Grinkle Park Hotel
$109
  • Breakfast included
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club(Saltburn-by-the-Sea)
$76
TripAdvisor
Dunsley Hall(Whitby)
TripAdvisor
1,112 results
All reviewsafternoon teaclassic lodgeson arrivalcream teacourse evening mealsconescountry house hotelrelaxing breakbridal suitebottle of proseccobed and breakfastbeautiful hotelfree upgradethe north yorkshire moorsno liftlog firewedding party
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went to a private wedding function here. The setting is tranquil and perfect for a wedding. Unfortunately the quality of the surroundings is not matched by the food and staff service. We had a three course meal which in all honesty was one of the worst I have ever received when eating out. The beef was supposed to be Sirloin, I would like to have challenged the chef on this! (everyone was struggling to cut and chew it) The vegetables were served in very small quantities to the point where I had to request more as there was not enough to go around. I like my vegetables lightly cooked but these were nearly raw. The sauce was tasteless. The whole meal was a shameful disgrace.
Overall I was very disappointed and very confused by the good reviews. All I can say is choose somewhere else for a function the quality could not be any worse!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
RIbbott, General Manager at Grinkle Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I was exceedingly concerned to read the points that you have raised. Unfortunately I was not present at this particular wedding due to hotel commitments elsewhere. Never-the-less the service and quality should not have been any different to the normal standards that we pride oursleves on and indeed are well known for.
We cater for for in excess of 100 weddings annually and pride ourselves on truely great quality, service and attention to detail and this remains very much in my core values.
I will be reviewing the points you have made with my team and indeed suppliers and taking appropriate action where neccesary in order that we do not lapse so alrmingly again in the future.
Rest assured I am passionate about qaulity, service and guest hospitality and whole heartedly thank you for bringing this to my attention as without your constructive and valued feedback I am sometimes unaware of our shortfalls.
I do appreciate that it is sometimes diffecult to express your concerns on the actual day itself, however, as a hotel we do have measures in place to ascertain guest satisfaction on the day which appear to have not been implented otherwise we would have been aware and could have addressed some of the points that you raised.
Once again thank you and please be assured this is absolutely a one-off situation and will be investigated.
With kind regards
Richard Ibbott, General Manager

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at Grinkle Park Hotel for one night on route to a ferry. The hotel is set in a very tranquil location; it’s close to Whitby and even closer to the stunning North York Moors. As you turn into the drive the gatehouse sets an expectation of what’s to come, this expectation rises as you proceed with azaleas and rhododendrons lining the route to the impressive house. The welcome at reception was very professional, efficient and above all friendly. Our room was called Commondale which overlooks the lawn leading down to the lake and woodland walks.
The room was excellent and fully met the high expectations set by the initial drive through the grounds. The tranquillity of the house and the grounds cannot be overstated. Just a short stroll leads to secluded woodland glades where the only noise is that of birdsong or the hammering of a distant woodpecker.
Breakfast was excellent with a very good choice to suit most tastes.
One night was not enough, we will return soon to further explore the grounds and the wonder North York Moors.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the grounds are preferred,
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was a beautiful setting for wedding reception however the food was dreadful supposed to be sirloin only good enough as shoe leather tastless and tough.Poor vegetables and not enough to go round table. Sticky toffee pudding fair but only teaspoon of ice cream. How mean.Portions varied in size as and Yorkshires missing on some plates.Staff not well trained poor service. Will not reccomend to anyone.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your review. May I firstly apologise that we did not meet with your expectations.
I can honestly say that 99% of the time we get right. First time every time. I was unawre of any quality and service issues on the day, and will endaour to ascertain what happened and take remedial action.
My produce is always top quality and I am passionate about this, and indeed ensuring there is plenty of it and a service to match.
I do some 100 weddings annually with fantasic feedback so rest aqssured I take these points very seriously.
Once again many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your review
Regards
Richard Ibbott

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed just one night, and had a warm greeting on arrival. We arrived at around 9 PM, and the pre-ordered ploughman's was soon delivered to us in the bar, complete with delicious warm rolls. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We travel a lot and stay in many different types of hotel, and rate this one highly. The bed was very comfortable and the room spacious. The breakfast was cooked to order and with high quality ingredients - NOT one of those ghastly places where poor quality cooked food is left out for you to help yourself. Interesting historic building in lovely grounds in a pleasant rural location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. Sounds like we ticked every box for you.
Come back and see us again soon. The kettle is always on and a warm welcome awaits your arrival
With kind regards
Richard Ibbott

Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was expensive for what it was. We do a LOT of travelling staying in UK hotels & this was a poor 4*. The food was less than mediocre, the room was below average & the bed small. Very few 'bits' in the bathroom....just the basics you would get in a budget hotel. Breakfast was cold. Staff not particularly friendly or welcoming. Would not return. Such a waste of a beautiful building and stunning grounds.

Room Tip: Don't go there! Spend your money elsewhere!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was absolutely mortified to read that we have failed so miserably.
I can only presume that you were in one of our smaller rooms (unfortunately we have 2 of these).
We as a team have gone to great lengths to get our food service and facilities right for the market place we are in and firmly believe that we exceed with these in comparison to some comaprable 4 star properties. Nevertheless we failed to deliver and meet with your expectations for which I humbly apologise.
Once again many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your reveiw, I only wish that perhaps you could have brought this to our attention at the time of your stay then we could have possibly redeemed ourselves.
With kind regards Richard Ibbott