All reviews sea view filey bay park view public rooms breakfast and evening meal lovely hotel sunday lunch smoked haddock first floor every member of staff one night stay short break nothing too much trouble lounge area lovely room parking space twin room
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed with my elderly father here Wednesday to Saturday in a Sea View room.
The room and hotel is spotlessly clean, My father loved the view out to sea from our end room on the second floor.
The unique lift made sure of easy access.
I don’t think I have ever been to a hotel where every member of staff wants to look after you. They all seem happy in their work, and nothing is too much trouble. They are a credit to this gem of a hotel.
Finally, I must just comment the breakfast. It something to look forward to every day, absolutely delicious.
Would I stay here again absolutely. So stress free, and peaceful.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
WhiteLodgeHotel, Manager at White Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are pleased you had a stress free and peaceful stay, that’s our aim! We will pass you lovely comments on to the team, many thanks!

Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend break over bank holiday,booked a seaview room & was not disappointed by the fantastic view of Filey bay. The hotel is a hidden treasure in Filey,that has been renovated in recent years, beautiful dining room, great food & drink with the best views across the bay. The staff were most welcoming, accommodation very comfortable, great location in Filey & good outdoor space to sit and enjoy the the weather, hope to return again

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
WhiteLodgeHotel, Manager at White Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2019

Many thanks for your lovely comments! We are pleased that you chose to stay at the White Lodge and that everything was to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you in the future!

Reviewed August 30, 2019

We stayed at The White Lodge Hotel for 3 nights and found it to be excellent. The hotel is located overlooking Filey Bay and we enjoyed sitting in the garden taking in the stunning view the view with a glass of wine in the evenings ( they have a good wine list! ). The beach is 2 minutes walk away and the town is 5 minutes walk along a beautiful rose lined promenade ( or you can walk along the beach ). The hotel decor is modern and tasteful. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are spotless. We ate in the restaurant where many ingredients are locally sourced: I had the Filey dressed crab and it was delicious. The staff could not have been more helpful, friendly and professional. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

1  Thank Nicedayout
WhiteLodgeHotel, Manager at White Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2019

Thank you for your excellent review! We are pleased that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed Filey! We will pass on your kind comments to the staff who will very much appreciate them!

Reviewed August 30, 2019

We booked very early and had Room 5 - on the corner with a duel-aspect view and balcony on the 2nd floor. Absolutely AWESOME view over the beach and sea, with a lovely balcony with comfortable seating.

Room 3, 2, and possibly 1 were next to us an also benefit from the same views and balconies but Room 5 is on the corner with room 1 on the other side so the best views will be 5, 3 & 2.

The rooms above on the top floor also had great sea views but no balconies.

Our room was clean, bed was super comfy, nicely decorated, and with comp.water and a TV (not that we used it)

Bathroom was very small but had a bath and shower - we didnt care because the view and balcony were more important than a big bathroom and it was a good shower.

Check-in was super efficient - and friendly - we pre-booked car parking which was right out front - very glad we did because parking WAS a problem in peak season / bank holiday / on the roads but probably not a problem any other time.

The receptionist told us parking was easy round there but we couldnt find any spaces when we checked out and had to park in the public area (‘country park’ was longstay and nearby / 10 mins walk). They have limited parking so definitely recommend pre-booking if you dont want to park on the road and are coming in peak holiday times.

The bar area was very nice - lovely decor - nice music, GREAT gin & whisky selection - they had Slingsbuys rhubarb gin - my fave and not easy to find in my home area. It was about £9 for a G&T so not cheap but it was a good one and we enjoyed the bar area and separate lounge area.

Outside garden terrace was lovely and sunny. You cant see the sea from the garden due to a hedge to block the road but there is a large grass area / putting green / out front with loads of benches facing the sea which is lovely.

I didnt like that someone was smoking (not vaping) in the garden whilst we were eating - the tables are close so it is unpleasant if you are a non-smoker. Staff didnt say anything so assume it is allowed despite no ashtrays on tables.

The terrace area in the garden allows sandwiches and chips only - but the crab sandwiches were amazing and the chips were excellent!! We shared one between us easily. The local ALE was also great.

Evening meal - I struggled, since I cant eat cream or pork, disliked mushrooms and steak so was not left with much I could eat. Just unlucky that day I guess as I am not usually fussy! Would love to have seen a pasta dish or a plain chicken dish (no cream). The waitress didnt offer to help me out with adjustments on the menu so I felt a bit trapped on what to order.

They had a ratatouille on the menu which I was excited about until they told me it was a ratatouille SALAD - de-constructed ratatouille ? EH? Why would you take apart an iconic tomato based vege dish and serve it with salad (vege and salad together as a main dish?) and a tomato sauce on the side? Really odd and the description of it put me off - the waitress didnt exactly sell it to me - doubt she had even eaten it to be honest - I would have ordered that dish if it was just normal or perhaps better explained. Sauce on the side is hardly appealing. Fish and rattatouille or chicken would have been lovely. Or perhaps the chef can better explain the dishes to the waiting staff so they can sell them to guests.

Opted for fishcakes off the starter menu which were fine. Bit dry but the salad was nice and service was fast and efficient.

Deserts sounded great and we had the cheese board which was nice and plenty to share.

Wine list / choice / was excellent and well priced. Best wine selection we came across on this vacation.

Service was good and breakfast was as you would expect and the fruit and yoghurts were nice too.

We had smoked haddock for breakfast - excellent - but the scrambled eggs with it were poor - (microwaved I suspect and no seasoning or butter). A poached egg would have been nicer with the beautiful smoked haddock. The fish was really lovely and deserved better. Lol.

Would have liked to see more fish on the dinner menu - the crab salad had sold out which is disappointing as we were only a few tables in that night but I understand that such things are subject to what is available from the fisherman. I woudl have loved to see fresh langostines - hate it when seaside restaurants have farmed prawns and farmed salmon on menus.

Suggestions for future:

* Stock up on crab and dont de-construct dishes which don’t need it
* Would have liked to see kippers or kedgeree on the breakfast menu
* Farmed salmon and farmed prawns are a no-no for us especially on the seafront.
* Prefer shower screens to shower curtains in bathrooms.
* No smoking in garden during lunch service.

Honestly though - these are minor things and we absolutely loved it here and thought all the staff were lovely and the property was great - will definitely come back.

Incidentally - we WERE looking at Whitby originally - so glad we didnt stay there. It was sooooo busy and crowded - full of flying ants that day so we couldnt even sit outside by the sea - and horrible parking - when we got to FILEY we were only sad that we wasted time in Whitby instead of coming straight to peaceful, gentle, pretty Filey instead! The beach was lovely and so was the town. Cheaper than Whitby too!

Thanks for a lovely stay.

For the price this place is amazing value and very classy.

Room tip: Room 5 has duel aspect sea view and balcony - on the corner - Rooms 2 & 3 also have great sea view and balcony
Date of stay: August 2019

Wow what a detailed and thorough review, we are sure it will be very much appreciated by other readers.

Room 5 is a favourite room for many returning guests we are pleased that you enjoyed it!

We appreciate all feedback and will pass on your suggestions to the appropriate teams. We endeavour to locally source as much produce as possible - despite being next to one of the largest ports for landing crabs and lobsters, sometimes we struggle to get enough as most if it is shipped abroad! And our salmon fishermen have had their licences limited to reduce the number of salmon caught along the North Sea Coastline for the benefit of sport fishing north of us....

Reviewed August 28, 2019

We stayed at the White Lodge over the bank holiday weekend and thought it was wonderful.Our room was a double with a sea view and balcony (Room 2) and it was tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom with lovely fluffy white towels. The staff were all very freindly and we enjoyed drinks in the garden as we were blessed with glorious weather .We choose the English breakfast and it was delicious using very good quality local produce and there was also a selection of cereals, fruits and yogurts. We can't wait to stay again and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room tip: Room 1,2 and 3 have sea views and balconies
Date of stay: August 2019

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and a bonus that you got to enjoy the sunshine in the garden. We look forward to welcoming you back!