Downcliffe House Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Filey
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Ambassador Hotel(Scarborough)
Weston Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Bar/Lounge
Red Lea Hotel(Scarborough)
Rivelyn Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Pool
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
Marine Residence(Scarborough)
View Hotel
All reviewsginger pigmolton brown toiletriesboutique hotelbeautiful hotelsea frontsound of the wavessuperior roomwatching the worldvisited this hotelfiley baysea viewone night staysunday lunchlovely roomvisit fileylittle touchesperfect hosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband booked a surprise birthday weekend for me at Downcliffe House. Having now returned to read the Tripadvisor reviews, I have to say that I'm really surprised that it only ranks 10th out of B&Bs in Filey (in fact, I wouldn't really describe it as a B&B, it is definitely more of a hotel). We had one of their standard rooms and the decor was lovely, with a brand new bathroom, molten brown toiletries and bathrobes. The bed was large and comfortable and we had a sea view but also lots of privacy. There were only 5 TV channels but who goes on holiday to watch TV anyway!
We ate breakfast and dinner on both days and all were excellent. The portions are huge and beautifully presented. The pudding plate is magnificent (but could probably serve 4 rather than 2)!
The staff work extremely hard and were very efficient. The owners/hosts obviously put a lot of love and attention into designing, decorating and running the hotel.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay in a place that is definitely not your traditional seaside B&B - which is a very good thing! We hope to return soon.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We have eaten lunch on more than 6 occasions this summer, however our experience on Sunday, 23 October was very disappointing, I am sure the Chef was not on duty as my wife and I had 2 very miserable plates of food, in fact my wife came very close to returning her plate to the kitchen. Standards in the restuarant have most definitely slipped since early summer, we will not return

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Nick E
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We spent two nights at Downcliffe and I was a little disappointed given the price of £140 per night and thought it generally lacked value for money. The location is wonderful as it is on the seafront and the view from the bedroom window was stunning. Parking was very easy across the road from the Hotel and free. Despite a hill it is close to shops and restaurants and Filey itself is a gem.
However the trendy, Dali inspired room though very clean looked as if it had been designed by a 5 year old Barbie fan who had eaten too many e numbers. I do realise it's a matter of taste and I am sure many people do like the contemporary feel. However there was only one chair in a double room, no razor socket in the bathroom and a lack of electrical sockets in the bedroom. The hospitality tray was miserly, no biscuits, no drinking chocolate, 3 tea bags, there was a jar of boiled sweets (possibly left by the Barbie fan), but I do like a biscuit. I think given the price tag a little more thought could have been given to comfort.
I did however like the inclusion of bath robes and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was enjoyable and good quality ingredients were used, but the cafetiere only held enough coffee for 2 and a bit cups, again a little mean in my opinion.
Staff seemed rushed and overstretched, but were helpful and pleasant when approached for help.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JeanChippenham
Reviewed October 5, 2011

As we live in Scarborough we have yet to find an excuse to stay overnight in this wonderful Hotel, however this has not stopped us returning on many occasions for lunch, an evening meal or just to sample the delicious home made scones for afternoon tea. Every time, we have been more and more impressed, the fantatic staff and superb suroundings only add to the exceptionally high standard and choice of food. Crisp, white table linen and sparling glasswear............. classy!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed at the Downcliffe for a friend's birthday party and we were really impressed. Very stylish, with great food and very attentive personal service. And Filey was wonderful - hadn't been there before and the hotel is right on the seafront.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends