“Pooh pooh!!!”

Little Chef - York
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Bilbrough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Yorkshire
“Pooh pooh!!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

And I mean the toilets. Had a reasonable meal here but the toilets were absolutely disgusting. The wee wee pong hits you as soon as you walk through the door, as does a sign telling you how much Little Chef pride themselves on toilet- hygiene. There were three toilet cubicles in the ladies, and each one was covered in long-term grime, fluff and Lord knows what else. Very poor! This overshadowed anything good I could say about this Little Chef.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Rude Staff, Avoid.”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had breakfast at this 'restaurant' with my fiance on Sunday 14th October after staying in the adjacent Travelodge.

Upon arriving, the restaurant was busy so we stood waiting patiently before being 'greeted' by a guy who simply said "FOOD or DRINK??", to which i replied "food, please" and he replied "TWENNY, TWENNY FIVE MINUTES" and stood motionless while i registered exactly what he was telling me.

Yes, it seemed that he was perhaps informing me that i'd have to wait twenty minutes for a table. No problems there, the place looked busy - although I could clearly see empty tables by the window. The way in which he put this to me made Gordon Ramsay's customer service skills look diplomatic and friendly.

I decided we'd wait, as Tadcaster isn't exactly awash with eateries. So i sat in the 'drinking only' part of the restaurant. After 5 minutes i decided to speak with the staff and qualify that i was on the waiting list for a table. I was told that there was no waiting list for a table afterall! He had infact - in his immaculate, articulate tongue - been informing me that food would take 20-25 minutes to arrive once we were seated. Why on earth he hadn't sat us down and allowed us to actually order I do not know.

Such a bizarre, poorly handled incident where a rude member of staff - who i believe was the 'Manager' - was so needlessly rude and clearly stressed.

However, we got seated and ordered our breakfasts. The food was greasy spoon food and exactly what we required after a few alcoholic beveridges at York Races the day before. No complaints there, although their remained tables un-attended to with used plates remaining.

We asked for the bill, paid £20 (the bill was £18) and left without waiting for the change. The service had been derisory and we were keen to leave ASAP.

It really is no wonder that Little Chef's are almost extinct given the attitude of the manager in this outlet. Indeed, we will probably see them disappear altogether in the years to come. Dated decor, dirty restaurants and average food.

Incidentally, when we left the Travelodge and checked out half an hour later, myself and my fiance witnessed a mouse/rat in Travelodges car park. Although this may well be the fault of the hotel, it was in the vacinity of the restaurant for sure. As that information can't be qualified, i won't hold it against this restaurant and it hasn't affected my review. The terrible grading of the review is based solely on the horrible experience in the restaurant.

I'd urge you to look elsewhere if you're looking for a friendly experience in Tadcaster. Possibly the BP Garage next to the restaurant? I'm sure their pot noddle offering would be a nicer experience.

AVOID.

• Visited October 2012
Westhoughton
“Rubbish”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was one of the worst meals I have ever had ,steak and ale pie poor quality veg uneatable like rubber just under £10 with a cup of tea waste of money.On entering it was chaos there is only one way in and one till for take away and eat in people to pay and people waiting to be shown to a table which you must do even if the place is empty so there is a build up of people in the door way chaotic .Will never call here again.

• Visited September 2012
“Poor, poor and......poor.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Service was slow, food was rubbish and deals available were void!! I had Chargrilled chicken which when it came out was oven cooked and dry like the desert........complained both to staff and via little chef may as well complained to my Labrador....!

1 Thank Pembelton
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Little chef loses its quality”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Little chef was always such an approchable family stop on a journey. However, I was surprised at how much it has changed since the Heston revamp. This is my first visit to such a little chef and will be my last. It felt like a transport cafe with communal tables, tacky furnishing and dirty sauce bottles on the tables. The toilets too were tacky and smelly.

• Visited August 2012