The Pheasant Hotel
$111
$229
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsduck pondstar innsloe ginplum cottagevillage pondtasting menumarket menucountry hotelswimming poolpre dinner drinksamuse bouchenorth yorkshirecomfy sofasfish piecheese boardmichelin staropen fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were really looking forward to a few relaxing days at this hotel in North Yorkshire. It is a lovely layout and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were given a room that we had selected because we thought (and we had called the hotel in advance to confirm this) that it would have wifi. It didn't! My husband and I both need to be connected for work, family, and entertainment. In this day and age and as cheap as wifi boosters are, I just don't understand ANY hotel that has any internet not being able to provide it for their guests. At any rate, we were able to sit in the lounge and at least check our email. The lounge was very nice and comfortable with a cozy fire. I had my usual g&t with Tanqueray which was a pretty weak affair. We had booked several meals at the hotel but after the first one we cancelled. It just missed the boat at many levels- particularly taste. You can't just arrange textures on a plate and call it 'job done'- the food has to deliver on taste as well. Our room was large with a loveseat for reading and a fridge. The bathroom was okay- huge deep tub without handrails to get in. I heard another couple complaining about this upon checkout and they were told they could have requested a room with handrails! I suggested this info should be on their website. I also overheard there were rooms with showers- as a couple who only take showers I wish I'd known this as well! My 2nd biggest issue with the rooms were the sheets! They were paper thin and nubbly- like they'd been through a thousand washes. In fact my toe ripped the bottom of my sheet on our last night. I just do not understand any hotel using cheap, worn linen. Breakfasts were very good and as we were usually quite early we had a nice table in the conservatory. This hotel doesn't need a lot of improvements- linens, wifi in the bedrooms, better bar tending, handles in the bathtubs, and a chef who understands flavor would all make for a massive improvement.

Room Tip: Ask about wifi if this is important to you. Also ask about rooms with showers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steppingout34
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service, delightful surroundings and most relaxing atmosphere

We chose from the lunchtime menu which was made up of a good range of different foods

The lady serving out table was most pleasant and we received a warm welcome from the receptionist

All in all a delightful visit to the Pheasant at Harome

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John K
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I write this about The Pheasant where we recently stayed for two nights. Reviews are perhaps confused with The Star which is under the same ownership but more a B&B. But see restaurant reviews of The Star.
Our stay was great with one perhaps serious criticism of our room. It was not sound proof and the four poster thing just gave a bed too small.
However staff if a bit quirky just added to the enjoyment.
Breakfast very good as is the restaurant which might merit a Michelin star. Go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Perhaps rooms in the older part less noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fiveducks
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was asked to join 4 friends at the Phesant at Harome for dinner and an overnight stay. Having never been before we thought why not, We started off well with a really great bottle of white wine, which was very reasonabley priced, the staff were all very helpful, happy and patience, you know how women can be when they have not see each other for sometime. We were taken to the dinningroom, and the service was great no attention to detail was left undone. The food was presented well, and tasted great. The rooms were clean large and very comfortable. The only down side was the basket in nibbles in your room were an extra. The breackfast was good too all local produce.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Recently visited with family for lunch, and we decided to return for the evening and stay overnight for dinner. Booked Plum Cottage which was extremely comfortable, well equipped and having its own patio. Luckily the weather was beautiful for October and it was pleasant sitting outside prior to eating.
The meal was good, very good, and service attentive without being overbearing.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we will return for longer next time!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple