“A "must do" dining delight”
Review of Crab Manor Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Asenby
Crab Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Asenby
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It is refreshing to be able to review somewhere that genuinely leaves me very happy to do so. The Crab and Lobster restaurant somehow gets away with seriously tasty food in an ultra quirky setting. Its difficult to describe but it feels like "Fun but fine dining" I met there for lunch, had goats cheese to start with traditional fish and chips ( exceptionally good homemade tartare sauce)
far to full to attempt dessert, however it looked really good.

I will definitely return for an attempt at pudding!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 19, 2013

What a delightful place - quirky, difference and very nice. We stayed in Le Manoir - beautiful room, small bathroom, no shower - did it matter - not a jot, everything else made up for it. Dinner at the Crab and Lobster superb - lots of choice and reasonably priced. This is no ordinary hotel - in fact an extraordinary one - we loved every moment of our stay and will be back!

Room Tip: Just have a look on the website - every room is shown! I was worried that ours was next to the fron...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MJuneG
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I don’t know whether I’m lucky or have a great knack of choosing fantastic hotels and restaurants. Crab Manor/ Crab and Lobster is on the top of the list.
We checked in at the Crab Manor and was taken to our room (Raffles) about 20 meters from the hotel, a large well furnish lounge /bedroom a large bathroom with a massive sauna, a free standing roll top bath, well furnished. A couple of steps from the front door into a wee court yard with our private hot tub. Although I haven’t stayed at Raffles Hotel, I have been to the long bar and the Tiffin room and the Crab Manor Raffles Room does remind of the style. The Manor is very well decorated and furnished with collective appearance that some people may not like but we loved it.
After spending a couple of hours in the hot tube we dressed (smart casual) and went to the lounge for drinks and canapés, then down to the restaurant (Crab and Lobster) for Dinner, again a wonderful atmosphere and very collective. A great choice of food on the menu , about 16 starters, 16 mains and 9 desserts, the wine list was excellent although there was no descriptions, this is not a complaint just an observation.
My Partner had the Colchester oysters, with wasabi mayonnaise and hot chorizo; followed buy half of lobster thermidor with queenie scallops’ and prawns; I had the goat’s cheese and spinach soufflé with apple and parsnip cream sauce, then the haddock (very large), chips and minted mushy peas. We both couldn’t manage a dessert. The food was absolutely fantastic. Spent the rest of the evening lounging in the hot tub with a glass of wine.
After a good nights sleep we went to breakfast in the conservatory at the crab and lobster. A great choice on the menu ranging from kedgeree, salmon, haddock, kippers eggs of all sorts and the Yorkshire full breakfast (again not for wimps). The second day was much the same, hot tub, more excellent food and wine. Overall our trip to the Crab Manor /Crab and Lobster could not have been better, lovely surroundings, extremely good food and wine and the staff are fantastic very friendly and couldn’t be more helpful. The house keeping staff must have a terrible job keeping the collective surrounding clean but it was spotless. I would recommend the Crab Manor to anyone and have already booked for later in the year.

Thanks again to the Crab Manor/ Crab and Lobster for a fantastic week end.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have stayed here twice and the return was every bit as good as the first time around.
The service is generally excellent, and on a personal level.
Our first stay was in the Cipriani Palace and 2nd in La Mamounia. Both rooms were nice in their own way, and although La mamounia was smaller we liked it very much. The only thing lacking here, due to space was a flat surface for small bits and pieces such as books, keys etc.
Sunday night service in the restaurant was not as good as previously, with some disinterest from the eastern european staff once towards the end of the evening once the manager had (seemed?) to disappear. Some heated discussions in Polish behind the scenes made it difficult to be served at the bar. The food as before is superb in all ways.
Overall though, the stay was fantastic and we will definitely return in afew months time

Room Tip: Try them all!!
1  Thank ss1968
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Me and my husband have recently stayed at the Crab Manor Hotel in the Raffles room. Big room with gorgeous interior and bathroom with roll top bath and your own private sauna, which my husband loved. Large comfy bed that you have to drag yourself out off but its worth it for the fantastic breakfast. The only down side to this room is the hot tub which is across a public pathway which you dart across quickly in your robe which is provided, and towelling flip flops. The hot tub needed filling by the maintenance guy as had a leak and in his words ' Rubbish these tubs we are going to get rid of them ' but once filled and in the water was lovely and warm. We dined in the Crab & Lobster restaurant in the evening which is not cheap but well worth it for a treat or special occasion the food is devine, and very large portions so if you want to make it to dessert skip the starter which I wish I had done. You will not be disappointed with a stay here I would love to return.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Me and my partner have just arrived back home in York after our lovely night at your charming hotel. The room we stayed in was the Lemanoir, it was lovely, bed was comfy but it did squeak a little as for the floor above our room when the occupants moved around the floorboards squeaked. The bathroom was a little bit on the small side but it was lovely. The room was clean, neat and tidy. On the night we went for a meal, and it was the delicious. All the staff were helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. I can honestly say, it's got to be the best hotel I've stayed in. Will recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Becks B
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure to stop at the Crab Manor on a mid-week over night stay at the beginning of the month.
Having stopped at other similar sized establishments around the north east region, the Crab Manor really ticks all the boxes and stands out from the crowd.
The Crab Manor is situated in beautiful, albeit quite intimate grounds, which are impeccably maintained by their staff. The Manor itself is a traditional, old brick building with an aura of real charcter and charm; a feature which is upheld with it's equally quirky furniture and fittings that perfectly compliment the building. There's a couple of random yet fun ones too (check out the yeti at the top of the stairs! - brilliant!)
From the moment we arrived at the Manor we were given a very warm welcome from some the most pleasant and warming staff I have ever met. All staff we had cause to speak to were polite, well spoken and professionally turned out. I really got the impression that nothing was a problem!
Although I never used them, there were two hot tubs and a sauna room outside which seemed to be very well received by other guests who watched the day go by relaxing with a beer or two!
I stopped in the Mount Nelson room which I found to be fun, interesting (lots of African themed fixtures) but most importantly, immaculately clean and very comfortable. The room was equipped with a large 37" television and a separate bathroom with a lovely big stand alone bath.
Although there was no mini bar in the room, a feature you may expect to find, any drinks/fresh milk etc you required are brought to your room by the attentive staff in the building who make this very clear to you upon check in. Furthermore, you will find in your room a pint glass which is kindly supplied by the hotel for you to fill at will should you find the FREE beer tap located in the Manor! On this basis, I can't hold the mini bar issue too much against the Crab!!
During the course of our stay we decided to eat in the Crab and Lobster restaurant. I found the food and service to be excellent and exceptional value for money too given the quality of the food delivered. My only advice would be not to eat too much prior to your meal as the portions are very generous but every bit delicious nonetheless!! I would also recommend that anyone contemplating eating in the restaurant make a booking well in advance as we found it got busy during the evening and there is only a small window of service every night. I must add however, despite the popularity of the restaurant, the service and attention to diners was in no way neglected which added to the experience.
In summary, as my post would suggest, I would have no reservations in recommending the Crab Manor or Crab and Lobster restaurant to anybody considering going there. Excellent value for money.

Gareth.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Superterry79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Asenby
The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferrensby
The Ripon Spa Hotel
The Ripon Spa Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ripon

Been to Crab Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!