“Old world architecture meets modern comfort” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Newcastle, UK
“Old world architecture meets modern comfort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked here as an impulse purchase for a mid-week getaway. Through my own stupid fault I'd booked the incorrect month, but the hotel very kindly sorted this out for us with no bother at all.

The hotel is set is beautiful park land, and you do feel rather grand driving down the winding drive to the main house. I was warmly welcomed by charming reception staff and swiftly taken up to our room. We even had the extreme fortune to be upgraded to an Executive room.

The room itself was very large, with a lovely view of the grounds. The bed was perhaps a bit on the soft side, but that's just my preference - I slept well anyway! It was spotlessly clean throughout.

We had a few drinks in the bar in the evening, which had a lovely log fire going. Staff throughout our stay were a delight.

We were so well looked after here, and we can't wait to plan our next visit.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Crathorne Hall. I am glad to hear that our reservations team were able to efficiently amend your booking to a new date so that you were able to stay with us. I am delighted that you found your stay so pleasing from the moment you arrived down the grand drive through to the moment you left. It is always a pleasure for me to read that my wonderful team here look after our guests so well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and when you plan your next visit. Please do contact the hotel before your stay so that we can allocate and book you in a room with a bed that is more to your preference.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The hotel at first sight is impressive.

But there is where it finishes. Reception is efficient but the dark brown hall carpets are sadly dated and dour.

The standard rooms are pleasant but bathrooms completely unheated. The doors looking tired. Night tome turn down very poor. No attempt to freshen towels it tidy anything...why bother.

But its the bizarre restaurant. The head waiter at dinner was off hand and inefficient.

The bar man in the bar area was however excellent and enthusiastic.

The food was poor service unbearably slow. Yet on 12 dinners.

Breakfast similarly poor. Stained table clothes chaotic service and poor food. The buffet being exceptionally limited and tired.

I know the manager will day why were these points not raised. But the atmosphere wad not conducive, the self congratulatory awards implied othat criticism was not acted upon. And for a 1 night stay why bother complaining...its really not worth the effort.

A sad opportunity lost.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mango213
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am saddened by its contents. To receive negative feedback about our service is extremely rare and I have since discussed your review with the management team who are unaware of any problems that you have raised in this review. It is difficult to read and for me to understand the reasons why you did not feel it was ‘worth the effort’ to share your feedback with the team at the time. I would like to fully assure you, if you had you made me or any of my team aware of how you felt at any point during your stay we would have positively addressed the issues you have raised in this review and would have ensured that you had a memorable and enjoyable stay leaving completely happy.

Of course we are proud of our awards and what we have achieved at the hotel to date. I can honestly say that all of my team are all loyal, passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of customer care and service during any guest stay and visits,. To achieve 89% AA Red Star status is an accolade that can not be achieved easily, this has been achieved with hard work, dedication and by constantly reviewing our product offering and ultimately listening to what our guests genuinely have to say.

Naturally it is now very difficult for me to address the issues you have now raised, however, I would love the opportunity to discuss this personally with you further. My contact details are 01642 706661 or email mclayton@handpicked.co.uk.
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overnight stay in Leyburn room,very neat and compact, everything there that was required even dressing gowns and mugs!. Food delicious all staff very helpful. Having a drink in the lounge after evening meal was very cosy in front of the log fire and it was snowing. Porter very helpful and very knowledgeable. The girl from the Philippines, who was present at breakfast was very helpful and even made one of the party a hot chocolate. We are going back later in the year for a wedding, staying overnight, can't wait.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Leyburn room, in particular that you found the food delicious and our team very helpful. I have passed on your kind words to Ellie (our knowledgeable porter) and Gloria (our helpful breakfast supervisor). I look forward to welcoming you back when you return later in the year for a wedding.
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

First impressions count and the half mile drive up to the imposing front door was a sign of things to come. The hotel interior is very grand, but somehow homely. It feels as original but with contemporary touches such as the bedrooms and bathrooms. We stayed in the old part of the building with views of the little knot garden. The bed was very comfortable as was the whole room. The views of the extensive grounds from all the ground floor reception rooms were beautiful. All the staff were very chatty and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We had pre dinner drinks with a plate of complimentary canapes in a room with a log fire. A little chilly but it was a cold february night. Dinner was served across the hall (which was also where we ate breakfast the following morning). Good choice menu and wine list and beautifully cooked. This place is full of character and a real treat. Cant wait to return later in the year.

Room Tip: we had a standard room but saw an executive suite which was huge,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BohoEssex
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay and ‘unique experience’ at Crathorne Hall. I am pleased that you felt at home during your stay and that we made a lasting first impression on you. I have passed on your positive comments to the team and given a special mention to chef and his team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crathorne when you return later this year.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

From the moment my partner and I entered Crathorne Hall we felt extremely welcome and received the highest quality service from the beginning of our stay to the end. The reception staff in particular couldn't do enough to ensure that we were looked after and felt comfortable during our stay; ten out of ten for the reception! The room was very spacious and luxurious. The evening meal we received was delicious, whilst the Apple Tatin desert with honycomb ice cream was quite simply the best desert I have ever eaten. The following mornings breakfast continued to live up to the previous evenings high standards. We left Crathorne Hall feeling pampered; full and very relaxed. I look forward to staying there again asap. When I was checking out feeling like we had been treated like a movie star, I actually saw an A List Hollywood movie star checking out next to me! This only further evidences the appeal of Crathorne Hall! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is seeking a relaxing stay.

2 Thank Alan B
Thank so much you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at Crathorne. I am delighted that my team, and in particular reception made you feel so welcome. The chef was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Apple Tatin desert and will be including it in his delicious menu choices in the future. We are very proud here of our 2 rosette’s awarded for our food and also proud of the quality that we offer across all areas no matter what the occasion or visit, Its so rewarding to read that we continue to deliver these high standards, you got to enjoy which you experienced whilst here. It is always exciting when we have famous guests staying at the hotel, but we like to think of all our guests as famous and that they are all special too. Thank you for recommending Crathorne, I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Well, what can I say.....
You really need to experience this hotel for yourself. Beautiful building set in stunning surroundings, outstanding bedrooms, delicious food but the highlight of our break were the staff. Nothing is too much trouble for any of them and they all do really go the extra mile to make your stay perfect. We have stayed at many country house hotels throughout the UK but this one really does stand out for us. One of those breaks that you just don't want to go home from. The afternoon tea is also a must have, do try it!

Room Tip: Main house bedrooms are our favourite but all are unique and individual
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review following your stay recently at Crathorne Hall. It is always very pleasing to hear that despite the grand building, picturesque grounds and beautifully decorated rooms it is our wonderful and special team here at Crathorne that attract the most praise and deserved recognition from our guests. I am very proud that my team continue to provide and offer excellent services for our guests through their hard work, commitment and dedication. I am delighted that Crathorne stands out for you and am looking forward to welcoming you back to Crathorne in the future for some more afternoon tea and relaxation! I have passed on a special mention to Ellie our long serving team member of over 27 years! who went of his way to make your stay and room so special, I know Ellie has a truly “amazing” way of remembering all our returning guests and we receive so much praise about him from guests and team members alike.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Arrived on Valentine's day for one nights stay as a gift from my husband. Whilst excited I was slightly apprehensive as to whether the evening would live up to expectations on such a busy evening.... I needn't have worried. From the moment we entered the hotel and were greeted by Robert the porter we were set up for a fantastic stay, guided by supremely friendly and efficient service all the way. We were shown up to our lovely room by Robert and everything we needed to know explained. We enjoyed a couple of drinks & some unique nibbles in our room before coming down for dinner. We were greeted by the restaurant staff and Chris the cocktail waiter provided us with a delicious Kir Royale. We were on the valentines package so selected our meal from this. It was sheer indulgence, I selected fish but my husband had the beef which was melt in the mouth. After our yummy desserts we retired to the lounge area with the open fire end enjoyed some liqueurs with coffee. A special mention to Lucy & Rebecca who looked after us so well during our meal. Breakfast the next morning was the perfect way to round off our stay. I am very particular about poached eggs and they were cooked to perfection! Again the staff were so helpful and friendly. As well as serve breakfast Anton offered to help us with our bags which was a lovely touch! This was our first time at Crathorne but it certainly won't be the last...(hint hint hubby!) thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review following your Valentines stay with us. I am glad we lived up to your high expectations of a romantic valentines evening. I am pleased the team, and in particular Robert, Chris, Rebecca, Lucy and Anton, made your stay special. Your kind comments and special mention have been passed on to the team members who stood out for you also a special praise to our chefs who cooked and produced your special valentines meal along with your perfectly poached eggs you enjoyed so much at breakfast. I hope to welcome you and your husband back to Crathorne shortly to enjoy another fantastic stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Judges Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,301 reviews
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
Chapters Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!