“Pretty much perfect”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Filey
Downcliffe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Filey
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Beautifully decorated, lovely room, thick carpet, fat towels, lovely quality bedlinen, Bose radio/CD, well-appointed bathroom [Molton Brown toiletries], sea view, excellent breakfast with really good coffee. Great night's sleep, quiet location right on the sea [I don't think there's a brash and noisy area in Filey anyway but the town is up the hill and behind the seafront. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank redhenry

Reviewed May 10, 2011

We got married at Downcliffe House on the 9th of April and we couldn't have picked a better location or hosts. Lizzi and Darren carried out our all instuctions to the letter and the day far exceeded our expectations. It really was the best day of our lives thanks to all the staff working so hard to make the day run smoothly and seamless. The food all weekend was amazing, well presented and hot. The chef put his own interpretation on our chosen wedding menu. The rooms are decorated to a high standard, each one having an individual theme. Everyone was very impressed with their room and the facilities. We were able to make full use of the terrace due to the lovely weather. We can't wait to go back. This hotel is a gem and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: as far as I know most of the rooms have a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2011

There can't be many better small hotels than this in Yorkshire. In fact, there can't be many better in Britain. Right on the sea front in the most beautiful bay on the Yorkshire coast, this is the perfect place for a special treat.
The rooms (I think) all have great sea views across the bay, and have been superbly decorated and furnished. The food is excellent. For breakfast, the choice is huge whether you like the healthy option or full English (or both), and sat eating whilst looking at the sun shining in and the sea looking sparkling was the perfect way to start the day. The standard of cooking doesn't drop with the evening meal either. The choice and quality is excellent, but be warned - they don't do small portions! This is Yorkshire after all, and they serve big!
What makes the dining experience extra special is the service. The staff here are young, very enthusiastic and a pleasure to talk to. A real credit to whoever trains them!
Weve been to lots of hotels, but rarely enjoyed a stay as much as this, although it helps that we love Filey and the weather was great. Can't wait for the next time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Last visited this hotel about 3 years ago and it was good then. It is now even betterin all respects especially the staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VernonBarker
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I booked this short break as a birthday surprise for my very hardworking and lovely partner who generally needs to be ambushed into taking a break from work and overall the experience had the desired effect of enforced relaxation I was looking for given the limited period we could manage to get away. He loved the hotel and the location of Filey was exactly the stress- and lout-free environment we needed. .
The rooms are extremely comfortable, spotlessly clean and although the decor is often a little unique, the owners have clearly put in a huge amount of effort and expense to ensure that they are furnished and equipped to a very high standard. Our room looked out to the beach and despite its location above the main entrance to the hotel, it was very quiet during busy times. We had a wonderfully comfortable nights sleep in a bed we would have been delighted to have taken home with us!
We were met on our arrival by a particular member of the hotel staff who continued to impress us throughout our stay with his wonderful manners and obvious focus for hard work and great service for the guests.........a real credit to the team Jordan.
The restaurant and chef are aspiring to impress which I really like, although I think the hotel website is overstating it's abilities somewhat by making reference to the Michelin standard, something which good head chef in the know would know is simply not the done thing..................a restaurant either has a Michelin star or it doesn't and whilst visitors can easily see how hard this team is trying, it really isn't anywhere near that standard of fine dining.
Overall, we had very comfortable and enjoyable stay and would recommend this hotel to other visitors.
I was already aware of some of the less favorable reviews, when I booked this trip, and was curious as to what the real experience was going to be like.
In short, this hotel is trying really hard to live up to its own vision of excellence and its only real fault is probably a degree of inconsistency of service which it probably isn't aware that it has. During our stay, we observed differing styles of interpersonal skills from the hotel staff..........some were a little dismissive and this could easily be perceived as rudeness. However some really did seem to understand exactly what level was required for different guests and I hope this will be how the hotel continues to operate.
A simple illustration of this type of inconsistency was the differing levels service at breakfast: on the day of our departure I was offered my breakfast tea by being served a tea bag on a side plate which I was clearly expected to construct myself into the required end product. In addition to this, the toast I ordered never materialized.........shame on you blonde girl who couldn't be bothered!........if I'd wanted to squeeze my own tea bag, I could have done this at home.
If the Downcliffe team had displayed a consistent level of politeness and service during our stay to all its visitors, I would have been happy to give it a "perfect" review, but I felt that some of the guests were pretty much ignored, which I thought was a real shame. The owners obviously understand the importance of attention to detail and are desperate for guests to be impressed.
I conclusion, its a great luxury hotel in a lovely seaside resort, which just needs to match the standard of its manners to the quality of its sheets and then it'll be an absolute gem!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dalesgirl123
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Friendly but professional, excellant food, beautiful decor will definately be returning.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have just stayed at the Downcliffe House Hotel with a group of 16 friends celebrating an important birthday. We were met with a very warm welcome and had a wonderful evening. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and so tasty, served by very attentive and polite staff. The rooms were fabulous - we managed to have a peek at most of them, they were all so different! Lizzie and Darren made us feel very welcome and I would highly recommend a stay at this gorgeous little hotel any time!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WELLTRAVELLED0005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Filey
White Lodge Hotel
#5 of 26 in Scarborough
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
#1 of 2 in Goathland

Been to Downcliffe House Hotel? Share your experiences!