“Felt ripped off”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Felt ripped off”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Went to the restaurant for a wedding anniversary celebration, the starters were excellent though they took forever to arrive, as did the main course which is where I have a grievance. We both ordered fillet steak paid what you would expect, but got the smallest pieces we have ever been presented with, which were accompanied by a much cheaper cut of meat (brisket?) The fillets appeared to be flattened and stretched to make them appear bigger? We feel very cheated, although in smaller writing the menu did mention another cut of meat because of the pricing we expected a 'normal ' size piece of fillet with the other cut just being an extra. We would never go again, the service was slow, and at no point did anyone ask if we were enjoying the meal. I feel very strongly that the menu is deliberately misleading and dishonest.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“What happened, it used to be a favourite restaurant!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We used to go here regularly a few years ago, so it came as a shock to leave never wanting to go back. We went for lunch, there were only about 4 tables being used in the whole place, yet our main courses took over 45mins to arrive. I had ordered sea bass, I got two tiny tail end pieces, from which I just about got three mouthfuls of fish (this is genuine), a bit of rocket lettuce and it all sat on a filo pastry tart disguised as a thin round piece of cardboard. My friend had the duck, which came with chips and a green bean mix (£18.95). They said it was ok, luke warm, nothing special, but had a hard time enjoying it seeing the nano portion of food I got. We missed seeing that there were veg portions (checked after extra £2.95), but strangely we were not asked or advised about the veg. Seeing what arrived on other tables, the extra for the veg wasn't worth it. They were obviously not having a good day, right as we were complaining, the table behind was complaining as well, one of them had ordered a meat pie and they were disappointed to only find one piece of meat in the meat pie. They did take the price of my main course off the bill - quite right, who wants to pay £16.95 for what was not much more than a quick sniff of some food. Our complaint was not handled well, so sadly we won't be giving them a second chance. However, we did end the lunch on a better note by whizzing across to Fodder and having tea and cake!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Idunn_Leeds
Edinburgh
“Yet again a fantastic meal but find the bedrooms a let down”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The staff were excellent and most helpful. For the meal I started with Scallops in a pea risotto which was superb. My wife and I both had the duck which was cooked to perfection. The waiter had recommended and excellent wine at a very reasonable price. We had coffee in the lounge where my wife spotted two candle holders she admired. The staff offered to find out where they were bought and a few days later I was sent the information. That is wonderful service.

I still find the bedrooms a disappointment and my wife thinks the double beds are just too small. Having said this I know we will be back again as the food alone justifies a visit. We might see if there is somewhere nearby to stay instead.

north yorkshire
“First Class”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had our wedding reception here for a group of family and friends (26 of us)
On about the snowiest day of the year,
From arrival into the cosy lounge for pre dinner drinks we all started to unwind and relax.
The meal itself was in the upper private dining room, all was perfect from the food to the great service.
Most of us stayed in the rooms which were clean and comfortable and enjoyed a delicious breakfast together. All in all suberb, nowhere in Harrogate seemed to offer the "whole package" for our size of gathering.
A special thanks to Enzo for his great managerial skills.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The food is outstanding! We came over to stop for one night, the room was exactly what you need clean and fresh. And the food was just brilliant! I would definitely recommend.

• Visited October 2012