“Nice pub but food was way over-priced!”
Review of The Three Hares

The Three Hares
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bilbrough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A beautiful 200 year old country pub and restaurant set in stunning surroundings. Good quality,freshly prepared food served 12 to 8.30 Tues to Sat. Sunday lunch 12-4. Real ales and fine wines.
Pickering, United Kingdom
“Nice pub but food was way over-priced!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I visited the Three Hares at Bilbrough as it is a good half way meeting point to catch up with a friend, so our visit was a bit "stick a pin in the map and see where we end up" ! This is a nice country pub with a nice feel about it. The Owners / Managers are friendly and welcoming. They are clearly trying to do something a little bit different with the food, but for me, sadly this did not work. The Hungarian sharing sizzling plate in theory is a good idea if you like plain food, and you dont mind cooking it yourself at your table. For me, this was sadly lacking. No seasonings or flavourings for the meats of fish. The soup like liquid was tasteless. The main gripe for me is the pice - at £24 for the plate of chopped up fish and £22 for a plate of thinly sliced meat, I find these prices extorinate to say the least. I expect top quality restaurant food for these prices, where at least a chef has had some input to making the food taste and look wonderful. Unless I am missing a trick here, this really did not work for me and at these prices I am very surprised they can make it work. They do offer a Tapas menu also, which may have been better value and involved some cooking by the chef!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank EMSEDEN66

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have just returned from visiting family at York and used the Three Hares for a meal on the saturday evening. We were made welcome from the start and when we got to the food it was spectacular in every way. My partner who is Gluten free was made aware that she could eat everything apart from the bread which made a plesent change for her. All be it we were the last ones to leave that evening and will definatly be going back for some more of this wonderfull hospitality.

• Visited March 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and hosts. Something completely different!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited The Three Hares for a family birthday meal and what a great idea it turned out to be. Using a completely unique way of serving, you cook your own tasty morsels of meat on a heated 'hat'! Its difficult to describe so you have to visit yourself. The hosts were great, a friendly, intimate atmosphere that has to be experienced. Will definitely be visiting again for the 'Mongolian Hotpot'!

• Visited March 2013
“Its different”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Ate here on impulse one evening. The place was empty with only 2 other men having a drink. The food is a dining experience not to be missed and is unusual in this area. My only criticisms would be that I thought it was a bit over priced and your clothing smells strongly of cooked/fried food after dining. We will return here again and recommend it to others for the experience.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“An unique experience”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My girlfiend and I visited the 3 hares on the recomendation of a friend who I would consider a 'foodie' as we are too, and I'm glad we took up the recommendation. Tania and Julian have really created something unique and new for York, something that has been seriously lacking for many years, so its great to see the 3 Hares back on the map.

For our meal we tried the 'Tatars Hat' which has already been described by another reviewer so I won't bother trying to compete with that, but suffice to say we both really enjoyed this 'new' way of eating, and I would suggest it would be a shame if you didn't do the same. Whilst there was only the two of us, I think it would be a great night out for a group too, as the dining experience never stops and you really interact with the food infront of you, in a very similar way to how you would with a Fondue.

There is however a but (which is why this review is only rated 3 stars), and that is that apart from on Sundays, when apparently they do a cracking Sunday Roast, no other menu choices are offered beyond the Tatar's Hat or Mongolian Hotpot!! This made things feel very limited if those options aren't to your taste. In order to return to the 3 Hares another time we both would like to see a broader menu, especially if they followed the theme they have started by doing things a little differently from the norm'.

In summary, the 3 Hares is definately worth a visit and the hosts, the pub itself, the beer and the expereince are a great new asset to York, but without more choices on the menu, it isn't one we'd revisit.

• Visited January 2013