Downcliffe House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Rivelyn Hotel(Scarborough)
$61
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
$101
$104
Marine Residence(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
$103
$86
All reviewsginger pigmolton brown toiletriesboutique hotelbeautiful hotelsea frontsound of the wavessuperior roomwatching the worldvisited this hotelfiley baysea viewone night staysunday lunchlovely roomvisit fileylittle touchesperfect hosts
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked one night at this hotel for a business trip having read excellent reviews on TA. The room I was given was a good size and clean. Decor was modern (though not to my taste) and the bathroom provided an excellent shower. Towels in the bathroom were clean but lacked that lovely fluffy bounce found with new, little used towels. The downstairs rooms of the hotel and dining area looked very pleasant though I didn't use them. My biggest problem with the hotel is that when I arrived on the evening of my stay I enquired about breakfast and was told it started at 8.30. All hotels I use typically offer breakfast from 7.00 or 7.30 on weekdays and as my business the next day started at 8.00 this meant I would miss breakfast. When I pointed this out I was told there was coffee in the room but no effort was made to try and make amends or meet my needs. For example, I could have been offered a reduction in fee or, better still, an offer could have been made to provide me with cereals, milk, orange juice and maybe a pastry which could have stayed in my room overnight and provided at least some breakfast in the morning. This would certainly have given me the impression that the owners really tried hard to satisfy their customers' needs and had a genuine commitment to service. Alas, this didn't happen - I only got a reduction in fee because I asked for it. My advice to the hotel is, when taking bookings by phone please ask if people are on holiday or business. If business make it clear how late breakfast is before accepting a booking. To business travellers to Filey, I recommend you use the 'All Seasons'. When I arrived at my business meeting at 8.00 another delegate was boasting about the fantastic breakfast he had just had there. Not a good start to my day!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Peter F
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This Hotel is 5 star!!!! The food and the level service is world class. I travel all over the UK and Ireland on business and can honestly say that this is in my top 3 hotels to stay in.
The rooms are of a high quality, modern and extremely clean. The staff are very well presented and very attentive, with nothing being too much trouble, even down to asking for something that is not on the menu, they are more than happy to help.
I am planning on bringing customers here to entertain due to high level of customer service and high quality of the food.

Anyone that does not enjoy this stay at this Hotel, seriously need to travel the UK to experience other 5 star Hotels to really appreciate what the Downcliffe offer!!! 11 out of 10!!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Pleasantly greeted by the 'man of the house', we were immediately made to feel welcome. No laborious grilling as to who we were, parents, password,mother's maiden name, etc.Helped with our luggage up to our top floor room we were delighted with the accommodation and the superb view. A couple more hangers in the wardrobe would have been preferable, but we managed, no big deal, we even forgot to mention it.The decor in the dining room was even better, surpassed only by the quality of food we had when they managed to sqeeze us in on a very busy Easter Saturday night.[thanks very much] and the super breakfast each morning.The hot water from the wash basin tap in the bathroom was a little slow, but it is a very old building and the shower was fine.Probably the thickest ,heaviest quality towels we have used too.Staff very polite and well trained [tho' I personally have a bit of a hang up with ''are you alright there?''] but nearly every other person seems to say it now.Taxi also arranged for us was timeous and cheap.Thanks guys.

Room Tip: If you are an older person, or have mobility problems, the top floor is not for you.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We like our weekends away. This was our second visit to the Downcliffe,it won't be our last. Two couples,Easter Saturday. Sunny,but bitingly cold. Darren and Lizzi warmed us up with their welcome,the other staff are equally friendly and professional. The view is outstanding,o.k it's the east coast and the sea is not blue (or even bluish),but come on its Filey! The rooms are to a very high standard. The restaurant is very good, unusually the four of us had different meals,but they were all excellent. The cheese board nearly gave my friend a heart attack (and may yet). So,if you want to go to Filey (think Whitby without the razzmatazz) this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room11 gets a bath with a view ,but they are all top quality.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Having enjoyed a midweek stay at the Downcliffe I cannot praise it enough Darren, Lizzi and their team instantly make you feel at home. The decor throughout the hotel is beautiful and the room we stayed was very tasteful. The. Food is amazing we were spoilt for choice. Despite the wintery weather we were able to sit on the terrace have a drink and enjoy the fabulous view. Having read previous reviews I'm shocked anyone would consider moving a solid granite table acceptable! We are looking forward visiting again when the weather improves.

2  Thank Alison F