“Good veggie options”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Easington
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Good veggie options”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went for a weekend away at Whitby and stopped off here on the way home as it had good veggie options, it is just off the A171 and easy to find. The food was lovely and very good portions, all home made meals. The place could do with a slight refurb. Staff were pleasant and provided good service.
Recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Briana R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Well where do I start our glasses looked dirty and where really badly scratched . The table our arms where sticking to them and the place matts well I've thrown better away , our food came I ordered steak burger and chips well the chips were just awful full of grease and the burger it wasnt a steak one it was like a cheap frozen thing so I paid £9.00 for a bit of salad really my hubby got chicken curry that also got left . The place looks like it wants a good clean

Stayed May 2014
Mark M, Owner at The Grapes Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit.

We have a policy that customers are asked both shortly after their food is delivered to the table and at the end of the meal, whether everything was ok. I am assured by the shift supervisor that this was the case during your visit. We offered you two chances to inform us that all was not well with your meal yet chose to deny us two separate opportunities to make amends. Our steak burgers are made for us by a local butcher and are fresh, our chips are hand cut and cooked in fresh oil. We sell hundreds of portions of chips and have never been told they are greasy. The curry is prepared fresh to order by our chef.

Your comments about the tables have been noted and we have changed our cleaning methods to deal with it, also we have replaced the table mats. Your comments about the pub needing cleaning are unfair, The building is clean but in need of refurbishment as it had had been neglected for some time prior to us taking over.We are in the process of refurbishing, and as you can imagine with a building this size it is an arduous and ongoing project which we are doing as quickly as time and money allow.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Whilst planning my holiday to North Yorkshire I looked into where me and my boyfriend (a vegan and vegetarian) could eat out whilst away. Unfortunately there is quite a dearth of places offering vegan food anywhere near (less than an hour's drive) the village we usually visit. Not even Whitby, a relatively large town, offers a vegetarian restaurant so it seems (although I'd love to be told otherwise?). So I came across the Grapes Inn in my research prior to our journey and we decided to give it a go.

Positives included great service, with a very attentive server, who offered us more information on their forthcoming vegan buffet nights, as well as very large portion sizes and so good value for money. I appreciate many of the comments about the decor of the pub as it is very dark (dark red painted walls and dark wood) and would benefit from a general freshening up, however there was a lovely roaring fire next to where we sat and, as aforementioned, the service could not have been better.

The food was good, pub food. My partner had the lasagna, which came with an ample amount of garlic bread and I had a vegetable curry with rice AND chips. I felt my curry was more like a spiced vegetable stew due to the vegetables and spices used but it was pleasant enough and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was the best food we'd ever eaten but not much pub food would be described in such a way, and for the price and options we had to choose from I was very impressed. Also, the portions could actually have been a bit smaller and we would have still been satisfied but I suppose that comes down to personal preference.

We now plan on returning in the summer for their vegetarian BBQ options and would urge other vegetarians that visit the area to support the pub's efforts to cater for people with different dietary needs.

3 Thank Beebyontour
Leicester
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Grapes is an old Georgian coaching inn on the A171 to Whitby. It is well situated for the North York Moors and Whitby. The building could do with a 'make-over' in certain areas such as the toilets and the room of the pool table but the twin bedroom that we stayed was fine and warm. The restaurant was good too and the food tasty with good choice and Yorkshire portions. Real beer at the bar was pleasant to see, and taste. The staff were helpful and polite. Lot of parking and it was easy to find. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rear rooms have no traffic noise but front rooms have a view of the reservoir. Little traffic at nig...
3 Thank oldhenry21
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stopped for Sunday Lunch.> Wide selection of cool vegetables and poorly cooked meat. Pork was inedible and the beef would have been better in a shoe repairers.
Friendly enough gentlemen who needs to wake up to serving warm food, good quality meat that is tender to eat. and finally take care with regard to food hygiene and the serving of food.

4 Thank Stewart g
cheshire united kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We could not have been made to feel more at ease and relaxed. The owner has only taken over a year ago and really trying to build up its reputation . Good location as easy to get to most places. The chef was off on out visit as slightly out of season but Mark russled up some supper for us and we were very pleased and enjoyed it so much we had the same again the second night . Breakfast delicious .. Brill stay .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank stella m
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Delightful meal in a stunning establishment with a roaring open fire. All welcome, good ales, including GF option too!!

Landlord and lady very welcoming.

Can't wait to go to their Thursday night steak night, 2 steaks for £20.

Love their ethos which is good pub food using top quality local ingredients.

Oh and it's in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors as well, what more do you need.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Delbwoi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easington
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,964 reviews
Cleveland Corner
Cleveland Corner
#4 of 6 in Staithes

Been to The Grapes Inn? Share your experiences!