutney and curly salad leaves. This was falling out of the sandwich each time I tried to take a bite - messy. The leaves added nothing. Why grated cheese? Perhaps appropriate for catering use but not for an upmarket hotel.

Give the expensive, unpleasant tea a miss but do eat in the restaurant. Maybe they will ditch the unnecessary canned music in all the public rooms?

• Visited October 2013

Pont-L'Eveque, France
“Delightful lunch overlooking the duck pond”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Pheasant used to be a favourite of my late parents and finding ourselves in the vicinity during a trip to England, my wife and I called in for lunch. The Peasant was just as charming as I remembered and as it happened to be a beautiful day, we enjoyed their excellent lunch outside with charming service. What's happened to the ducks?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Maisonpierre
“Excellent quality cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Hard to find much to criticise really. Friendly, attentive staff. Warm, welcoming, cosy setting. And excellent food. Not cheap by any means, but I didnt mind paying for top quality food.
We each had something different in our lunch party, but each dish was beautifully presented and looked mouth watering. There was a very short wait between being seated in a wonderfully light, airy and comfortable conservatory dining area and receiving the food - which was served piping hot.
Desserts were again pricey, but a feast on the eyes as well as the waistline and tasted delectable!

The nearby Star Inn has a real rival in the quality stakes in my opinion.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Phil N
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Tried the taster menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went to Helmsley for the weekend and stayed in a B&B. Rather than going for a meal in Helmsley we went to the village of Harome. The Star Inn is the better known restaurant in Harome but we thought we would try The Pheasant. We had a drink in the Star Inn in their beer garden. The Pheasant is only a short walk away. The village is very picturesque. A vintage tractor parade went past as we were walking between the two pubs. I really liked the feel of The Pheasant. We had a drink in the lounge area before our meal, which had a very cosy feel to it. The taster menu was very good. It is a while since we went there so I cant detail what we had to eat. By the end of the meal, we thought it would be a good place to have our wedding (if we ever get round to it). The staff were very friendly.

• Visited May 2013
North Yorkshire, England
“The food just didn't sing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had the taster menu recently as a big treat and I hate to say it but we just didn't like the taste of the dishes. The starters weren't savoury enough for us, (especially the gem lettuce one which was more like a dessert) the fish and meat courses had no zing and it wasn't until the desserts arrived that we actually went hmmmm and I am not even a dessert kind of person. It was such a shame as the restaurant/hotel/staff were all fantastic but the food was a big let down. I am no expert (although I do cook tasty food) but they should bother less about presentation and more about taste sensation. I very rarely write low score reviews as I do a lot of research before I go anywhere but I really felt that these reviews needed some balance. Unless of course we were just unlucky and chef was having a bad day.

• Visited September 2013