“Million times better than Bella Italia”

San Marco Ristorante
Ranked #11 of 92 Restaurants in Filey
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We weren't going to visit here as we were holidaying on a budget so chose Bella Italia for a meal out in Filey due to their excellent reviews. We walked past San Marco and it looked very inviting, we explored the menu and it all sounded lovely. We noticed through the window a 'happy hour' sign pizza / pasta £5.50 adults, £4.20 kids 5-6pm so decided we would try it. I looked into the reviews and read about the 'best ever' steak and onion pizza so we decided to order that, it was delicious. The steak was excellent quality and cooked to perfection. I also read about the 'half size' desserts which are actually called small portions on the menu priced at £2.50. I had pavlova and it was more than enough, the regular portion (@£4.50) must be huge! We also had a lasagne and carbonara which were both really good. It is tastefully decorated has a 'posh' feel, it doesn't have the small 'cafe' like feel that most italian's have. Although I do love trip advisor this is a good example of how wrong the reviews can be. Upon writing these reviews Bella Italia was positioned at no 3 in Filey and San Marco at no 9, completely and these certainly in my experience are not at all a true reflection of the restaurants (sorry bella italia)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I visited this restaurant on a Sunday (early evening) whilst staying in Filey on a weekend away. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor about San Marco and decided to try it. We had booked beforehand as didn't know how busy it would be and on arrival were glad we had based on how busy it was. The initial welcome was not particularly friendly or welcoming but thankfully the service when actually seated at our table was.

Whilst the prices are reasonable and there was a lot of choice on the menu (I can see how the restaurant would be popular with families), we found our food to be disappointingly average/bland. The ingredients within the dishes just didn't seem very high quality or tasty. Unfortunately I wouldn't rush back to this place - sorry!.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

i enjoyed our meal here nice atmosphere it was like a taste of italy needs to be a bit warmer and when you walk in you can smell the freshly cooked meals pretty good

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Enjoyed a couple of visits to the restaurant in the evening, the food and service with excellent at a reasonable price, excellent antipasti dishes and the pizza's went down well with all of us.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Off chance visit . Was 4 adults and three kids age 10,4 and 2. Food , service and value excellent.
Would recommend to anyone visiting or staying nearby.