“Christmas at Crathorne Hall”

Crathorne Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at Crathorne Hall and it was the best Christmas we have ever experienced. The whole stay was totally relaxing and perfect from start to finish.
We arrived early on Christmas Eve as we had booked festive afternoon tea for 12.30. We checked in and were escorted to the Nancy Tennant Lounge where we had a very nice table reserved for us and advised that our mulled wine was just being warmed through. This was promptly served, followed by a delicious selection of sandwiches, cakes and scones with a choice of tea or coffee. This was as good, if not better than any classic tearoom that we have visited.
We were enjoying ourselves that much that we didn't realise how the time had passed until our room key was brought to us at 3.00pm. We finished our relaxing afternoon then went to our room, which was the Glaisdale Suite on the third floor. It was a bit of a trek but reception obviously arrange for your luggage to be delivered to your room, when asked. The bedroom was very clean and spacious with luxurious decor and furnishings. An adjoining lounge just added to the impressive features of our home for the next two nights.
We had dinner on Christmas Eve night in the Leven Restaurant and chose from the four course a la carte menu, which was very reasonably priced for such a place. However, this did not reflect in the superb quality of food, service and surroundings. We finished our night in the lounge with the usual friendly and attentive bar service.
Christmas morning with breakfast in the restaurant was a delight as the very festive, friendly staff just couldn't do enough for us and the other guests. The breakfast selection was extensive and of a high quality and the full english was perfectly cooked.
We strolled around the grounds before Christmas lunch, which were just as impressive as the hall itself, with incredible views over the valley. The exterior views of the building are nothing short of amazing. We got changed for the main event and arrived in the lounge in the early afternoon, where we were promptly served complimentary champagne and canapes. After just the right amount of time we were led to our festively decorated table in the drawing room, which was very elegant and beautifully arranged. We were supplied with party hats, Christmas crackers and party poppers at the table, which added to festivities. The service was again impeccable from all the staff, which were always friendly, jovial and smiling. As before, the time passed by without us noticing and we were sat having coffee and mince pies well after 5.00pm. We didn't feel like we were either rushed or waiting, the service timing seemed natural and relaxed.
Christmas evening was as relaxing and comfortable as being at home, which was complemented by the welcoming and cheerful staff. The service and staff throughout our stay were the most attentive and friendly that we have experienced anywhere.
We finished our stay with breakfast delivered to our room on Boxing Day morning, which was just as ordered and as good as served in the restaurant.
We really didn't want to leave and can't wait to return. We will certainly be booking for next Christmas. This magical place is very highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Glaisdale Suite overlooking the valley was perfect
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and lovely review of your Christmas stay with us at the Hall. I was really pleased to hear that your stay lived up to the high standards that we set ourselves in making each of our guests experiences special. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and the ‘attentive and friendly’ service you received during your visit. Ultimately it is our aim to make Crathorne feel like home from home to our guests so I am glad that you felt relaxed throughout your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back to Crathorne soon and hope that you return for Christmas this year! .

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just returning home today after 2 fabulous days at Crathorne I felt compelled to submit a glowing review of our wonderful returning stay at Crathorne. We stayed in the Welbury room overlooking the garden with water feature outside which was extremely relaxing and comfortable, the sun rising on a morning brightened an already wonderful room. The New Years Eve Gala Ball was everything I hoped it would be; food and wine were excellent, table dressings the same. I even got the opportunity to play in the fun casino which was very good although I don't think I'd be so addicted if it were real money ! Now for the staff, what can I say apart from excellent as they all go out of their way to make sure your stay is the best it could possibly be; so helpful and very professional and I could not fault one of them, especially after the long hard hours they work over the festive period yet still giving 100 % every time. To name a few of these stars Tracy, Gloria and Anton you really stood out. Thank you for a wonderful few days. Will hopefully see you soon xx

Room Tip: Very quiet room with great views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you very much for writing such a glowing review of your stay with us over the festive period. It was great to read that you found our ‘Welbury’ room so relaxing and that you appreciated the stunning view! We are delighted that you enjoyed celebrating New Year’s Eve with us at the hotel.
The team here at Crathorne pride themselves on the exceptionally high level of service that we offer and commit too and I have immediately shared your comments to them all and in particular with Tracy, Gloria and Anton. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Spent Christmas at Crathorne Hall for a couple of nights. A very imposing and impressive building. First impressions are so important, the welcome from the receptionist and ALL the staff service was the best I have received. Cheery, smiles on faces, professional, I cannot speak highly enough of them.

The room, whilst large, did appear in need of some decoration. The radiator in the room was controlled by a radiator thermostat ensuring you had the temperature you wanted and not what a hotel gave you.This ensured a great night's sleep was had - certainly aided by a very comfortable bed.

Breakfasts were good and plentiful with a great choice of cereals, pastries, yoghurt's backed up by a superb English served in a great dining room.

As you would expect drinks don't come cheap, a little indulgence now and again is not amiss!

How highly could I recommend Crathorne? Very highly indeed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am proud to hear that the team here at Crathorne made you feel so welcome, comfortable and at home during your time with us. It is always a pleasure to read such kind comments and that our breakfast offerings are an area in which chef & our food and beverage team pride themselves on. I note your comments on the bedroom and will investigate this as all rooms at Crathorne are constantly audited and managed around quality and product offerings and maintained on a consistent basis, I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We've just stayed for my husbands Christmas party..Again, the service was impeccable, the room was delightful (beautifully decorated and mattress sent from heaven!) and the food was tasty and thoroughly enjoyable.. Thank you, yet again... Crathorne Hall..
Fab choice for a special occasion..
Just wish you had a little Spa.. ?!?!

Room Tip: The Osmotherly room is lovely and quiet..
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your for very kind review – I was delighted to read that you had returned for your husband’s Christmas party and that not only did your bedroom and heavenly mattress exceed your expectations (we have just invested in a new beds at the hotel and the feedback from all guests has been amazing, so much so, some guests are calling wanting to know details so they can purchase one for home!!!) but also we exceeded with the level of service we offer and pride ourselves on.
Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a really charming, high class hotel, with beautiful surroundings and great customer care displayed by its staff. The suite we stayed in was fabulous and we were truly wowed by the standard of the decor and furniture. The hall itself sits in picturesque grounds and makes you feel really special just being there. We would quite happily have given this 10 out of 10 had it not been for a couple of minor negatives - our breakfast being brought to the room late, followed by the wrong breakfast arriving. However, this did not detract from the overall loveliness of the visit and we would highly recommend Crathorne Hall if you want somewhere special and wonderfully beautiful.

Room Tip: Book the Crathorne Suite if you can...its a fantastic experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay at Crathorne, I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and found the standard of your bedroom and of the Hall to be so special. Please accept my apologies regarding the delay and mix up with your breakfast, I will investigate and review this with my Operations Manager and hotel team - thank you for bringing this to my attention, I am pleased to hear that this did not detract from your overall stay.
I hope to welcome you back to the Hall again, do let me know when youplan to return so I can oversee your booking and return visit personally.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had our daughters wedding here and from start to finish a day to remember.EVERYBODY had a ball and the next day breakfast exemplary.The staff who attended us all were professional as. well done and 11/10

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mitchsan

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your daughters wedding, I am so pleased to hear that everybody who attended had such a special day. It is also very pleasing for me to read that the breakfast was exemplary, we have spent a lot of time reviewing and constantly improving our breakfast offering, to maintain our high level of service and product, due to our high occupancy levels mid week and our very busy weekends
I hope to welcome you and your family back for future celebrations.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Attended a Christmas Party here on Friday 14/12/12 and the food was below average.
The starter of Yorkshire game terrine was OK but the accompanying pieces de pain were rock hard. The main turkey course was poor, but the sweet was OK.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ian m

Thank you for your review following your Christmas party on 14th, naturally I was disappointed to hear that you found the food to be 'below average', we received only complimentary feedback on the evening both my operations manager Jamie and Food and Beverage manger Craig have confirmed this when they spoke with all tables on guest satisfaction check backs. I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you further, please can I ask you contact me on 01642 706661 or email mclayton@handpicked.co.uk.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Swinton Park Country Club and Spa

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!