“Birthday surprise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Birthday surprise”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I would just firstly like to say a big thank you for making my mums birthday such a fantastic experience which she stills tells people about.

Myself, my sister and mum visited in December for my mums birthday. We had wanted to do something that little bit special for her so chose the champagne festive afternoon tea. Some people may look at the price and think it's a tad costly, however we wanted something special and were more than happy to pay.
Upon arriving the hostess was a delight and very welcoming, the setting was perfect and we were seating at a window table over looking the grounds.
The portions were just right and what we couldn't eat they offered to pop in a box to take home. The food was of great quality and they catered to my vegetarian requirements.
There was no point during our visit that we were made to feel rushed, which unfortunatly some places do.
After our afternoon tea a lovely gentleman offered to show us the wedding suite and reception rooms as we had mentioned considering Crathorne Hall for my wedding.
To round it up we had a fantastic experience and are already planning our return visit. Thank you to all the staff we have the pleasure to meet, you truly did make our mums birthday not only a great experience but a treasured memory.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Gorefield
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a great weekend at Crathorne. We have stayed here with our family well on well over 10 separate occasions and it always feels like going home.

The unique thing about Crathorne Hall is that it really does feel like staying in a proper country house. The rooms are all in the original house, not some separate new build wing so you really feel like a guest at a house party. The staff are the real stars at Crathorne. We no longer have to order breakfast, since everyone seems to know what we like.

Even when things do go wrong, and they did on this visit, they are always sorted promptly. You just can't help but fall in love with this place, it's just very special.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a champagne getaway with handpicked hotels that included a bottle of champagne in the room, three course evening meal and breakfast the next day. The quality of everything from the champagne to the meal and breakfast the next morning was excellent. Our room (the badsby suite) had a balcony which had stunning views and was very spacious. The staff were really helpful and friendly. It was midweek February so wasn't very busy which was nice. Some very atmospheric lounges to have drinks in all in all great value, great quality and very warm. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: Badsby suite has a balcony, there only appeared to be two rooms on that side with a balcony. Top flo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Gary W,
It was delighted to read that you had a great experience at Crathorne Hall and indulged in a Champagne getaway!!

Lovely comments that certainly highlights how we wish to make sure all our guests have a great time and are made to feel special.

I hope we will get the opportunity of welcoming you back to Crathorne Hall in the near future.

Swaffham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited for afternoon tea on Sunday 16th February, my husband chose the savoury "elevenses" option and myself the traditional afternoon tea. Both were fabulously presented, and included plenty of imaginitive delicious options for vegetarians, as we had informed the waiting staff of this on arrival.
The staff could not have made us more welcome, they were friendly and attentive but left us alone to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings with our glasses of champagne, until the food was served. We had a very pleasant afternoon and will definitely return in the future. Well done to all the staff for creating such a lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sheena T
Dear karen56Durham,

Thank you for a wonderful review regarding your recent visit to Crathorne Hall.

I was really delighted that you enjoyed the full afternoon tea and elevenses which is always a special treat from the lovely freshly cut sandwiches to the naughty treats!!

We do change our afternoon tea treats throughout the year so I hope you I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

kind regards

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, tranquil and peaceful. You enter through grand gates and a drive along a beautifully long winding driveway to the carpark (we arrived as about 60 people were exercising in it which is probably a weekly or one off but slightly surreal in the tranquil woodland of a valley). It is grand and vast with large staircases and corridors all beautifully decorated, with wonderful grassy and woodland grounds as well as beautifully ornate gardens. It was a really restful stay. Staying in the week only, we saw mainly solo business people staying who were all off early in the day and breakfast had a wonderful calm feel to it even at 7am, where you dine in a huge double height room with a beautiful carved stone fireplace and impressively large paintings on the walls.

The room was beautiful decorated with sumptuous deep colours and lots of fabric and curtains and separate blinds which really blocked out the light if you need it or pop blinds up the sun pokes through the curtain perfectly for people that like that like me. The bathroom was clean and fitted out with sparkling chrome and glass and beautiful stone tiles with a wonderfully warm towel rail. Heating is all on central heating radiators so you have to play with it a bit to get it right and the views from the room are something else. We were lucky enough to have our request met to have a balcony room which they did even last minute. Rolling valley with a river through it, it was magnificent to watch even on the overcast days.

Staying with my partner Duncan for the week who booked it, and both on business I was titled Mrs ?! on a few occasions which is a funny assumption to make these days, alas it made us chuckle, especially when we embarrassed the waitress who also assumed we weren't sharing a room, let alone a bed (god forbid) while dining at breakfast. It was all innocent in an attempt to give us a warm service which echoed throughout our stay, although sometimes inconsistant, in contrast on the plus side for instance, we were given a room change to a room with a balcony at last minute which was really lovely of the reception staff who were all fantastic and so polite, and the breakfast hostess was so much fun, personable, human and bubbly while remaining polite chatting away, making breakfast the best part of the day, however on other hand we had wrong orders twice on one occasion from room service menu but too late to sort out so I left it with a good apology from front desk, but received no further apology / refund explanation which I'd expect when technically I've signed and paid for something wrong, (however wrong items were left off bill we discovered at end of stay as was room service delivery so got it right there), staff knocked on door waking me up with a do not disturb sign instead of just popping it on the door as asked as it was missing, no room cleaning for 2 days (nor communication as to why it wasn't attempted) as I was in the room for 2 days, and then had a cleaner clean the room with me in it at my request without saying a word to me and generally sounding noticeably miserable and huffy (fair enough it's a hard unrewarding job, but if you're in the service trade (which I am) sometimes you have to put on a brave face with customers present no matter what, everyone is paid the service charges evenly so a cleaner should be just as presentable as a waiter) this inconsistancy might be due to a large volume of younger keen staff with a lack of presence of someone in charge (I didn't see anyone visibly in charge during my stay, although breakfast hostess seemed in charge a little but not visibly)

The room service food was delicious, and the cocktails we had sent up too were delicious, if a little thin and small on the side for a long glass but still delicious and cold and brought direct to the balcony on instruction from us without even knocking on the door so we could just sit and admire the view (now that's service in my eyes, listening to exactly what we wanted). The breakfast was so delicious. They cook to order all hot food (including porridge with cream or water if you're good !) and it comes out pretty fast. The ingredients are all local and ethical and delicious. They even have honey from the grounds which is in a small kilner jar which you'll have to spoon into a bowl yourself so don't miss it ! We tried most things from eggs benedict / royale, to waffles (which these had been made to order and not pre bought) fried breakfast, all were delicious. You can help yourself to all the usual continentals but the hot stuff comes out freshly made to order.

Overall this is a beautiful hotel with some really talented service personel (reception / breakfast) who will give you a wonderfully calm and peaceful stay in some beautiful countryside. Do go for a walk in the grounds and see the old derelict glass / gardening summer houses, there's a rich history to this place that you wont get just from staying inside the hotel. It's perfect for lavish business, romantic getaways (I would definitely spoil my partner here) and solo retreats to gaze and ponder. I will definitely go back, even not on business, this stay was particularly memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the valley offer the best views, and there are only 2 rooms with balcony's whi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Tristan C
Dear Tristan C

Thank you for your very kind review regarding your recent stay at Crathorne Hall.

I am always pleased to recieve construtive feedback from our guests and I was really delighted that overall you both enjoyed your stay with us and I did appreciate the detail as we continue to strive to exceed the expectations of our guests by offering the best and most friendly service that makes you feel at home.

All my team will be enjoying your review and I hope we may get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Crathorne Hall is a luxury country house hotel where we stay sometimes on visits to family nearby. It has proven in the past to be not only convenient, but also a really nice place to stay. Eleven years ago when we first visited it was freshly renovated to subtly update the grandeur of the original building, it now feels a bit jaded and down at heel.

On this trip we were only staying the one night on an unscheduled family trip and so declined the offer of a discounted upgrade. In hindsight probably a mistake; we were tucked away up in the attic, in a much smaller room that the grand rooms we have been used to on previous trips. The heating also seemed to battle this far up in the building. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean but oh my goodness behind the TV cabinet was a nightmare of dust and cobwebs and underneath the bed was a pile of trash from previous inhabitants. I cannot abide dirt in any hotel, let alone upmarket hotels and the dirt in this room was inexcusable.

We took afternoon tea at Crathorne and the accompanying scones were acceptable. We did not have dinner at the Hotel on this trip. Breakfast was as superb as we remembered from previous visits with both my husband and I choosing the full English. I did not however appreciate being scolded by the breakfast restaurant manageress for my not waiting at my table long enough to order cooked food before I went to fetch myself a glass of juice and a yoghurt; I am nearly fifty years old, travel extensively, have stayed in more hotels across the world than I can remember and consider myself perfectly capable of making decisions about what, how and in which order I approach breakfast.

Perhaps time for Crathorne to drop the school rules attitude from staff in the dining room along with investing a bit more in cleaning staff?

Room Tip: Avoid the nursery / attic level. Paying for an upgrade on the main floor is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine K
Dear Katherine K

Thank you for staying with us at Crathorne Hall.

I am always pleased to be sent construtive feedback from our guests and it was lovely to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I appreicate your points you have raised and as a business we do re-invest in the property every year and we also have planned maintenance to resolve any concerns as this is a large old building to look after. You will be pleased to know that we have already resolved the areas you have commented on and will continue to offer the best of environments and experiences to our guests.

Great to hear you thought our breakfast was 'superb' and we will continue to work hard in achieving our guests expectations through our friendly service and high standards.

I hope we may get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We decided to take exclusive use of Crathorne Hall for our wedding on New Years Eve 2013. We could not have be happier with our choice. The surroundings are gorgeous with fantastic views of the grounds from the rooms at the rear of the property. They are well furnished and comfortable, the Bridal Suite is amazing. The food is delicious, of a high standard and even for almost 80 guests was served in a timely way and hot.

The staff our outstanding - Jamie and Rachel were our wedding planners, Eli the concierge is really helpful and even cleaned my wellies! Alan the Chef went the extra mile to really look after our guests and even let us have a pudding not on the menu. He was happy to adapt the menu to suit us. Our own MC was guided through the day by the Crathorne team ensuring everything ran smoothly.

The rooms are all individually decorated and named which makes it feel unique - some of our guests even extended their stay. We spent quite a few nights there during the planning stage and felt at ease and taken care of.

The wedding team recommended the Sunshine Daze Band and Impact Technical for our fireworks both suppliers were first class. It is not easy arranging a wedding when you don't live nearby but Jamie and Rachel were always there to assist.

To summarise our wedding could not have been better, our guests had a fantastic time as did we! We will never forget the amazing efforts of all the team from the housekeeping staff, who managed to turnaround all the rooms by 1300 so our guests could get ready after long journeys, to the waiters and waitresses who were still smiling at 0130!

Peter the GM leads a great bunch of people at a lovely historic venue. If you are choosing a wedding venue or a night away go for Crathorne Hall - many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RBBucks
Dear RBBucks

What a great wedding this was at Crathorne Hall on New Years Eve!!

It was a real pleasure to meet you both before the wedding and the team and I were over the moon with your review.

A special day for a very special couple and we wish you all the best for many years to come!

I hope we will meet you both in the near future.

With Best Wishes

Peter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Swinton Park
Swinton Park
#1 of 5 in Ripon

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!