“Perfect midweek retreat”

The General Tarleton Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferrensby
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at the General Tarleton for 2 nights in April for my partners 4oth and have to say we were very impressed. The service was excellent throughout our stay, check in process was very easy and we were shown to our room which was lovely, fresh white linen, a large modern bathroom (with bath!) and some wonderful biscuits with our tea and coffee. We booked in for an evening meal and the quality of food blew our socks off! we had a wonderful meal in an intimate setting and the food was just so creative and tasty! It was so wonderful we ate there on our second night! Very highly recoomended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I were taken as a treat for our 50th birthdays by wonderful friends and wow what a treat it was too
The rooms were lovely and the biscuits were fab - the bed was so comfortable , we slept like babies ( the great food and wine may have helped with this too!!)
John Topham and his team provided stunning food both savoury and sweet were simply perfection and i have to say that i have never eaten a sticky toffee pudding like it, it was truly amazing ( and that wasnt even my pudd!!!) I went for the Rhubarb selection as I love Rhubarb and it was the right choice for sure especially when coupled with the ability to 'borrow' sticky toffee from my Hubby!!!!
The breakfast too was great , superb quality produce and a really nice conservatory breakfast room
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff ....for sure we will be back..... (soon I hope!!!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lovely reception and welcome to this little restaurant/hotel where you are greeted with coffee and a minature home-made cake. Once checked in we were lost at the back of a lunch party so had to move attract attention and to then get to enjoy the coffee. The rooms although fairly functional are very comfortable with fluffy towels and Molten Brown shower gel (body lotion would be a lovely additon). Coffee and fresh milk is provided and a promise of home made biscuits. Having visited twice I have never seen the biscuits (maybe the cake at welcome takes this place) and maybe my third trip will be lucky ! The restaurant food is utterly fantastic and faultless as is the service from the waiting staff whic excellent, though some seem a bit nervous of the man in charge. The experience is a little less relaxing when the same man undertakes his staff training, table setting, resetting and rearranging whilst diners are enjoying the end of the meal. I am sure this shows the passion for the job but there is a time and a place. The breakfast experience feels much more relaxed with a lovely assortment fruit, jam, croissants and of course cooked breakfast. It may be worth advertising to guests when the bar is unavailable to pre-dinner drinkers when if it is booked for a private party as sitting reception is a bit blustery. I am sure this was a one off but so can such trips. Would definitely go back

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently during a trip to Harrogate the food in the Resturant was beautiful (I had the Bels Burger), the hotel is situated in a nice peaceful area and the staff were all very friendly, my only fault was that at 2.30 in the morning I had a knock on the door that woke me up and I went to the door and NOTHING not even in the corridor !! As I said to the staff next morning it wasn't their fault and I can only put it down to the paranormal as there were only a few people there and they were older visitors!! It was a beautiful hotel with wonderful staff and wonderful food, it's just a shame I wasn't there for longer so I could have sampled more of what looked like a beautiful menu full of food, I must also say that the breakfast the next morning was wonderful too, this hotel is a little gem and would recommend it for anyone looking for a top class hotel and Resturant.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Dezza88
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had our fourth anniversary here inspired by the cookery books of John Tophams that we use at home. We were not disappointed. Stunning, stunning food. A master at putting flavours together. A completely delightful evening and the room was lovely too.
It's billed as a restaurant with rooms. I would fully agree...an incredible restaurant. We will go back!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Second visit in 6 weeks and I have to say it was even better than the first. Stayed in room 14 which is decorated in calming pastel shades. Immaculate throughout although the bath does need re sealing and the extractor fan in the bathroom is rather noisy. That said it was fabulous. The service was first class and the food in the restaurant was beautiful. I had crab lasagne to start which was nothing short of amazing followed by monkfish which did not disappoint. The entire feel at the General Tarleton is one of relaxation. The staff quietly go about their work to ensure you have a wonderful stay. I would recommend this place to anyone. You will not be disappointed. Enzo as always was very accommodating and an asset to the team. Well done - please keep your very high standards up. I will be back again very soon.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013

lovely place. staff friendly and attentive. fine dining, well presented wine list extensive.
rooms well appointed and comfortable.
but small things spoiled it,
a ripped net curtain, only 2 bulbs worked in bathroom, toilet seat loose, teas stains and scuff marks on the walls...little grips yes would have got 5 stars if these had been attended to.

Room Tip: ground floor room near car park/service road little noisy as i think there only seems to be single g...