“Excellent restaurant good accommodation”
Review of Crab & Lobster

Crab & Lobster
Reserve with OpenTable
Crab & Lobster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Asenby
Cuisines: Seafood, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant good accommodation”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the Crab and Lobster as a gift from our Son and Daughter in law. Check in is at the Manor which is in lovely grounds behind the restaurant. We were shown to our accommodation which was Ruka Lodge. All the accommodations are themed on different geographical locations. Ruka being on a Finnish theme. The lodge is lovely with a reasonably large bedroom area with seating, the hallway has wardrobes and dressing area and the bathroom has a nice large bath tub set on wooden saddles. There is no separate shower so if you wish to shower you need to get into the bath and use the shower attachment which is a shame. The lodge also has a verandah with a large hot tub which is lovely and set at 38 degrees. Seven pm sees drinks and canapés served in the Manor's drawing room. The lack of any music gives it the feel of a library which is a shame. I was also surprised to find that when ordering a gin and tonic there was no choice of gin. The drinks were also served in rather cheap glasses and despite asking for lime they were served with lemon. So this part was more of an opportunity lost I think, as the drawing room itself and the canapés were lovely.
The restaurant is quite quirky with it's maritime theme. I can see how some people have thought it cluttered but I liked it and thought it quite cozy. Service was efficient and polite. The home made breads particularly a date and walnut were lovely.
My wife hade the King Scallops with belly pork which she loved. I had the Loch Fyne smoked salmon with warm pea and leek pancakes and horse radish creme fraiche which was nice. We both had the house signature dish of lobster Thermidor with queen scallops and prawns which was just beautiful although a little unlike any Thermidor I have had before but don't let that put you off. The wine list is not extensive but fine and the Cloudy Bay did not disappoint. To finish we had the assiette of desserts which was fabulous. A really lovely dinner.
Breakfast was ok for me although my wife so enjoyed her salmon and prawn kedgeree she could not stop talking about it.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ianoona

York, United Kingdom
“'poisson fantastique'”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We visited the Crab & Lobster for lunch and, as always, we where captivated by the quirkiness of the bar, it creates a relaxed but special atmosphere. We hadn't booked but chose a table in the bar, checked tablecloths and napkins creating a 'franglaise' feel to the room. The menu is fairly large with a great choice of seafood based on French dishes. I chose to start with the fish soup and, as other reviewers have said, it is excellent. My wife chose lobster spring rolls, they looked fantastic but she found the cheese in them, which was a little surprising, made them a little rich for a lunchtime. We chose from the specials board and had halibut topped with a white crab crust, served on shredded mange tout and fennel with a bisque. Needless to say, my plate was practically licked clean. Our other dish was fillets of lemon sole, prawns, crab and scallops served gratineed, cooked to perfection again, this was a lovely dish overpowered by the cheese, others may find it okay but we felt a little rich for our pallet.

The service is excellent and the organisation was very good, every one knew their job without it being over the top. The gents, many of them appeared to be French and all wearing black suits and ties, knew how to serve, to them it appeared a relaxed art that made it feel a bit special.

All in all, a great lunch. Will we be back, without a doubt

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Il
“Exquisite dining experience”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was a great (unique) dining experience in Yorkshire. The food was impeccable and the service bar none. The seafood soup was comparable to some of the best bouillabaisse's I have had in Provence. The other dishes including the Curried Seafood was out of this world.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank viator1
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
“Good food, slow service, cluttered”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I visited the Crab & Lobster for a Saturday lunchtime with a small Group. I had high expectations having lived previously in the area & having driven past many times but not having ever gone in.

Not sure I was that impressed in the end.

Highlights were the menu choices and food, which undoubtedly were good. Couldn't really fault this. Well cooked fish for starters and mains. Equally great local cheese for afters, The drinks were also very good. Even the prices were less than I had thought they would be.

There were 2 downsides ...
The Interior ... There are small tables with so much random clutter, its like picking your way through a mine field to go anywhere, avoiding knocking down a screen, or a hung up fur coat, or a suspended pot. In addition to this, despite being the middle of Summer, the inside was pitch black aside from a couple of candles to try to read the menu by. Atmospheric for many I'm sure. For me it was the opposite.
The Service ... It took us 3 hours to get through a 3 course meal. I think this was the norm and again part of the event. It just didn't work for me. Everything presented seemed a little pretentous, with waiting staff seemingly speaking in an unusual Teesside/French style accent to play to the image/branding.

In sum, great to go to for the food, which wasn't for criticising. Or for the atmosphere if your thing. Just not for everyone & not somewhere I would go out of my way to return to.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank StuartSussex
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This restaurant really does deliver an exceptional dining experience. Relaxed ambiance, attentive staff and food that sets the taste buds tingling! It's not cheap but in terms of value it is excellent. The quality of the produce is outstanding with a strong emphasis on local suppliers. If you want to treat yourself to a great meal, this is the place to come! One tip, if you're not big drinkers, a glass of house wine is lovely and really good value.

• Visited June 2013