“Disappointing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Filey
Downcliffe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Filey
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Having read all the excellent reviews of this establishment and inclined to possibly stay for a short break we decided to have lunch here in late October. I was particularly looking forward to choosing some fresh fish to eat. Unfortunately the crab sandwich was very disappointing, the bread dry and the presentation unappetising.
There was only one other table taken in the dining room and hence no atmosphere.
The service was unprofessional and at one point the waitress asked if I had finished when it was clear that I hadn't ! When I requested some additional salad dressing I was presented with a vinegar bottle which appeared not to have been washed out or cleaned for some considerable time. The café latte was served in an inappropriate cheap looking mug . A very disappointing experience all in all.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Penny C

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just spent the week in our favourite Filey, we come at least 3 times a year and have never been to the Waterside restaurant at Downcliffe house, but for our wedding anniversary I looked into good places to eat and this sounded just the place. We pass the hotel all the time on our stays but never looked into eating here. When we arrived we were greeted in a very friendly manner by Darren, and then looked after by Lizzy who we found out later are the owners. What a fabulously decorated hotel ! So tastefully done and very trendy. The menu has some lovely choices on, my hubby got the prawn starter and I waited for my main as I usually only have one course. Whilst we were waiting we were brought some appetisers of miniature loafs of bread with olives, feta cheese with herbs and olive oil. So tasty and got our taste-buds going. My hubby loved his prawn starter and got plenty of it. I ordered the Ginger pig (belly pork) with the crispiest crackling ever ! My hubby had the rack of lamb. We could not fault any of it, the food came so well presented it looked like Michelin star quality. The food, sauces, and jus were to die for ! Some of the best food we have ever eaten. we have payed a lot more for our food in some places and not got any where near as good quality of service and food. The portions were excellent too, just right. We sat at one of the tables by the window which was lovely but I wish it had been lighter outside so we could of seen the stunning views this place has. Just found out this place is up for sale, who ever gets this is very very lucky, I wish we could afford it ! I wouldn't change a thing and hope the new owners keep this quality up. Can't wait to come again ....wow

Reviewed November 9, 2013

What can I say that others haven't already? I have just spent two nights in this wonderful hotel and am not sure where to start to tell everyone what a lovely time I had. The hotel entrance is so welcoming and homely and once inside the welcome that you are given is amazing. The rooms are all decorated differently and the one that I was in was beautiful.All the rooms are beautifully decorated even the ones with no seaview. I spent ages just sat with my drink in the window watching the tide come in and out. Comfy bed and super clean come to mind regarding the room. Having said that all the hotel is spotless.
I had both breakfast and evening meals which again where superb. Portions are massive and so you won't go hungry.Everything is reasonably priced and as I say you pay for quality and quantity.
The staff are extremely friendly and will help in anyway.
I was in Filey when I was a little girl where my grandparents had a house and it brought back many memories for me. On my last day I walked along the front and it was wonderful.
Thanks Lizzie and Darren for a fabulous time. You are the best!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Called in for lunch on a cold November day and it was excellent served by a very enthusiastic owner .The fresh crab was awesome and the rest of our party enthused about the fresh haddock . It was a shame the menu stated Halibut was not on the menu

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Last time we were here a few years agowe had an excellent lunch after a morning walking on the beach,just had an extremely good crab sandwich,glad to say the quality is still in evidence in this super seafront hotel,you won't go wrong with either a meal or an overnight stay

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife treated me to a Birthday surprise at this hotel this last weekend.

Stayed for just the one night and it was great. Superb food, room and the Manageress was delightful as well as the other staff and her Husband.

The attention to detail and style in the hotel is very high, and its outlook is spectacular.

I can recommend this place to anyone.....all ages.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed at the Downcliffe house hotel last night (2/11/2013) for our anniversary and found the hotel to be excellent . High standard of decor and spotlessly clean , the owners have provided a high class hotel with lots of pleasing extra touches. The restaurant had a lovely atmosphere , a varied menu and all the food we had was delicious and beautifully presented. In a fantastic location with stunning views of the sea this is a little gem of a hotel and all the staff were polite and helpful.

1  Thank 124Nicky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Filey
White Lodge Hotel
#6 of 26 in Scarborough
Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
#22 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Downcliffe House Hotel? Share your experiences!