“Anniversary weekend”

Crathorne Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We spent our anniversary weekend at Crathorne Hall. We have stayed there many times since we got married there in 2008. We have had a number of family celebrations at Crathorne over the years, including my partners 40th birthday in January.

Each time we stay it feels like coming home. The staff are like friends. Eli, the porter welcomed us at the door, took our bags up to our favourite room, and champagne appeared a few moments later, along with an anniversary card from the team.

Dinner was as good as ever managed superbly by Libby and Gloria ensured our eggs benedict were ready and waiting at breakfast. As hotels go, Crathorne gets better with each visit. We have stayed in far more exclusive and expensive hotels, but nothing compares to Crathorne. The management team really do make you feel like staying with old friends rather than a hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the rear lawns for a magnificent view of the valley below
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and fantastic review following your recent anniversary stay, it really is great to hear and read that you keep returning and have returned so many times on many different occasions, so much so that you are genuinely treated like friends and now feel as though you are coming back home on each return visit.

I have spoken and passed your wonderful comments onto Ellie, (every hotel should have an Ellie, who won the Hand Picked group Employee of the year in 2001) Libby (who won Hand Picked group employee of the year 2011) and Gloria (who won Crathorne employee of the year 2008) I truly do recognise that we have a very special team here at Crathorne and I do all I can to look after them.
The fact that you visit so many times and have commented that we just get better is really respected and appreciated from all levels, a very genuine thank you.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just back from a wonderful couple of days at Crathorne hall once again it was the friendly service that lifted it above the competition (Top marks for Mathew) . Despite the hall itself being imposing the atmosphere is relaxed and condusive to sitting around chatting and generally recharching the batteries.The food is top notch and they are eager to to ensure that menu suits your tastes. Even though we know the area well we will still look to visit Crathorne again if only to walk around the grounds and enjoy the hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

I love the title of your review!, thank you so much for taking the time to share your praise and appreciation for Crathorne, I have duly passed on your comments directly to Mathew.

Mathew does receive a very high level of praise on a regular basis from all our guests, that said feedback such as yours I know will go along way to give Mathew further pride nd motivation to train, lead and push our service delivery above our guests expectations.

Do contact me directly when you have a date in mind, so can I personally oversee your booking and return visit.

Thanks you once again for your lovely review, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Travelled to the North East for our friends wedding and decided to stay at this hotel as the reception was being held here also. Despite being well hidden from the road it's only just off the A19 so very easy to get to.
On arrival it's an imposing old country house/stately home looking building with extensive grounds that included pretty gardens and wandering pheasants. From check in to check out staff were always friendly/chatty and helpful and looked like they were happy in their work. Dining was a 100+ people affair so sensible and safe food was the order of the day but this was tasty and well cooked. Dancing and drinking until late seemed to not faze the staff and eveyrone still looked chipper at breakfast. A thoroughly enjoyable stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jamie H
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

I am so pleased to hear you had such a memorable experience at your friends wedding reception held here at Crathorne, thank you for your kind and lovely review.
I have duly shared your comments with all the team who I know will take great pride for a job so well done.

I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel for future return visits.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here earlier in the year, for a dinner, bed and breakfast break. The hotel itself is a beautiful old building, and the immediate grounds are lovely too. The staff were all really friendly and helpful at all times, suggesting walks etc. There was a wedding on whilst we were there (it was a Saturday), and my heart sank when I saw it as I expected them to take over the hotel. However, I have to say the hotel dealt with it all brilliantly, I was very impressed - the main restaurant and annexed bar were kept for non-wedding guests, and the maitre d' did an excellent job of politely guiding tipsy wedding guests back to the main wedding party when they strayed into the non-guest area. The food in the restaurant was also excellent quality and good service.

The main reason this doesn't get five stars is the quality of sleep and the fact that whilst the rooms are nice, there is no real wow factor. I did find the hotel noisy; we were put in a room with an adjoining door and I could hear the couple next door talking until the early hours of the morning. However other than that, a really great stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your very kind and honest review, as you know Crathorne is such a stunning building and as such we host many wedding throughout the year.

I am very pleased to hear and read that this did not distract during your stay, we do inform all guest prior to booking if we have a wedding taking place, equally we work very hard in making sure that everybody at the time of any stay are equally looked after and I am delighted that you appreciated and experienced this.

I have asked my Housekeeping Manager and Maintenance team to investigate your comments with regards to the adjoining bedrooms, this is the first time such comments have constructively been raised, thank you for highlighting this, we will review and do all we can to eliminate or reduce any noise.
We have various types of bedrooms, sorry that you felt the room that you stayed in did not have the wow factor, when you next plan your return visit please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your booking and select a room that will suit your taste more accordingly.

I have shared your kind comments with all of the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am slightly baised in my review as I my wedding reception here a few years ago. As we were visiting family in the area we thought we would return and celebrate our wedding anniversary here.
I can't not fault anything, the warm reception that you recieve upon arrival, the rather majestic drive up to Crathorne then the Building itself. We stayed in a beautiful room called Picton, the room is beautifully decorated with a huge bathroom. We ate in the Leven restaurant on the evening, the staff were very helpful in making suggestions both for the food and drink. The food was very impressive in the why is was presented as well as how it tasted. Breakfast was very good as well.
The hotel was fully booked yet it is big enough to not be aware of other people. We had a great nights sleep!
You are also a five minute drive into Yarm with shops and more food options if you are staying longer.
Highly recommend Crathorne Hall as a place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view overlooking the lawns it's beautiful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Firstly many congratulations on your wedding anniversary, I am so pleased you had an enjoyable return stay with us and were so well looked after by the all team. I have shared your kind and fantastic comments with all the team who were delighted to hear them.

The Picton room is a beautiful room so I am delighted you were allocated this for such a special occasion.

Thank you for recommending us to future guests, I hope to see you back at the Hall soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

just come back form here while at a wedding wow is all i can say from housekeepers to reception evryone had a smile the bar staff are lovely a big thank you to kelly (bella) who is lovely and should have a bonus dealing with us lot nothing was a bother to her. food was lovely rooms are fantastic dont think i had the heating on once there were so warm cleaned to a very high standard.cause there was a large group of us we had drinks in the drawing room untill the bar cleared a bit even though there were setting up for wedding there was no proplem us being there .grounds are fab as well was great watching the rabbits on a night time running round the lawns.just gutted i didnt get a haunted room was hopeing to see a few spooks never mind may you continue the good work

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sam b

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review of Crathorne, I have shared your kind comments with all of the team, passing on a special mention to Kelly.

Its not often we get guests who are let down by not getting a haunted room and seeing unwanted guests, but you never know what might happen on your next return visit now you have highlighted your preference!

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Crathorne and the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were here on a special 4 night DB&B package over the Jubilee . The hotel was lovely and we had a room on the top floor overlooking the garden, with a balcony. There were weddings every night we stayed but the booking staff advised us of this and recommended a room as far away as possible from the action and we weren't disturbed.
The staff are what makes this place as they are all so geniunely friendly and helpful. We cannot speak highly enough of them all - they really are an asset to the place. As I walked from the car park one afternoon, laden down with stuff from walking, someone spotted me from inside, opened the door and welcomed me back home - how sweet!
The breakfast and dinner were delicious. Our only criticism would be that the menu didn't change on a daily basis, and with only a small set DB&B menu, it didn't offer much choice, especially with me being vegetarian. We asked if we could go onto the a la carte, which you can if you pay the difference, but the chef came out to us on the first night and spoke to me about what I liked and not only made me a special dish for the remaining 3 nights but also promised, and delivered, a special pudding just for my partner and I on our last night. This sort of service really made us feel very special.
The location was good to get out and see Yorkshire and we would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of the hotel and kind words about the team and the quality of our food. I have immediately shared your review with all here who I know will take extra pride from your feedback in knowing that they made your stay so special.

I would like to add that I could not agree more with your comments and do recognise that I have a very special and loyal team who are committed, work with passion and dedication to achieve the highest standards in customer care and guest satisfaction, more importantly that they always go above and beyond to deliver even on the smallest of details.

I have also shared your comments with regards to the menu, and would like to add that we have reviewed and made changes for guests who are staying for more than one night.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Crathorne in the not so distant future, do ask for me on your next return visit so I can meet with you personally

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Judges Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billingham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
23 mi away
Swinton Park Country Club and Spa

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!