“Didn't meet our expectations”

Crathorne Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Yorkshire Uk
“Didn't meet our expectations”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I read lots of good reviews before we booked Crathorne Hall so maybe our expectations were too high. It is certainly an impressive building with well kept grounds and friendly staff. All the food we had was well presented and appetizing but we had a misunderstanding with our afternoon tea. It was including in our package and we were expecting sandwiches, cakes and scones but were informed we were only entitled to scones and tea, if we wanted anything extra we would have to pay for it. Our booking confirmation just stated we had a package so I had no way of checking what was included. I had queried this when I got the booking confirmation and was told they just send out a generic confirmation to everyone regardless which package has been booked. I found this rather odd at the time but was assured the hotel knew what we had booked. Anyway we had the tea and scones and the scones were delicious. The room overlooking the grounds was all set for afternoon tea and was quite busy when we arrived. We were asked if we had booked a time but no one said we needed to. We had booked a time for dinner but not for the afternoon tea. We were shown to a different room which was no where near as nice as the room where everyone else was having their afternoon tea so I ased if we could have ours there. The staff member then took us to the better room and removed a reserved sign from one of the tables.

Our evening meal was good as were the pre dinner canapes served with a glass of sparkling wine. Drinks were at the top end of what I would expect to pay in a hotel of this class at over £8 for a glass of wine.

We were really disappointed with our room having booked an upgrade we were expecting it to be much nicer. The bathroom was small with nowhere to put anything, not even a hook to hang a dressing gown. The tiles were cracked and the grouting round the bath was black. I couldn't believe it was so bad after all the good reviews I had read so I have taken a photo as I wouldn't believe it myself it I hadn't seen it. We had a limited supply of toiletries, unlike our friends who has supposedly the same grade of room. Their room was much better with a much better selection of toiletries, a huge roll top bath and seperate shower cubicle, unlike ours with the shower over the bath. I know it is an old building and all the rooms are individual but there was a big difference between the two rooms and they should never have been in the same category.

When we checked out we noticed we had been charged for afternoon tea which we had already paid for in the package. We were charged for the full afternoon tea including cakes and sandwiches which we had been told we were not entitled to. The receptionist did take the cost off but it made me think we should have has the full selection not just the scones.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review following your stay, naturally I was disappointed to some of your feedback.
I would like to assure you I have looked into your comments and fed them back to the team. The promotion you were booked onto does include Cream Tea not full Afternoon Tea, as the Hotel was particularly busy we were serving Afternoon & Cream Tea in both the Nancy Tenants Lounge and Drawing Room, I am pleased that you were swiftly moved to the Drawing room on your request and enjoyed the tea & scones included in your package.
I have shared your praise with Chef regarding Dinner, I am delighted you had an enjoyable meal. With regards to the pricing, wine starts from £4.30 per glass in our Leven Restaurant which is in line with the area so I am surprised you found this to be expensive.
As the Hotel is a former home each and every bedroom is different with no two rooms being the same. The Hotel has invested over £60k in an ongoing bathroom refurbishment with the first 3 bedrooms now complete, the room in which you stayed is due to be refurbished shortly. Please rest assured that your bedroom was the same classification as your friends, as each room has different features and views of the surrounding areas.
If you are looking to return in the future please don’t hesitate to contact me so I can personally oversee your booking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
France
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Crathorne Hall really is a unique property and is set in beautiful grounds. It was a refreshing change from all the standardised branded hotels out there and has real character. I stayed with my husband and 2 small children and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or accommodating.

Room Tip: The Glaisdale Suite was fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that your family was well looked after by the team.

I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Amazing venue for a wedding attended in August 2013. Rooms are stunning, and the staff are just superb, couldn't do enough for you and the service during the reception was impeccable!,
Lovely grounds to accompany a wonderful old building!
I cannot fault it, but if I had to have one negative note ( for the staff to read) one person let them down!! The grumpy night porter who was asked to remove a key that was stuck in the door at 12 o clock, He slammed his boxes on the floor, marched upstairs and pulled the key out, when thanked, he didn't utter a word while storming off!
As you can see I still gave this 5 stars, as one person should not let the team down!!!
10 stars should be awarded for the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Crathorne Hall Hotel, I am delighted to hear you did enjoyed your overall experience & hope you enjoyed the wedding party you were attending.

I am disappointed to hear you did experience a negative encounter with a member of the team. I have spoken with the team member in questions as this behaviour is not appropriate, although the nights department is an integral part of the team this behaviour is not acceptable.

May I pass on my sincere apologies and hope this incident will not deter you from visiting the hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Mark
Manchester, England
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in August. Having stayed in Handpicked Hotels before we were expecting good things and this hotel was no exception. As soon as our car drew into the car park we were met by Robert who carried our bags and he was not an exception. All the staff were friendly and helpful and couldn't have done more to make our stay more pleasant. The food was beautiful both in the restaurant and the bar meals and I am a professional cook so anyone will tell you that I'm REALLY fussy! My only small gripe would be that I paid for a deluxe room and I'm not sure we got one judging by the description on the web site. However that said the room was really clean and comfortable, our bathroom could have done with an overhaul but it was spotless with loads of hot water and my husband - known in the family as 'grumpy pants' said it was the best country house hotel he's ever stayed in and we're booking next year!

• Stayed August 2013
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Crathorne Hall, it is always a pleasure to hear from guests who have visited a number of properties in the collection.

I am delighted to hear that the team were on hand to make your stay a pleasurable one, I have passed on your kind words to all of the team- in particular Robert and the kitchen brigade who have made a positive impact on your experience. If there is anything you would like to challenge the kitchen team with on your next stay I am sure they will be keen to impress you again!

Please rest assured the room type you booked at reservation was allocated for your stay; however if you would like to discuss this further with me please dont hesitate to contact me on mclayton@handpicked.co.uk or on 01642 706661.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Mark
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at Crathorne in August with my wife, my sister and brother in law, such a magnificent residence, with a lot of history.
The service was first class, and all of the staff were very obliging and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear that you had such a good time while staying here. We are very proud of Crathorne Hall that was finished in 1906 and the history of it as well as the wealth of famous faces it has seen over the years.
Flitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

It is always a pleasure to stay at Cranthorne, the staff a genuinely pleased to see you. We had a wonderful welcome from Elie who remembered us from a previous stay. Chris looked after us in the lounge and restaurant and Christa on the desk very efficient and friendly. The standard of accommodation is first rate and the food is just devine.

Room Tip: Norton room had the most amazing bathroom with a cast iron roll top bath and a view to get lost in
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review; it was a pleasure to read such positive comments about your stay and the team. Elli our porter has been with us over 20 years and is passionate about the hotel and ensuring our guests enjoy their time with us. I have passed on you kind words to Krista, Chris and to our head chef Alan and his team about their “divine” food.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, Norton. The bath in Norton is original from when the building was finished in 1906 and is one of a number of original features that we still have in the hotel.

We hope to see you again soon at Crathorne.
Staffordshire
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were impressed with the building itself and the service on arrival was excellent. The room/bathroom was very nice, however, there were no mirrors at all in the bedroom and when I needed to dry my hair I could not plug the hairdryer in, in the bathroom where the only mirror was. I mentioned this on check out so hopefully they will rectify this. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were good. We booked dinner for 7.30 but unfortunately, we did not get to go into the dining room until 8.15 and by the time we got our first course it was 8.30, which was not good. We booked dinner early because of my digestion system which means that I cannot eat too late of an evening.
Saying all this, we did have a lovely time and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you had a lovely time while staying with us and will recommend the hotel to others. I have passed on your feedback to our maintenance team who are looking to see if mirrors can be added to the bedroom- I appreciate your constructive comments.

I am sorry to hear that you had to a delay prior to dinner, your comments have been fed back to our Food & Beverage manager who will investigate with the team.

I do hope that you return to Crathorne Hall in the future, if you would like to discuss any of the matters further with me personally please don’t hesitate to contact me on 01642 706661 or mclayton@handpicked.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
The Cleveland Tontine
The Cleveland Tontine
#1 of 1 in Staddlebridge

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!